Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 03:22 AM
Registered Member

HELP EMERGENCY!! Too much "Purple Up" added what to do?

HELP please,

I'm a little freaked out right now. I was dosing my tank with purple up and well the bottle is 3/4 gone and at the bottom the calcium build up was pretty thick.

So i shook up the bottle really good and poured some into my tank, but accidently went overboard and poured too much in. I think i poured about 15-20 ml into my 100gal + 25 gal sump. The tank got really cloudy and now i'm afraid this might have an adverse affect on my corrals and fish. Should i do a water change now? or just wait it out.

I have a lot of expensive corals and fish and don't want to lose them over night. It's 1:30am so i need help fast!!!

Thanks in advance

Bao
Old 01/11/2008, 03:33 AM
:::===( @ | }

I don't think that is a lethal dose, purple up and other aragonite supplements always cloud the tank. You can do a water change if your worried.

btw
[welcome]
Old 01/11/2008, 03:38 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the peace of mind that things should be ok.

Anyways sorry for not introducing myself to you fellow reefcentral members. I've been lurking and searching for many questions that i've had since becoming a saltwater-aholic.

It's been a year since i've started my tank and without the many valuable information and articles from reef central, i wouldn't be able to keep my tank healthy and thriving.

Thanks again!!!

Bao
Old 01/11/2008, 03:52 AM

The main problem with the aragonite type supplements is that the small pieces dissolve at different rates and it is not a very stable supplement to use, kalk would be a better choice for a 2 in 1 supplement.

Here is a better artical on purple up like supps...
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...y2002/chem.htm
Old 01/11/2008, 03:57 AM

btw, what were your Ca and alk readings before you dosed?
Old 01/11/2008, 04:08 AM
Registered Member

when brian was over at my house he explained the purple up thing and i switched to a two part supplement. i still have a almost full bottle of purple up. my coraline is doing better than with the purple up.

thanks brian
Old 01/11/2008, 04:25 AM
Registered Member

when brian was over at my house he explained the purple up thing and i switched to a two part supplement. i still have a almost full bottle of purple up. my coraline is doing better than with the purple up.

thanks brian
Old 01/11/2008, 08:32 AM
Reef Chemist

The cloudiness is likely just aragonite (sand). You just need to wait for it to settle out. Since we don't really know how much of what else is in Purple Up, it is hard to know what else might happen.

FWIW, if the water is cloudy with fine aragonite, alkalinity tests will read falsely high. Calcium might as well. So wait for it to clear before testing.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Just woke up and checked on the tank. All of the inhabitants are doing well, so luckily for me i didn't mess up too bad.

As for my CA levels prior to dosing it was at 400ppm. I also use Tech-B parts A/B as well to dose my tanks. I only dose them every other day. I feel that there's no need for me to dose everyday or even every other day. My tank isn't that full of corals, so they don't use up a lot of the trace elements and what not.

I also do a 10% water change every week or 2.

I'm just glad that everything is fine and that next time i do add chemicals to my tank i have to really really becareful and use a measuring device and not be lazy.

Bao