Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/23/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Acan....aussie or Indo

Give me your advice...I am not sure.
Old 08/23/2007, 12:58 PM
Resident physicist.

Ehh could be either.

I've seen stuff indo stuff looking that nice, I've seen aussie stuff not looking half as nice.

If you paid a few bucks per polyp chances are it's indo though...since shipping would be expensive on a piece that size
Old 08/23/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

I beleive it's indio, I have a colony about 7x8 that is, looks exaclty like that.
Old 08/23/2007, 03:45 PM
Hydrophilic

It is 100% impossible to identify the collection location of A. lordhowensis just by the color/pattern. That holds true for virtually all corals. The ones that look really wild are often labled "non-Indo/Japanese/Aussie" whether they really are or not. Its a really nice colony- dont worry about where its from.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 08/23/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

agreed
Old 08/23/2007, 04:50 PM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

If I had to guess, I'd say it was not an Australian piece, based soley on the size. I have not seen any Lords come in from Australia yet that were that big. FWIW, I am by no means an expert and I'm sure there are people in this forum who have seen more Lords than I have.
I do agree that it is a nice one. If your inquiry is to detrmine if the selling price is/was a good value, let the coral speak for itself, not the alleged country of origin. I'd say the going rate for a colony that size and color should be around $160-$200.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08/23/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

SPStoner
I am confused about why you are posting a price when I simply asked for what type it was, but thanks anyway. Also, the pic is a close-up. And just wondering because someone asked me what origin it was.
Thanks.
Old 08/23/2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hens4Fish
SPStoner
I am confused about why you are posting a price when I simply asked for what type it was, but thanks anyway. Also, the pic is a close-up. And just wondering because someone asked me what origin it was.
Thanks.
Only mentioned price because typically threads like this asking if something is Aussie, or Japanese, or a Tyree LE piece, are posted because the poster is considering a purchase and wants to know if the asking price is justified, but are afraid to ask if it is worth a certain price for fear of getting flamed. I'd venture to say that 9 out of 10 of these threads are for that purpose. I meant no insult, only stated what the going rate would be for that piece. I judged the size by the fingertip in the picture, so estimated it to be about 7 inches or so.

Cheers!
Old 08/23/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Sorry man, long day at work has me punchy. The piece is actually about 8-9 inches, but I appreciate where you were coming from. Thanks for the input.
Bill
Old 08/23/2007, 10:40 PM
Friend to Vallonia

It really is a beautiful piece
Old 08/23/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

indo
Old 08/24/2007, 12:19 AM
hamster

We need the owner of cquarium or [formerly] ebay's ecorals (has since stopped selling under their ID) to chime in and explain again how "indo," "japanese," and now "aussie" are simply explanations for how much money a seller can charge and never had anything to do with their origin...

Either LOL or CSSDFMMTDS (crying self to sleep due to flagrantly misleading marketing tactics of dishonest sellers), take your pick.

That being said... Nice coral!
Old 08/24/2007, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

Indo
Old 08/24/2007, 05:28 AM
Premium Member

Thumbs up What He said.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hormigaquatica
It is 100% impossible to identify the collection location of A. lordhowensis just by the color/pattern. That holds true for virtually all corals. The ones that look really wild are often labled "non-Indo/Japanese/Aussie" whether they really are or not. Its a really nice colony- dont worry about where its from.
Old 08/24/2007, 06:16 AM

Re: What He said.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scythanith
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Hormigaquatica
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't say it is 100% impossible, but how about highly unlikely? I would bet I could get 3 or 4 out of 10 guesses correct
Old 08/24/2007, 06:29 AM
Moved On

aussie
Old 08/25/2007, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

Indo
Old 08/25/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

So I have 50% indo and 50% aussie...thanks for the clarity on the subject. Just kidding, I am gathering from your posts that it is not important. I agree.
Thank you,
Bill
Old 08/25/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ryansholl
We need the owner of cquarium or [formerly] ebay's ecorals (has since stopped selling under their ID) to chime in and explain again how "indo," "japanese," and now "aussie" are simply explanations for how much money a seller can charge and never had anything to do with their origin...

Either LOL or CSSDFMMTDS (crying self to sleep due to flagrantly misleading marketing tactics of dishonest sellers), take your pick.

That being said... Nice coral!
This article comes to mind.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/ac/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ebac/index.php

Aussie, Indo....aren't they intrinsically the same damn thing? Flame me now.
Old 08/25/2007, 05:50 PM
Slightly Obsessed

Do Indo and Aussie Acanthastrea Lordhowensis have different skeletal structures? What are fundamental differences (if any?) that would enable one to make such a judgment call? It seems kind of silly and very subjective (i.e. It's really colorful, therefore it must be Aussie).
Old 08/25/2007, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

I believe this thread is very misleading as the guy who started this thread didn't give any background at all on where he purchased this coral or when he purchased this coral. I have seen this same color morph as that beings sold as an indo lord about 2 years ago when I purchases one very similar.

As was stated above if you like it and you are happy with your purchase great. If you purchased it as and Australian Acan Lord you may want to start questioning the person you bought it from as you will see a huge price difference in the two different suppliers for good reasons.

As Ryan mentioned not all people are honest when it comes to origin of the corals that they are selling as they simply throw a name on a coral that purchase wholesale to try to get the largest return on there investment.

Last edited by Chads29; 08/25/2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08/26/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Wow, I am not trying to be misleading. I am not trying to confuse people, just threw it out there as a question. I didnt know it would cause such a problem. MODS PLEASE DELETE THREAD.
Old 08/26/2007, 10:17 AM
Moved On

I didn't find the original post misleading at all. I just think people get defensive when some may differ where they think the orgin is
Old 08/27/2007, 01:37 AM
Hydrophilic

Quote:
Originally posted by Der_Iron_Chef
Do Indo and Aussie Acanthastrea Lordhowensis have different skeletal structures? What are fundamental differences (if any?) that would enable one to make such a judgment call? It seems kind of silly and very subjective (i.e. It's really colorful, therefore it must be Aussie).
There actually is not any skeletal difference between them, so people who make a guess about origins have nothing concrete to judge by (unless they actually know the collector obviously). If there was some kind of structural difference, it would likely be considered a different species. That said, taxonomists are really finding that identifying corals to the species level by analyzing skeletal details may not even be that reliable. Most mussids (including Acanthastrea) are pretty recognizable by their structure. Something like Acropora on the other hand, whose growth pattern and skeletal development (within a single "spiecies") can actually vary wildly in response to environmental factors, can be almost impossible. I think at last count there are over 400 "species" of Acro, but because of the insane variations in development there have been suggestions that they be classified in just a handful of "superspecies" which have clear relations to eachother and arent necessarily distinguishable from one another under all circumstances.

OK, so thats a little bit of a tangent... lol..it just came to mind when I saw the question The short answer is- No. No actual difference.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 08/27/2007, 07:57 AM
Moved On

I'd be more than happy to post skeletons of both so we can see some from that perspective.