Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/28/2007, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Aquascaping Input?

I know it's sacreligious, but after a DIY 50G, I spent mucho money and went with a 125G custom cabinet and system from a local guy. I LOVE it (no regrets!) and am starting to consider my aquascaping and stocking options.

The initial aquascape is in, and I like it a lot. I was thinking maybe having a large valley in the center with no rocks at all. I also have a good deal of aiptasia-infested rock in my 50G that will move over once I figure out how to control the aiptasia in the process, so I can add more rock as needed. I have a ton of dry rock in the garage as well.

I'd like to leave it pretty open for lots of corals and good swimming room. Any thoughts on the aquascaping? It will most likely be a mixed reef, LPS heavy with very light stocking of fish (the current 2 percs, the watchman goby, and maybe a tang, flame angel, or cardinals coming later?).

Thoughts? Pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/lawandamanda/125G Ignore the photos of the old dirty 50G. :-)

TIA!

~Amanda
Old 06/28/2007, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

i recently re aquascaped my tank.........used sanjays system of brick pavers with hole drilled in it and stuck fiberglass rod in along with drilling holes in rocks and sliding them over the fiberglass rod.........makes for alot more holes in rockwork.......added rocks around the rod formations......makes for stable rocks and gets them to the top without worries of them falling.....pretty happy and can reassemble at will.......

Old 06/29/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

I'm definitely partial to having peaks and valleys. I think it creates much more visual interest compared to having rockwork stacked all the same height across the tank.

But, it's all personal preference. Just play around. I started with drawing some general shapes / layouts on paper. Then after about three tries ended up with this.

Old 06/29/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

My rock is wide at the bottom and tapers back as it goes up. I planned on having no rock touching any of the glass but then I was afraid of a rockslide. Here are some pics. The tank isn't to reefish yet but I'm working on it

Old 06/29/2007, 04:27 PM
Secretary, South Bay Reef

wow, nice pics... I use peppermint shrimp to control my aiptasia...
Old 06/29/2007, 04:34 PM
Unregistered Member

I think it looks great!
Old 06/29/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

I think the new rockwork looks awesome. I know for most people it seems like a rock wall is all the rage but I much prefer a look like yours, I just upgraded to a 70gRR from a 50g and got all new marcorocks so that I could build towers/arches like you have! Looks awesome!
Old 06/29/2007, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the input! I think I'm off to a good start, but definitely may futz around in there to get it just right. Went out today and got 6 peppermint shrimp for the old tank, to clean up the rock as much as possible of the aiptasia before moving it over, a pretty zoa rock, and a candy cane coral. Moved over a torch and brain from the old tank too. Now that there's some life in the tank, it helps to make the aquascape more real and visualize what it'll look like with corals actually on it. My biggest concern is that the rock will end up set up in such a way that it won't be coral-conducive, so to speak, so I'm trying to leave enough room for them, and not pile it too terribly high, since I'd like some SPS in this tank as well!

Thanks again all!