Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Hippo Tang w/ Yellow Belly not eating...

I just bought one hippo tang with yellow belly, he is about 4 inches, havent eat since then. Its been about a month, he is only grazzing on the rocks, rarely go out to swim. I feed all my other fishes with mysis shrimps and brine shrimp, sometimes soaked with garlic guard and Entice from seachem, some formula 1 and 2 flakes, cyclop Eeze flake and frozen. Up to now, all the fishes are doing well, he seem to be ok too, no ick, just not eating. Anyone with experience on thoses fishes?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11/05/2007, 12:42 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Try some Nori or even soft, green Romaine lettuce on a clip. You could buy some macroalgae and feed it with a clip as well.
Old 11/05/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

I received a 4" Powderblue Tang on 10/26 that has yet to eat pellet or frozen food. Like your tang it will gaze rocks all day but started to eat nori tied to a magnet cleaner everyday and I soak it with vita-chem every other day before putting it in.

You can also tie it to a piece of rock and they learn to eat faster that way.

Good luck with your Hippo!
Old 11/05/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Thanks i will try it out and see how it turn out. How long can i keep the nori on the rock or clip before taking it out? If he does not eat it, do i need to introduce "new" nori everyday?
Old 11/05/2007, 05:02 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by i2ik
Thanks i will try it out and see how it turn out. How long can i keep the nori on the rock or clip before taking it out? If he does not eat it, do i need to introduce "new" nori everyday?
Take the nori or lettuce out before it starts to break down or decompose, (which happens fairly quickly in 80 degree water.) I'd leave it hanging for a day. If the tang doesn't eat one type of green, try another.

Occasionally, you'll get a fish that just will not eat no matter what. I often try frozen brine shrimp. Though BS aren't terribly nutritious, they do sometimes get a fish into the habit of eating what you throw into the tank.
Old 11/05/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

I have been told that this kind of hippo tang is harder to feed. Dunno if its true or not, but its my first time seeing a hard to feed hippo tang. This kind of hippo tang will eventually growth up with the yellow belly and red dorsal fins.

Romain Lettuce or some other specific lettuce is better?
Old 11/05/2007, 10:08 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
The softest green sections of the Romaine leaf are more digestible than other kinds of lettuce, espcially Iceberg.
Old 11/05/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

thanks a lot, i will do that tomorrow and let you know!
Old 11/05/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Soak the nori in garlic guard and selcon/vita-chem for a few minutes before putting it in the tank and take it out when it starts to break apart. Usually the clean up crew will finish it even if the fish doesn't.

Quote:
Old 11/05/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

ok! i will go get some selcon too then :P
Old 11/05/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Here are a couple of pictures of new additions that started training them to eat nori off a magnet:

Old 11/06/2007, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

cool stuff but my hippo tang is really shy and dont come to the glass really often. He is more staying in his stag of rocks, trying to look around for some stuff to grze on the rocks. i will try putting a bit on the magnet and probably on a rock somewhere near where he stays to see if he will eventually come to it.
Old 11/06/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

flameangle88 how long did u qt ur powder blue if u did and where u get him from looks in great shape
Old 11/06/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

I didn't QT since this is a new tank with old equipments and 240# LR and 100# LS.

I got the Powder Blue from reefhotspot.com (Max is the owner and a great place to buy live stuff) along with 6 Flameangels and a juv Emperor.

Quote:
Originally posted by TD13
flameangle88 how long did u qt ur powder blue if u did and where u get him from looks in great shape
Old 11/06/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

has he gotten ich yet
Old 11/06/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Nope. If it gets ich I'll administer Stop Parasite--this worked last year but have to do it for 8-9 days and not the 5 days the mfg say. Flukes--just use Prazipro.

I will not say its not going to get ich but usually I would see the spots by now (in the tank for 11 days now) and Flukes can take up to 3-4 wks before I see signs.
Old 11/07/2007, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

My experience with the African yellow-bellies has been that they are generally quite assertive and eat readily. I've had two, the first of which died in a tank-wide "incident." The second is in there now, eating and growing like a mad beast.

Mine does like the nori, so hopefully that will work for you.

jds

Quote:
I have been told that this kind of hippo tang is harder to feed. Dunno if its true or not, but its my first time seeing a hard to feed hippo tang. This kind of hippo tang will eventually growth up with the yellow belly and red dorsal fins.