Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Seeking Sump Configuration advice...

Hello!

Well, I've finally got my 75g AGA Megaflow RR tank set up with a 30 gallon Oceanic sump in the stand below it. The sump was actually designed as a wety/dry filter, but from my research on this forum, I've removed the bio balls and I'm hoping for some guidance on how to best utilize my sump.

Currently it is set up like this. The wet/dry is empty right now and I'm using it to slow down the waterflow from the overflow before it hits the area where the Red Sea Berlin protein skimmer currently resides.

I'm looking for any and all advice on how best to arrange this sump, what I am doing wrong/right, and advice on how to include a refugium chamber in this set up. Please note that I had to put the sump in the stand from the rear before filling the tank with water. It cannot be removed, nor is there a lot of room left under the tank.

Questions:

1. What should I do with the wet/dry box? Fill it with LR rubble and run the overflow through it? Remove the box altogether?
2. Can I fit a refugium in here?
3. Currently, I have a lot of noise from the overflow. This is a gurgling, churning noise from the water. Any advice on how to minimize this?

Thanks in advance for any and all help with this.

Matt
Old 12/10/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

anybody?
Old 12/10/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

You have a picture of the setup now?
Old 12/10/2007, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

Are you able to see the diagram above? That is currently how it is set-up. I can't really take a photo because it is encased in the stand.

Thanks for any advice on improving my current configuration.

Matt
Old 12/10/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Are you able to remove the wet/dry box or is it glued in place?
Old 12/10/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Here is a good site for some suggestions and build ideas:

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
Old 12/10/2007, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

I am able to remove the wet/dry box. Thanks.
Old 12/10/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

Remove the wet/dry box. Move the skimmer as close to the overflow side as possible. Add a baffle right after the skimmer. If you can, move the other baffle closer to the return intake. If not no biggie. Then use the middle area for your fuge.

As for the noise, you can use durso pipes, aqua silencers, etc.
Old 12/10/2007, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, SuperAWE

I think I am going to do exactly that. I was considering trying to plumb the skimmer outside of the stand and boxing it in in wood to match the cabinet, but that would be a lot of work.

The only thing I need to add is the new baffle. Just three pieces of glass, right? Siliconed in?

I suppose it is OK to run my skimmer in turbulent water? I am going to try and T off my overflow outlet in the sump to reduce noise and fight the gurgle.

I will move the live rock rubble and some live sand, as well as a ball of chaeto and a 24 hour florescent bulb to the middle section, between the baffles. I should eventually add a bunch of snails and similar cleaners to the fuge space, correct?

Also, via advice form another thread, I think I'm going to extend the existing baffle slightly higher and match the new baffle to the new height. This will give me more water volume in the sump to boot!

Any thoughts on the easist way to silicone in new baffles kneeling in front of the stand one-handed from outside the glass? I expaned a 55g stand for the 75g tank and it is pretty tight under there with a 30g sump. That is going to be fun!

I appreciate the help and I'm still seeking thoughts, or further advice from anyone on this. Thanks.

Matt

Last edited by mattmck73; 12/10/2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12/10/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

The gurgle sometimes is a hard thing to get rid of. Be sure the end of the overflow pipe is below the water line in your sump and do look into the durso or aqua silencers, they will help out a bunch.

Is your sump glass or acrylic?
Old 12/10/2007, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

My sump is glass.

I'm pretty sure my All Glass Megaflow is a durso, but I'm a little confused as to exactly what a durso is. My overflow has a submerged pipe, but it also has "air holes" into which most of the overflow water goes. Does that sound like a durso?
Old 12/11/2007, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

Old 12/11/2007, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

If you have not already seen it, here's a good sump thread with some pic's that may give some idea's
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1229677
Old 12/11/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

I had a wet/dry and opened it up with a acrylic knife.

worked well