Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/19/2006, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

buying a clam ?

I would like to buy a clam, what kind should I buy? and what do I need to know about them?
I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank with 1-250w MH light, that should be plenty of light. right? and I know you need to feed phytoplankton for the clam, and I already grow that for my other corals.
thanks for any help.
Old 08/19/2006, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

I would think thats light would be ok for any type of clam. Crocea are the most light loving. you can keep it up on the rocks if you need to.
Old 08/19/2006, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

Clams will grow pretty quickly and they use a lot of calcium in that process so monitor the calcium regularly. Your lighing should be enough. When you place it on the substrate, and look down from above, the colors should be bright and pronounced. If they aren't, move the clam upward on the rockwork to a place where it will be in brighter light and not in danger of falling.
Old 08/19/2006, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

A derrassa is considered a "starter" clam. I picked my first one up last month and it's doing great under VHO lighting. I also have a kalk reactor to maintain my calcium.
Old 08/19/2006, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback.
So I should be good on lighting,
what about feeding are you suppose to spot feed them phytoplankton or just feed the tank? also what else do they eat?
also how do clams reproduce?
Old 08/19/2006, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

From what I understand, they require spot feeding when they are young and then rely less on food and more on light as they mature. Mine is 3 inches and I do not spot feed. I probably should but I don't...he's doing fine.