Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/25/2006, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Question Initial Fill

I am going to be filling my 55 on Friday and wanted to know what's the best way to clean out the tank before adding the water? I have to peel off some of the advertising stickers,etc. but also wanted to know the best way to clean out the inside of the tank? I'm just figuring a good rinse with RO/DI water would do the trick but wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Adam
Old 07/25/2006, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Use a razor blade if the stickers don't peel off good and wash down with RO/DI water and you should be ready to go.
Old 07/25/2006, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Awesome....thanks for verifying what I was thinking. It's nice to have a little support for what my "newb" mind is thinking sometime
Old 07/25/2006, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Do you rinse everything down with RO water before introducing it to the tank?

A fsh!
Old 07/25/2006, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

come on you can rince it out with the hose cant you and let it dry.
Old 07/26/2006, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

Hey guys...thanks for the input. I was figuring that you could just rinse it out with a hose but I'm living in an apartment and thus no access to a hose bib. I just figure I paid the money for the RO/DI unit so I might as well get some use out of it

I'm sure just about any way would work, I just wanted to make sure to try and avoid needless mistakes with this first step.

Thanks

Adam
Old 07/26/2006, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

whoops. well, i'm halfway into filling a 90G tank right now w/ a 30G sump. no rinsing. seriously though, there is a line in the sand with this hobby labeled "Too far" and i think using RODI water to rinse out the tank is on the other side of that line. At some point, I'm finding, I just throw my hands up and say "Who the heck cares!?" It's not a clean lab, it's a reef aquarium. It usually takes about a day before I return to my previous nerdy AR ways though.
Old 07/26/2006, 09:36 AM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

I would wipe it down with some vinegar and tap water. There is no reason to us RO water for the cleaning.