Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/18/2006, 09:14 PM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

LFS got the deal of the century

I'm moving soon next month. Sort of a last minute decision. So I had to get rid of all my livestock and LR in a hurry. The LFS was convenient.

They gave me only $300 cash for all this:

1 large hippo tang
1 large Yellow Tang
1 mandarin
1 large Gold Stripe Maroon hosted in large RBTA
2 Solomon Island Percs hosted in white sebae anemone
1 six-line wrasse
1 large Yellow Watchman Goby paired w/ Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1 friedmani dottyback
1 firefish
assorted zoos
xenia
30 hermits
30 astreas
2 Florida ricordia polyps
1 emerlad crab
1 purple reef lobster
1 large cleaner shrimp
60lbs of live Gulfview rock
90 lbs of Hirocks

Yeah, I know I could have gotten more money if I sold to the right individuals but I needed to get rid of everything in a hurry
Old 06/18/2006, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

Man, wish you would have lived closer. I would have given you a decent price on a few things. They're probably going to make 7-800 dollars profit off of that deal. But, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 06/18/2006, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

man what a deal, wish i could pick up something like that.

"algae free is the way to be"
Old 06/18/2006, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

I think I was in the store when you were there! I was eye-ballin those rocks as they weighed them wishing I had known about them before you got there.
Old 06/18/2006, 10:10 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

dang i'd take that deal!!!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 06/18/2006, 10:14 PM
SPS Freak

Should of posted it up. I know alot of people who would of bought it all for 300.
Old 06/18/2006, 11:16 PM
Life's better on 1 wheel

You could have sold it all seperate and made twice as much or more! Where in Florida is "hickville"?

click on the red house for my MYSPACE page with pics of my tank
Old 06/19/2006, 12:55 AM
SPS Freak

I could be wrong, but I'd say Ocala or Wildwood but I'm leaning toward Ocala although I don't think it is hickville but it's basically a city of horse people!
Old 06/19/2006, 06:42 AM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

Quote:
Originally posted by NicoleRM
I think I was in the store when you were there! I was eye-ballin those rocks as they weighed them wishing I had known about them before you got there.
I was eyeballin you, but you didn't know it

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveG99
You could have sold it all seperate and made twice as much or more! Where in Florida is "hickville"?
Yeah, but I'm busy with the move and don't have time for advertising and indivdual sales.

Quote:
Originally posted by jay24k
I could be wrong, but I'd say Ocala or Wildwood but I'm leaning toward Ocala although I don't think it is hickville but it's basically a city of horse people!
Alachua county
Old 06/19/2006, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

You could have sold that stuff in a minute if you would have let us know about it. I'd have done all the work breaking it down too. I don;t think Hickville is near Ocala. I think I'm the only reefer in this town and only one decent LFS. Just joined ORCA and will have to travel down to Orlando. Although Ocala is definitely horse country too, so Hickville may be close by. We've got a couple of those also besides the reef interest. Any reefers close to me, by any chance?
EuroReef Skimmer
2 Tunze 6100 Streams on 7095 MultiController
Typhoon III RO/DI
Current 1/3 HP Chiller
ACjr
65 gal remote sump/fuge
3-250 MH, 4 54W T5
Old 06/19/2006, 07:40 AM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

rdnyva,
Are you talking about that store on Silversprings Blvd? That's the only SW LFS I know of in Ocala.
Old 06/19/2006, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

Saltz Creep,

The one on SS Blvd is so-so. More of a Pet Store than a SW fish store although they carry limited sw stock and supplies. There is another one nearby called Aquaculture Links, I think. I stopped in once but haven't really checked them out yet since I didn't have my tank up and running. There is another place called Tanks-a-lot. I bought my tank there. They have a decent SW fish and good coral selection. They also have FW fish and specialize in tanks/stands and ponds. I've been to the 2 stores in Gainsville and was pretty impressed but have not had the time go back up. I think it was you who told me about them when I first moved to Ocala in Dec.
EuroReef Skimmer
Typhoon III RO/DI
Current 1/3 HP Chiller
ACjr
65 gal remote sump/fuge
3-250 MH, 4 54W T5
Old 06/19/2006, 08:56 AM
King of the Apes

I've been meaning to check out Tanks-a-lot; is it worth the drive from Gainesville?
Old 06/19/2006, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

Consider yourself lucky that your LFS would give you any $ for that stuff. My LFS won't even take stuff if you give it to them for free.
Old 06/19/2006, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Well I would never loose my stuff as easy as this. It's not the money but you know just the fact of having cared for stuff for months or years and just take it all off just because you have to relocate?
I had to relocate and it was a sudden thing to and I moved to another country yet my tank is still running is my parents house. I should have been able to start a tank in my new house and then move everything (yes with me on a plane) there but I still have to find the time to do it.
Any pics of the setup?
Old 06/19/2006, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Kong, I would give Tanks-a-lot the thumbs up. They have decent fish, a clean store, knowledgeable, etc. They just set up a coral grow out tank that is sweet. I would put it on par with the LFS you are familiar with: Ocean Exotics and (hmmm, can't remember the name of the other one).
EuroReef Skimmer
Typhoon III RO/DI
Current 1/3 HP Chiller
ACjr
65 gal remote sump/fuge
3-250 MH, 4 54W T5
Old 06/19/2006, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

LFS just get off ripping everyone off don't they.
Old 06/19/2006, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

You’ll be surprise at what kind of deals LFS gets. I've seen them get 180gal tank stand and canopy completely free. Live goods values at a few hundred completely free. Just a few months ago I help a lfs owner move a tank that one of his customer needed out because of fumigation. He got a 120gal tank, stand, canopy, 40 gal sump, four jbj pc light fixtures, 100+ lb liver rock, 80+ lb live sand, 2 small skimmers, $400+ in retail value of corals, $300+ in retail value in fish, and a lot of other stuff I can’t even remember for $300.
Old 06/19/2006, 11:32 AM
master of junk mail

Quote:
Originally posted by elvictre
LFS just get off ripping everyone off don't they.
No, not really. But hey, everyone knows running an LFS is a surefire way towards your first million.
Old 06/19/2006, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Where I live they won't pay anything for livestock and won't take liverock in case it contain toxic chemicals! So I say more too ya for getting that much from a LFS. But I am sure if you posted on the forsale forum as one whole kit at 50% off, Iam sure you could got more money! In know up here I would jump on that deal right away!