Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2006, 11:55 AM
Moved On

tunze seio vortech or mjmod

i have a 150 sps and ricordia tank help me decide..
what are the pros and cons of each.

i know the only pro to seio is the cost so iv kinda eliminate dhtem already

how does teh flow rank on the vortech vs tunze ( the stream i mean.. whos stream is wider)

do the vortechs come with contollers that automaticaly creat random currents or is that seperate

is the only benefit to vortech that they are alot smaller
Old 12/01/2006, 12:20 PM
ADDICTED MEMBER

Why already eliminate the seios?

Their problems have been sorted out and a controller is now available.

Seio is also releasing a new pump called a polario which looks interresting.
Old 12/01/2006, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

tagging along . . .
Old 12/01/2006, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

I have the Tunze's and I love the the flow, its wide but will blast the life outta of anything close to it, and you get some directional flow from it, and diff. flow patterns w/ the 7095. I've seen the vortech in action already, and from observation the flow is wider dispersed and gentle compared to the tunzes, when I put my hand in front of it, you don't feel much, but you definitely see the flow it generates around it, downside is its limited on directional flow, and no controller for it yet. That's my take on it.
Old 12/01/2006, 12:42 PM
Roughneck

I don't have any experience with the Vortechs, but I like the control options with the Tunze streams. They have an incredible flow. I use the Seio pumps on my stingray tank, but they are not on a controller(river type setup). They too have pretty good flow.
Old 12/01/2006, 01:07 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by michaeldaly
Why already eliminate the seios?

Their problems have been sorted out and a controller is now available.

Seio is also releasing a new pump called a polario which looks interresting.
Because theyre not that cheap, theyre drastically less efficient than all the other options, and if you're thinking about cost, the Maximods are better than them in just about every way.

That being said

The vortechs have wider flow than the tunzes. Maximods can have wider, or less wide flow, depending on housings/etc.

Someone talked about the Vortech's controller: Current Vortech models WILL NOT WORK on the upcoming controller. They need to be sent back, and have a part replaced at significant cost, so saying they have a controller isnt really all that true.
Old 12/01/2006, 01:21 PM
Slightly Obsessed

I'm very pleased with my Seios.
Old 12/01/2006, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Don't the vortechs have exterior motors that keep th heat, mag, shaft all out of the tank? Never used one but that would seem like a big advantage? Not sure I could bring myself to pay $340+ for a powerhead!
Old 12/01/2006, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

I have a vortech and absolutely love it. The big pluses for me are that the motor is outside the tank (like ken2927 said) so no heat is put into my tank, the flow is very wide and gentle (i have this on a small tank) and i don't have a need for controlling it yet, but the future abilities of this pump are very promising.
Old 12/01/2006, 03:27 PM
King of the Apes

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
...Someone talked about the Vortech's controller: Current Vortech models WILL NOT WORK on the upcoming controller. They need to be sent back, and have a part replaced at significant cost, so saying they have a controller isnt really all that true.

The costs have not been discussed, so I wouldnt start saying they are significant. In fact, they have come out to say they want to make the cost as minimal as possible.
Old 12/01/2006, 03:29 PM
King of the Apes

Anyways, to add.

I started out with 4 Seios in my tank. I replaced two 1500s with 1 Vortech, and I get better flow than those two ever offered. The width of the flow, and the undercurrent created by it, is so intense, that it totally dominates one 1/2 of my 90g tank.

Once they release the controller, I'll be replacing my other two Seios with a 2nd Vortech. Great product.
Old 12/01/2006, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

I love my Vortech. In my experience (mainly observation, since I've only had one problem so far, which corrected itself and has not reappeared) their customer service is excellent, so I feel pretty sure that, whatever plan they come up with to make existing users happy when the controller comes out, it will be a very reasonable one.

As for the flow, its very wide, but I wouldn't necessarily say gentle when all the way up. I have mine cranked down to about half. Its wide enough that the lack of ability to change the direction of flow is not really as big a deal as I thought it might be.

One big advantage for me is the available battery backup. You can have this thing set up so that if you lose power, it will run your pump at half speed for up to 30 hours or so. Having lost livestock during the post-Wilma outtages, that is a big plus for me.

jds
Old 12/01/2006, 04:35 PM
Mortar Target

I'm just about to purchase my 3rd Tunze and a controller to work 'em. They are pricey, bulky, power efficient, and move LOTS of water. The features and reliability keep me coming back for more. I especially like the alarm that sounds when it's time to clean.

I have mixed feelings with the large Seio's and blew one up recently (using C4). I've had too many restarting issues (or the lack of restarting) to give these a thumbs up. The smaller ones haven't been any issue at all.

I made a Maxijet mod and though the flow is nice, there are a few things to work out; mostly the noise. This can be hit or miss and I just haven't had the time or motivation to fix the issue.

I don't have any experience with Vortechs. It's a nice concept and will no doubt, improve over the next few years. No added heat in the tank is a nice feature; no aiming ability is not. Like anything else, it's give and take.
Old 12/01/2006, 04:40 PM
King Valida

The Tunze were shown to be much more efficient per watt than the seios...
I don't know how they compair to the Vortechs... It's nice to see the heat out of the tank but you can't angle them like a Stream.

I've seen one at a LFS that had already broken down (bad bearing was what I was told) (Vortech).

I'd go with the Stream myself... I have a sieo and a Stream now... The Seio added way more heat than the Stream (might be because the transformer for the Tunze is outside of the tank).
Beckett Mod Skimmer
AmpMaster 3000 Pump
Old 12/01/2006, 11:09 PM
Moved On

seio and mj mod are out... as they are not controllable and never will be ( atleast any time soon) i know sio has the controller but lets face it... its junk compared to tunzes or even what i think vortech will have

so im back to where i was 2 weeks ago before i started thinking of mj or seio

vortech or tunze lol

any one know of the plans for the controller.. i love compleat randomness. i like the alarm that tunze has it sounds like a good idea... but i like how small the vortechs are
Old 12/01/2006, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

I will be getting the a pair of the larger tunze nano streams, 6045 I think for my tank soon. I think the specks are like 1,000 gph, low wattage, magnet mounted, fully roatational, and priced right.
Old 12/02/2006, 01:27 AM

I love my VorTech - I understand why you'd think the "aiming" issue would be important - it was a concern of mine, too. But now that it's in my tank I can't really imagine how I'd want to aim it differently (100g). I plan on getting another one for the other end of the tank. Can't wait to get that other bulky Seio out of my tank.

The Tunzes would have to do backflips, clean the front glass & wash my car every week before I'd consider putting anything that large in my tank again. The VorTech is so easy on the eyes.

At MACNA they showed how to get wave action going with them

I have to admit, I'm looking forward to the controller.

2 of these on a controller is all the circulation I'll ever need for my 100g - I guess it ought to be for the price.

But it was totally worth it.

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 12/02/2006, 02:08 AM
a Buffer fish

man if they had theese kind of powerheads like 20 years ago they would only cost 50 bucks now.

This hobby is making me broke! But im still getting my vortechs
Old 12/02/2006, 06:20 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

As for the Vortech controller -
"It is going to be at least six months before this controller is out, so discussing this anymore is going to become tiresome. We (both EcoTech and IceCap) promise that this upgrade will be an enjoyable experience and that once we can reveal more information about our policy and products you won't feel misguided. We can't reveal any more information than that." taken from - http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=966729

Personally, I am very cynical about commitments from developers about meeting their expected product availability timeline. In my professional world of medical software, we call products like that "vaporware." Also, not sure if a price for the Vortech controller has been floated out yet or not.

I opted for the tunze deco rocks for both my 6100's. I get the occasional question(s) of "Why is there a hole in two of your rocks" or "Is that some kind of electric rock?" because of the cord running in the deco rock.

For me, too many unknowns with the Vortech system, with the two big ones being when and how much for the controller, if the controller is a large piece of this pie for you.

If you are looking for something today, IMPHO I would get the Tunze system.

HTH

David

Too old for women to care
Old 12/02/2006, 09:34 AM
Moved On

tunze it is.. and if i change my mind.. they can go onto a frag tank
Old 12/02/2006, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

I owned 4 SEIO 1500's.

Upgraded to 2 TUNZE 6100's w/multicontroller

LOVE the TUNZE's - get the Algae Free magnetic holders - 'aimable', ultralow profile, huge flow, low power consumption, ultra high quality, super-long connecting cords