Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

28g long nano journal

I started my tank build for this tank back in August once I realized my current 24g nano was becoming a bit crowded.

I chose to do a long tank to provide myself more surface area for my growing clam collection (8), and to allow me to continue to use some of my existing equipment. The dimensions on this tank are 18" deep, 12" high, and 33" long. I opted for an external overflow to maximize the footprint rather then a corner overflow, which I have now.

Briefly I considered T5s as a lighting possiblity, but after pricing out the cost I found it would be cheaper to stay with my existing MH setup. The tank will be lit by a 175w SE MH bulb, supplimented with actinic PCs for color. I will also run moonlights in the evening as well.

I've opted to run the tank on a calfo manifold, as I am hoping it will be able to provide the flow I need now, and in the future as my SPS matures and grows. The pump on the manifold will be a Reeflo Snapper. The ability to dial up and down the pump will be invalualbe in the future when the SPS begins to inhibit the flow.

Mechanical filtration will be provided by a Octopus Skimmer, and filter socks. As for biological filtration I expect to have approximately 50lbs of live rock in the system, plus a refugium, and a remote DSB.

Livestock will include my 8 clams, over 70 different SPS frags and small colonies, some LPS, and a few softies. Fish will include my mandarine, sixline wrasse, yellow damsel, and a green clown goby, and a single green chroms. Most of these fish have been with me for a few years at this point. I am debating the addition of two firefish, but I have not yet completed my research on them.

Overall my goal is to once again have a thriving reef tank, but on a smaller scale. I hope that I can continue to keep the costs of the build down by DIYing, or buying second hand.

Onto some photos:

The tank in its initial stages:

The supports for the manifold
Old 11/14/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

The stand:

Tank is dirty from a post leak test.

Tentative under the stand placement:

External overflow box

Skimmer:

Luminarc reflector:
Old 11/14/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Finally some pictures of my existing livestock who will soon be making this tank their new home.

Old 11/14/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Good luck with the new build. Keep us updated!
Old 11/17/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

More photos:

The tank before drilling:

After drilling:

Initial plumbing:

Old 11/17/2007, 12:30 PM
------------

The tank looks quite nice and sleek.

It also seems like you have it all planned out which is more than most of us can say.

Good luck!
Old 11/17/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Thank you.
Old 11/26/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Yeah you are off to great start. You made the tank yourself? I have been wanting to make a glass frag tank. Soon one day down the road. I just made a pair of thoes gurglle blaster pipes for my overflow and they work great. They really made things a lot quieter.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 11/26/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Yes I did make the tank, twice actually, after an accidental breakage.

The tank is actually up and running now and I will be posting updated photos shortly.
Old 11/27/2007, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

looks nice...what kinda flow are you thinking about with all those return outlets? ever think about splitting your return manifold and putting it through a OMsquirt or a SCWD?

you should sand your glass down on a belt sander too, and polish up those edges, smooth clean edges are more stable then "frayed" rough ones...especially if the tank is going to be trimless..

why did you cut the overflow down so low though? is your canopy going to hang down that far?

i am watching closely as i will be building a tank too next year..
Old 11/27/2007, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

The water level is actually at 11", and the tank height is 12". The overflow is only 1" below the 11" water level, so it really isn't that low.

There is a hood that will cover both the manifold and about 1.5" of the top glass. The canopy is supposed to be ready on Thursday from my cabinet maker.

I don't have access to a belt sander unfortunately, so the dremel will have to do at this time. Maybe in the future if I am able I can look into that option.

The flow on the return is run by a Reeflo Snapper pump so I could have flow anywhere from 0-2500gph. A SCWD couldn't hold up to the pressure from the Snapper. The plastic piece inside would probably snap from the force. I never looked into any ocean motion products because I couldn't ever get a response from them when I tried. Maybe in the future though I can consider alternative options if I find that the calfo manifold is insufficient.

Have you tried OM products? How do you like them?
Old 11/27/2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

I just set up my tank and it works pretty good with my dart pump. I think they are great. I might take 1 or 3 of the ports and run it to the bottom of my tank to blow up. I was thinking my tank I might get an 8 way OM.

Old 11/27/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

I like the way your system is set up. I love the hardwood floors, and your dog too!

Is the bottom of your tank drilled?
Old 11/27/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Looks great so far - it will be nice to see once you are done.
Old 11/27/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

I apologize there will be no photos for some time. My tank inhabitants are not recieiving my recent move. I have experienced approximately 60% die off of my SPS, and over half of my clam collection has also passed away. While none of my fish have perished since being housed in this tank, I don't think that the die off has ended.

Until my tank is more appropriate looking I am hesitant to post post tank o-death photos. If you are really interested in photos I will share them.
Old 11/28/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Okay, so I have accepted the disaster, and I am moving on. I'll post up today's parameters later this afternoon.

What I did;
- took out about 1/4 of a 5g bucket of SPS skeletons.
- removed 4 clams
- added Prime to the water to combat the ammonia (preventative)
- added in new nitrate, and phosphate sponges (preventative)

What I am going to do:
- water changes at 5g a day to avoid shocking the system any more
- keep feeding the fish a variety of foods to try and keep their immune systems strong.
- add more rock to the system. Even though I only have 4 more gallons of total water volume, my tank looks empty with my existing rock.

So after all is said and done I'm now searching out and making a list of what I would like to re-stock my system with in the future. I'm thinking I probably won't be adding anything until at least the new year so I have some time to plot it all out.

I know I would like to aquire more clams, dersa, crocea, and squamosa, etc. I also know that I would like to replenish my SPS collection, and possibly add a few softies for contrast.

Provided all my fish survive this unexpected disaster, I won't be adding anything for fish. I will most likely add additional clean up crew members though. Most likely more snails, a second fire shrimp, and possibly another cowry or two.

I've decided that I will post the photos, just because there may be something to learn from this, even if I can't readily identify it.
Old 11/29/2007, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

Wow ..That sucks...What happen to your tank?

My tank is only drilled for the returns on the side. I was thinking of running a pipe in from the side and running it under the sand. A couple of bends but worth it I think. Later down the road I would love to add a couple vortechs. No rush on them $$$. I dont evan have any corals yet.

No rush on stocking..At least you will know you have a more stable tank when you are ready..

Old 11/29/2007, 10:58 AM
------------

I'm sorry to hear about the losses. That's really tough to take.

I'm not sure I read correctly... Did things go wrong once introduced to the new tank? did you use aquarium safe silicon to make the tank? i.e. one without 'mildew resistance'
Old 11/29/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Things went wrong about a day after introduction to a new tank. Yup, it was the correct silicone. I don't know what triggered it but here is what I think happened;

Death of fish in transit -> used rock from dead fish pail but no water-> put everything else in new tank -> death of 1 clam one night -> funky smell the next day -> water changes -> more funky smell, death of 2 more clams & RTN begins -> more RTN -> me having a break down over this & the moving process -> cleaning out the skeletons -> another water change -> more RTN (there is nothing left now) -> here I am now.

Everything remaining in my tank now has been with me for awhile. Some things, like a yellow damsel have been with me for 4+ years. Nothing in the previous tank was doing badly, everything was just crowded. Crowded as in, you look at the tank funny and a frag or colony would fall over.

I have 92 separate types of frags & colonies last Friday, and I have maybe 4 or 5 pieces that still retain a tip of two of color or polyps. They are basically write offs. There are 3 clams remaining, a gigas, and 2 dersas. I lost a giant maxima, 2 tiny croceas (one gold and one blue), a giant crocea.

Today all fish are doing fine, and parameters are looking okay again. However the smell persists, so there will be another water change later in the day, as well I will be mixing up the media once again.

Rosseau,
Thank you for your condolences.

Erics3000,
Sounds like the idea will work. I'm glad you chose to do something now rather then later. I really love watching how your tank progresses.
Old 11/29/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the problems. You're setup looks awesome though. I bet it'll bounce back in no time.
Old 11/29/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Thank you.

I am liking the system though, all the livestock drama aside, it turned out better that I could have hoped. The hood is going to be installed tomorrow, and same with the toe kick.

I bet tomorrow I will suck it up and will post photos, death aside and all.

Everyone has been so nice about everything, so it makes me feel better. I've had several offers from people to provide me frags, to host my remaining SPS (before they died off), and one super kind promise to replace my favorite fish.
Old 12/02/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Photos of the disaster.

Just after I got all the fish, rock, clams, and corals into the tank. This is prior to turning the Snapper pump on, and bringing the sump online.

The sump before it was filled with cheato, reactors, and filter floss.

First moments of the overflow in use.

Noticing something is wrong with the SPS, and the two clams in the right hand corner. This is 2 days after the move.

FTS of the beginning of the disaster.

The first of 3 pails of dead skeletons.

Aquascaping and remaining SPS. More RTN.

The tank today. I have what can only be described as the beginning of a cycle.

The tank o-death in its full glory.

I'm doing what I can to just keep things under control at this point in time. It really sucks....
Old 12/02/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Gotta hate RTN of SPS. I see my old clams are still doing well Hope all comes around soon for you.
Old 12/02/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Thanks! I hope things turn around soon too.
Old 12/02/2007, 08:45 PM
w3rd

man im sorry about your losses. i hope you can stop everything and save what you can.

what happened though?