Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/21/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

i think i may be adding a large blonde naso into the system within the next couple of days but concerned because i have heard that nasos and clown tangs may fight a bit and i dont want to inhibit myself from being able to keep clown tangs again in the future
Old 10/03/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

well the lfs screwed me out of my blonde naso so i guess no worry there lol. but i would like to mention that i will be adding a large calcium reactor to the system within the next week or so, because i cannot keep up with the calcium levels in the system and have lost a couple more acros lately. and i honestly figure for the cost of losing acros i can buy the reactor get everything running correct and then replace them. also i will be playing around with lighting some to see if i can get my corals to flourece a little more, and will be adding an aquacontroller. so in other words i got a busy week ahead of me.
Old 10/03/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

WOW! an 11 foot tank awesome makes my 215 look like a nano.Love to see a huge tank with lots of tangs did you ever get an achilles? that my fav.Also how big of clean up crew do you have?1 million or so crabs,snails,and starfish
Old 10/03/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

WOW! an 11 foot tank awesome makes my 215 look like a nano.Love to see a huge tank with lots of tangs did you ever get an achilles? that my fav. Also how big of clean up crew do you have?1 million or so crabs,snails,and starfish
Old 10/03/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

saltwaterchris no i did not get an achilles yet however i do plan on it. and as far as the cleaner crew i honestly am not sure how many of what i have anymore, although i do know that it is not nearly enough. as far as tangs right now i have two yellows, a blue(hippo), a tomini(flamefin), and a sailfin. other fish include 3 perculas, 2 fiji blue damsels, 1 arabian dottydack, a china wrasse, a banana wrasse, 3 lubbocks wrasse, a verigated rabbitfish, an algae blenny. although i do have to fish 2 clowns and 2 lubbocks wrasses out of the sump
Old 10/06/2007, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 11FootReefer
Just thought I\'d throw my 2 cents in...

I just purchased this SAME tank in July (it\'s still sitting dry waiting for the stand to be completed).

First I have to say that I have never COMPLETELY read a 9 page thread...but since I have this same tank, I found it very interesting.

Second I have to say that CrackedBottom was absolutely right. Maybe he just came across the wrong way because it was over the internet. However, when I met up with the GlassCages 18 wheeler to pick up my tank with the 14 foot U-Haul, the delivery people made it a point to make sure I knew to put the tank on a flat solid surface with 1 inch foam between the stand and tank. They said that if not done this way, OVER TIME, the tank WILL crack. If you don\'t believe it, go to vendor feedback and do a search on GlassCages. I bet everyone in there bashing GlassCages didn\'t follow the companys instructions! An 11 foot piece of glass just \'floating\' in mid air with 3500lbs of wieght on it doesn\'t make ME sleep good at night!! Now take that same 11 foot piece of glass and put it on a solid topped stand with 1 inch foam on it, and the entire bottom sheet of glass is supported. That is the thing everyone was trying to get across - maybe not so successfully. I\'m sure no malice was intended.

And so everyone knows, this is the longest \"standard\" tank that GlassCages makes. If you take the 130 inch tank and go 130x36x36 with it, it takes the price up by thousands - instead of the $1400 price tag. (when you add in all the holes drilled, overflow boxes etc etc, it comes to $2000) I ran into the same issue...I wanted 130x36x36 but not for THEIR price. I HAD to go with the 130x24x25.

That was a GORGEOUS birdsnest by the way, sorry to hear of it\'s fate. Keep us updated and pleeeeeeeeease fix the stand...or you might be posting in the vendor feedback section sooner than you had hoped.

H2H
Pete
i know this is repetative , but both of the persons suggesting that the bottom needs to be supported by foam are correct and supporting the whole lenght of the glass solely on the plastic trim is not the correct way to do this . if not wanting to use such thick foam support then the stand should have been made to so that the plastic trim drops down over the sides and then the bottom is supported by a solid piece of plywood , preferably 3/4" with a thin layer of foam . on small tanks it is not much of an issue but on tanks with glass panels as long as yours it is an issue . this is not written as to bash you , as that is a beautiful tank but as a warning to those that are considering a tank this size in the future .
Old 10/06/2007, 11:41 AM
DIY Junkie

why donj't we just let the stand talk die!! If you've read any of this thread, you'll know that the tankis currently setup and full of corals, as well as being in it's second home, and no floods
Old 10/06/2007, 11:46 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

It is up and running pretty good now( on that flimsy stand! )

Once he gets his calcium Reactor on and adjusted, and everything settles in it should really start to take off!

Of course, knowing Tattooreef, once that happens it will be time for an even bigger tank! Time to go 3ft wide!

MAybe then he will put a plywood, foam base under the new tank!
Old 10/06/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...8/IM000209.jpg

Hey, what wrasse is this- i really like it
Old 10/06/2007, 03:13 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

That is known as a 'china wrasse', If I remember correctly, it is an Anampses species.
Old 10/06/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCTewks
why donj't we just let the stand talk die!! If you've read any of this thread, you'll know that the tankis currently setup and full of corals, as well as being in it's second home, and no floods
f.w.i.w. , yes i have read all the pages of this thread . and my post has nothing to do with the strength of the stand or whether it can support the loaded tank . an 11 foot tank is a lot different then a 26 gallon tank , so maybe you should reread my post and the others that have brought this to the attention of the tank owner . just because its full and operating now has nothing to do with long term strenght stress that will be exerted along the seams of that lenght of glass . if your tank breaks you only lose 26 gallons of water and minimal damage , if his tank burst he has over 300 gallons of water doing major damage.
the reason you don't support a tank that large by the plastic perimeter is the chance of the plastic buckling over time , and once it starts your not going to stop it . good luck !
Old 10/06/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

i love the setup you have here. everyone i know thinks im mad not running a skimmer on my little 30g tank., im impressed u dnt have one ( well a teeny one ) on ur 11footer. looks awesome too. wish stuff was as cheap here in the UK as in the US $2000 for that tank. WOW. id pay bout £4000 for that here ($6000 ish ? )
anyways keep us updated. ( nice tatts btw. )

ad
Old 10/06/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

gwaco for the final time the tank is not resting on plastic trim (there is no plastic trim) it is the 3/4 glass with basicaly rubber for looks the tank is being supported 2 inches thick around the whole perimeter and also has three braces strategically placed for supporting and spanning the weight of this giant. so no worries about any plastic buckeling over time. and to new world disorder thanks for the compliments and yeah i love running skimmerless i just added the small one not to long ago, and i really dont know how permanent it will be , who knows lol, and as for the tats i own 2 tattoo shops and have been tattooing for 13 years, and on my off days from the shops i build custom choppers, wich throws people for a loop when they find out how big of a reef geek i reaally am lol.
Old 10/06/2007, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

and honestly i am tired of the constant whining of people about something that is not theirs to the point where im half tempted to remove the thread, my peice of advise put the time spent worrying about my tank into your own! enjoy looking at mine as i would yours and if something does happen in the future i will post about it and you all can tell me TOLD YOU SO, and i will gladly take it. not trying to be rude but i honestly would rather talk about the inhabitants of the tank instead of the stand
Old 10/06/2007, 11:41 PM
DIY Junkie

tattoo...any decisions made on supplemental actinic lighting yet?
Old 10/07/2007, 10:17 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

Quote:
Originally posted by tattooreef
and honestly i am tired of the constant whining of people about something that is not theirs to the point where im half tempted to remove the thread, my peice of advise put the time spent worrying about my tank into your own! enjoy looking at mine as i would yours and if something does happen in the future i will post about it and you all can tell me TOLD YOU SO, and i will gladly take it. not trying to be rude but i honestly would rather talk about the inhabitants of the tank instead of the stand
You're posting on an open forum asking people for their opinion about your setup.
I love how some people do this in order to "show off" their tanks but only want to hear praise and adulations but get defensive when the advise suggests changing the way something is done or that they might have mad an error in how it was setup.
All I am going to say is good luck and I hope that you don't have problems with the way the tank is supported.
Old 10/07/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Blaze
That is known as a 'china wrasse', If I remember correctly, it is an Anampses species.
Tattoo or Jeremy can you guys gimme any info on the china wrasse - as in its feeding habits how big of a tank you think itll need and so on... is it a picky eater? Hard to keep? I tried googling it up but to no avail.
Thanks!
Old 10/07/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

nice tank
Old 10/08/2007, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

It is way tooooo late to worry about the stand so move on and enjoy the tank. I don't remember you mention cal reactor or any other equipment?any plan to add on.

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 10/09/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

triggerfish1976 i know this is an open forum and there will be things like this brought up and if you would have bothered to read the thread i do take criticism well its just the talk about the stand is old and its kinda like beating a dead horse. akbuuur i dont have alot of info on the fish even though i own him lol, all i can really say is that he is an exceptionally hardy fish he doesnt mess with the other inhabitants to much and feeds just like any other wrasse, me personally i wouldnt keep him in anything under a 6 ft tank and when i 1st got him i tried googleing him and found nothing also.
and ycnibrc i am adding a cal reactor an aqua controller and a phos reactor this week, wich is weird for me because i usualy run my tanks very low tech.
Old 10/12/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

well good news i finally got the electrician over and had 6 dedicated circuits ran specificaly for the tank and started rerunning all of the electrical on those circuits. i got two of the three battery backups back up and functional and am now currently waiting on delivery of the cal reactor (they shipped a single chamber instead of the dual chamber) and the phos reactor will go on this weekend and hopefully the aqua controller as well(if i can figure the thing out) lol
Old 10/18/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

ive about got the controller figured out and the cal reactor is still on the way does anyone have a recomendation for a decently priced calcium monitor
Old 10/18/2007, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Cool tank man. Love it. To the people that keep harping about his stand, let the man enjoy his tank. What credentials do you guys have to make you an expert on how his stand was built? If he said he got a certified contractor over and built the stand that should have been enough. I have seen on this site, people w/ tanks on the stands that the manufactures made and the bottoms still came out. Let him enjoy his build thread. Good job pimpin. I would fill that thing up with alot of swimmers. I will continue to follow.
Old 10/19/2007, 10:00 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

The only calcium moniter I know of is Penpoint.
Old 10/20/2007, 07:02 AM
Registered Member

sweet tank.