Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/22/2006, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

WTB: Proven Aptasia Eaters

Anyone out there have a Copperband Butterfly or Peppermint Shrimp theyt are willing to part with? I'm only interested in proven Aptasia eaters as I'm not sure my 2 current peps (from LFS) are doing anything to help.
Old 06/22/2006, 02:16 PM
My Boys

joes juice works good
It's Not The Beginning Or The End That Counts It's The Journey That Gets You There That Matters.Autism Is Just A Symptom.Over Coming It Is A Challenge.A Disability Is The Ability To Do Things Differently.
Old 06/22/2006, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

how long have you had them and how much aptasia is there?
Old 06/22/2006, 02:42 PM
Moved On

I think you are headed down the right road with a Copperband Butterfly. If I had an extra one to hand out, i'd give him to you. Pep shrimp can sometimes be unpredictable with aptasia, as can Copperbands I suppose. Speaking from experience, it may take the Copperband a few weeks to get rid of it all, so dont be surprised if you keep admiring your tank only to find the aptasia still there for awhile. As far as chemicals go, I'm not against them per say. However, IMO a natural predator is always more efficient in the long run. A natural predator also gives you something perty to look at.

Good luck!
Old 06/22/2006, 03:31 PM
Well... You know...

I bought 6 peppermints on the last reeftopia order and within a week I have nott seen another aptasia. Now that I think of it I have not really seen the peppermints either.
so you can maintain a lifestyle
that insults his family's existence
Old 06/22/2006, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

I've got a lot of Aptasia, beyond what Joe's Juice will handle (that has helped on some of the monster-sized ones). They've been in the tank since before I bought it used about a month ago.

jpslickorocks - if you ever find any of your 6 peps (probably only possible with a trap) that you know did the trick I'd love to buy them from you.
Old 06/22/2006, 04:29 PM
DRAG AND DESTROY!

Be careful killing off a lot of aptasia will cause a spike in amonia rember your water changes
Jay

Do you have a Merkur sitting around collecting dust? I will buy it! Contact me!
Old 06/22/2006, 05:19 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by random_ryan
joes juice works good
IT seems to me that Joes Juice is nothing more than a strong Kalk mix in a bottle with a long delivery tube? Am I wrong on this??

Has anyone tried mixing a strong Kalk mix and then going after the aptasias?

--paul
Old 06/22/2006, 06:36 PM
HELP SLOW

Has anyone tried mixing a strong Kalk mix and then going after the aptasias?

That works. Ya just need to go slow as the kalk can mess with CA and ALK.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 06/22/2006, 06:59 PM
Well... You know...

Dude it is soo worth getting a dozen of them from reeftopia. They are only 21 bucks plus shipping so just get in on a reeftopia order and get free shipping. I like my peppermint shrimp and to be honest it would be impossible to catch them even with a trap as they live inside a piece of rock.
so you can maintain a lifestyle
that insults his family's existence
Old 06/22/2006, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

If this is the 110 gallon I am thinking of. Some of the aptasia was over 4" tall and some of the heads about the size of a quarter. All the rock is covered with it. It would take an army of peppermint shrimp.
Old 06/23/2006, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

if you want to do the reeftopia thing i might be interested in an order with you.
Old 06/23/2006, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

I second Jeremy's advice, I threw 4 in my 90 and no more aptasia in over a year, same deal have not seen the shrimps either : )
Old 06/23/2006, 10:32 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

I have aptasia but am paranoid of putting them in my tank. Didn't someone locally have a problem with pepperments eating their ricordea? I have a few pricey Yumas and I'd hate to wake up one morning and see them gone! I'm waiting for the Bergia nudibranchs, their diets are 100% aptasia, hopefully Frank will come thru with some soon.

I think Peppermint will reproduce in your tank, and provide some natural tank food for free.

I had them long ago and thought they were gone until I took the tank down and saw a half dozen or so. They don't need aptasia to live.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 06/23/2006, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

I have a single peppermint in my 90g that I've had for well over a year. All by itself it cleared my old 50g tank of about 50-60 aiptasia. That was back in Feb of '05. He's still kickin', although I hardley ever see him.

I won't sell my peppermint, but when you get them, look for the larger ones, as they have a tendency to live longer and also are able to handle the larger aiptasia.
Old 06/23/2006, 01:19 PM
TOTM- June 2007

Our yelow long nose butterfly eats aptasia as well (actually just gets a snack from Fliger every once in a while since we don't have any aptasia ). Unfortunately a few other local people have gotten one for this purpose and it hasn't touched their aptasia. Just an idea since it does better in reef tanks than the CB but they seem to be hit or miss on eating aptasia. We also have about 4 peppermint shrimp and they are doing fine for the last 10 months and we never really had aptasia so they will do fine without it.
Old 06/23/2006, 01:47 PM
My Boys

I was reading on a forum I think is was marshal reef where this guy had problems with Bergia nudibranchs eating his rba. I am not sure why they ate his rba. but its just what I read.
It's Not The Beginning Or The End That Counts It's The Journey That Gets You There That Matters.Autism Is Just A Symptom.Over Coming It Is A Challenge.A Disability Is The Ability To Do Things Differently.
Old 06/23/2006, 01:59 PM
Xenia Farmer

I have a yellow long nose butterfly and I think he is taking care of my aptasia because I have none. If only he would take care of the majanos. If only....