Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 08/27/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

DAY 2, I have been feeding what little rotifers I have and am lucky to have 3 per ML in the larvae tank, I also have been feeding pulverized flake about every 4 hours. 1/2 hour after feeding the pulverized flake I clean off the bottom of the tank. I see some of the tail kinking and bolting going on when I feed the flake so that is encouraging. I lost 7 last night.

I am still up in the air about the BBS. Do I not feed and hope they dont starve, or do I feed the BBS and hope they dont choke and die? I can see their tummy and it does have food in it but it is not overly large like I'm told they should be....Pugi

Old 08/27/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Very Cool i hope to see the end photo of these little guys
Old 08/29/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Sorry about not having an update, I was sicker than heck yesterday. I think it was food poisening.

Now for the fish, On the evening of day 2 I lost them all. My guess would be just not enough food, with the rotifer crash I did not have many options. I went with the pulverized flake and it looked as some were striking at it, but I guess they were not eating it. If I run into this situation again I think I would try the NHBBS.

Not all is lost though, I learned alot on this try and plan on using my new knowledge on the next batch, which luckly enough should be in about 10 or 11 days. Pugi
Old 08/29/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Sorry about your luck, and sorry to those little guys I hope that you get another chance.
Old 08/29/2007, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Oh man that sucks ! Sorry about your lost. Where did you get your rotifers ?
Old 08/30/2007, 09:18 AM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

Quote:
Originally posted by tedr
You might want to try Seahorse Source in Ft Pierce, FL. They have decapsulated artemia cysts that they title "Small Strain (A. sinica)" suspended in liquid. They claim they are the smallest available. This is all I'm using, but not usually until the 14th day. They normally ship 2 day, but they will call you when you place order online, and you could possibly set up overnight delivery, if you're so inclined. Either way, I would suggest decapsulated, because, as the Karen Bradley article points out, if not decupsulated, they could choke on the brine shrimp's capsule. Don't get disappointed either way. It may take some trial and error. It did on my end.
I have ordered these and they are tiny... I almost did not think they hatched they are so small and hard to see. They are not the size of a rotifer though but maybe small enough for some clowns.....

Dave
Old 08/30/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Here we go again, My clowns spawned this evening. 14 days since last spawn. Clutch looks to be bigger than last. I will get a count in the morning. I am not messing around with the rotifers this time, everyday I do a 50% harvest and this is all going into extra tanks to build on. By the time the eggs hatch I should have about 35 gallons in 5 seperate containers to work with. Now if that dont get it done, well I dont know...Pugi
Old 08/31/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Official count on eggs.....450, A bit more than last time...Pugi
Old 08/31/2007, 01:59 PM
10 & Over Club

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 09/11/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

I was hoping to come on here and post that all was well and the second hatch was fine, but I lost them on the second night. All of this was done with plenty of rotifers. They had full silver stomachs.

It must be something else I am doing, Going to have to refine my setup a little. I have a feeling its light related. 1/3 of larvae on bottom, 1/3 in water column and 1/3 against side where the top of the water meets the side. Shouldn't most be in the water column?

I guess I will get another try in about 10 days. Pugi
Old 09/13/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

This is really neat any updates?
Old 09/13/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriGa22
This is really neat any updates?
Nothing new to report other than another clutch was laid tuesday. So next wednesday next week they should hatch!!! Pugi
Old 09/23/2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

I beat my previous record!!! Which was only 48 hours, I am now at 60 hours and going strong. I changed 2 things I moved the tank out of direct sunlight and I am running the air a little harder. I may have been low on oxygen.

The hatch happened a day late and the rotifers came back strong, so plenty of food for everyone, Must be about 200 larvae. More later...Pugi
Old 09/23/2007, 11:06 AM
10 & Over Club

Old 09/23/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Keep us updated - I wish my clowns would mate! Good luck!
Old 09/24/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

OK, a little update... on day 4 and everything is well. A few die here and there but nothing major. I think it was mostly the ones that never did learn to eat. I did a count and there are about 175 still swimming around with big ol fat silver bellies.

I am going to start some BBS to feed them in the morning. As I have never gotten this far before, I think I will error on the light side of the BBS. Not give them a whole lot. There are plenty of rots as well so no one will go without food. Pugi
Old 09/24/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Glad to hear that it's going well this time; I have been following along and will continue to do so. Good luck!
Old 09/26/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Day 6. There are still about 160 larvae, they have turned a orange color. Started to see tail curling last night on the bigger ones. This morning most are doing it, Looks like meta will be happening soon. I also uncovered the front and sides of the tank.

I also started them on BBS yesterday. I know it says 25 BBS per day per larvae, which is imposible to count. About how long should it take for the larvae to eat the newly introduced BBS on each feeding? I fead them at 9 am and they finally finished at 7 pm. I think that is to much at one time. No over eating deaths though so thats good. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated....Pugi
Old 09/27/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Day 7: Last night was the first night that I had NO losses!!! I think nature took its course and seperated the weak from the hardy. There still must be 150 to 160 larvae, met has to be right around the corner. Pugi
Old 09/27/2007, 11:41 AM
10 & Over Club

Sounds like your doing things right

Old 09/27/2007, 08:22 PM
The Clownfish COP

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and your little ones. Sounds like your going to have a successful raising this time.
Old 09/27/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanx all !!! I am doing everything I know to make it work, unfortunatly what I know is not much other than several different ways to kill them.

tpdpercula, I have seen you recent threads, and all I can say is WOW very nice. The stands, tanks, fish and new additions. Have you raised any clowns in your past or are you getting geared up? Pugi
Old 09/28/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Day 8: Yesterday morning a few had the clownfish wiggle and by last night a bunch had it. I almost feel bad for the little guys. Nothing wants to work together. They work hard just to go little distances. This morning it looks like they are getting a little more skill with there new body and dont have to work to hard. Also this morning they had their first taste of pulverized flake. Not a big responce out of that, but it will come. There are a few that dont have the wiggle yet, hopefully they catch up in the next couple days. No head bands yet. Boy are they cute....Pugi
Old 09/28/2007, 10:42 AM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

you may want to try some Otohime Larval Feeds.

I have not tried it yet but have researched it and if you do a search on RC there is a couple really good threads.

It seems to invoke a huge feeding response and the fish grow fast on it. It does not do allot for color though.

It can be purchased from:

http://www.reed-store.com/?category=53&subcategory=39

Dave
Old 09/28/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Dave Thanx,

I have read the thread about it. Being I am just starting to breed, I am trying to keep things as simple as possible. A little proven old school. Rotifers, BBS then flake. As I get a little more experience I will branch out and try some other things. The good thing about Otohime is it seems you can skip BBS, That would not bother me at all!!! Pugi