Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 09/16/2005, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

I'll put in my vote for Thread of the Month--such a range of emotion!
Old 09/22/2005, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCoral
if a ocean is near by just toss the little guy back to its home
This act is incredibly irresponsible. Adding a foreign species to a local ecosystem has led to catastrophic damages in many places in the world. Remember, a good deal of the fish aquariusts buy and keep tend to be from the Indio-Pacific region, and are not found in any waters off the US. I'd rather see a fish just be left on the countertop and suffocate, or run over by a car than be responsible for causing some kind of damage to the local fish population by disease or any other ill effects from releasing and exotic species into the wild.
Old 10/05/2005, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

ok this is a easy one put the fish in a 5 gallon pale and give a 2 year old a stick and what them have the time of there lives as they cheer FISHY, FISHY DADDY........HAHAH just kiddin
I would just hit it and instantly put it to rest i cant stand to see a fish suffer
Old 10/06/2005, 09:21 AM
Tang? What Tang!

The most humane and quick way is severing the head.
Old 10/07/2005, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

rolling pin man that is pretty intersesting
Old 10/10/2005, 10:33 AM
Alpha One

Quote:
Originally posted by Ericp2311
This may be sound horrible, please don't flame me if you disagree... but I had a similar situation with a yellow tang, and I wanted the deed to be done quickly, so I netted it into a plastic bag, which I placed on the counter. Then I used a rolling pin...

It's grisly, but I know for sure that it was all over insantly.

Just my two cents

Eric
WOW

Whatever happened to flushing it down the toilet?
Old 10/10/2005, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

"if a ocean is near by just toss the little guy back to its home"-JCoral
This response was far more disturbing to me than killing a fish with a rolling pin.

This may kill far more fish than just the one you intended! Please, please, never return a fish "to the wild." Fish from pet stores or breeding facilities may have been exposed to diseases from all over the world. Also, surviving fish may start a breeding population and compete with native fish, or eat them! Lionfish introduced to the east coast of the US are a good example.
Old 10/10/2005, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

or sewer alligators.
Old 10/10/2005, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

Wow I cant believe people still think freezing fish is humane.

When I worked at a fish store we always putt hem ina specimin container and added baking soda. The baking soda releases co2 into the water which not only euthinizes the fish but also causes no pain.
Old 10/10/2005, 11:55 PM
Premium Member

Oh yah and the rollerpin method should be fine as long as your very quick and start with the head.

and kudos to the step by step fishy electric chair
Old 10/11/2005, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

Perhaps we anthropomorphize our fishes too much. Check this out:

http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/Zoology/faculty/Rose/pain.pdf

here's a brief, oversimplified summary for those who don't want to spend an hour reading about fish pain:
Turns out fish lack the brain centers we use for experiencing pain and fear. They have a glandular responce to bad stuff that makes 'em look scared but they can't 'feel' it the way we do. Bad stuff is still bad for fish because they can't controll their responce so they can bash into rocks and hurt themselves or hide untill they starve etc. --> The ethical aquarist will still try to take good care of his/her fish and avaid 'scaring' them because it can hurt them to be 'scared.'
--> euthaniasia can be whatever makes you comfortable.

That said, here is a list of IACUC (institutional animal use and care commission) approved euthanasia protocals. Interesting that most have been arrived at independantly by home aquarists.

Fish

Tricaine methane sulfonate (MS222)
Benzocaine
Barbiturates
Inhalant anesthetics
CO2
2-phenoxyethanol
Conditionally acceptable - stunning followed by decapitation/pithing; decapitation and pithing

Decapitation of fish, amphibians and reptiles should be followed by pithing. Use as a sole means of euthanasia in any species requires scientific justification and IACUC approval.

Under very specialized circumstances, stunning, rapid freezing or air embolism (under anesthesia) may be allowed in small species if research needs make it necessary and there are no available alternatives.

taken from:
http://www.ora.ucr.edu/vet/Primer/bi...nasia.htm#FISH
Old 10/11/2005, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

Oh and just so you all know, I love my fish! Personally, I set aside my knowledge of fish neurobiology for my home aquarium. I am very comfortable ascribing a huge range of emotions to my fish: fear, happiness, sadness, excitedness, anger etc. I know it's all an illusion but MY mind is designed to empathize with animals. I would be heartbroken to have to euthanize a fish at home. At work, it is a necessity.
Old 10/12/2005, 07:59 AM
ETRC Webjourneyman

I'll have to try the fish in a bucket and giving it to a kid the next chance I get.

Old 10/16/2005, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Personally i use a meat cleaver. its not nice to do but when vets want $40 to put down a $5 quail! i mean seriosly
Old 10/17/2005, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

i have a large number of fish i need to euthanise. please send large quantitys of barbituates asap!!!
Old 10/17/2005, 09:36 AM
ETRC Webjourneyman

I'll have to remember the meat cleaver next time. Several months ago I needed four pellets to finish off a mockingbird caught in the grill of my car. That was more than a little gruesome and prolonged.

Then again, I could have just pried the bird out, gave it to my kids in a bucket (with a stick) and let them wander around poking it going "Birdie! Birdie!! Birdie!!!".

Old 10/22/2005, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Is there something you can inject in them, kinda of like when you need to put a dog down(or a pellet gun to the fish)
Old 10/23/2005, 05:57 AM
Medieval French Monkey

I've never had to euthanize a SW fish, but I have decapitated a betta before. I've thought about freezing/cold water bath, but I keep getting images of Leonardi holding onto Kate Winslet's hand--seems like that would take too long. It seems as if the best method would be whatever is quickest, whether it be a rolling pin, cutting the head off, the car method, or the clove oil. How quickly does the clove oil work? If you want less of a hand's on approach, this seems to be the best way.

I do wonder how many of us just let the fish expire on its own when they know it's dying and there's nothing that can be done?
Old 10/23/2005, 11:13 PM
Waste Management

WOW you people really seem to enjoy talking about killing your fish (lol). I have never had to kill a fish in eight years. If a fish gets sick or dies it gets dragged under a rock and eaten by my clean up crew. It's a natural cycle & my skimmer does the rest.
Old 10/24/2005, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WILDTHING
If the rolling pin is too up close and personal, I've always found it quick and not so personal to wrap the animal in some paper towel and put it in a plastic bag then tuck the bag under the tire of my car ....very quick and there is no way to mess it up. For a fish I'd probably wet the paper towel with tank water to make it more comfortable while I was working.

colleen

I really don't know enough to comment on fish anatomy but I've always heard its painful to mammals to freeze to death
WTH! You were kidding right? I would much rather have hypothermia rather than to get crushed.

You need some help..
Old 10/25/2005, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blkSupra
WTH! You were kidding right? I would much rather have hypothermia rather than to get crushed.

You need some help..
Since I make sure that the head of the animal is directly under the tire the killing takes less than 2 seconds. My reasoning for doing this is for the animal to suffer as little as possible and for the death to be as quick as possible.

Freezing does not accomplish this.

BTW YOU are not small enough to tuck under the tire of my truck.
Old 10/25/2005, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

I have only had to euthanize 2 fish in my day...I take out a pan, fill with water and salt, put it on my stove, boil the water and I boil the fish so that it enures a quick death. Takes about 2 seconds.
Old 10/25/2005, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

I had a yellow tang euthanize a butterfly for me once- that was a very creepy experience. I was talking with a professor about the quickest way to put it down (it was upside down, floating with a huge "surgical" gash from the Tang's razor). As I reached for it ( to put it in alcohol) it stopped, and it's color faded as the blood stopped pumping. I'll never forget it- while I knew the anatomy/biology of what had happened, it looked and felt like it's soul had left it's body since the color drained "up'...very odd.
At the new england aquarium, I know they had their vetrinary staff give an injection to unsaveable fish- but i'm glad i wasn't there for it.
Old 10/25/2005, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

If you freeze freshwater fish, beware. I had to put down a 6" Comet that lived in my pond here in DC. These guys tough it out through the winter and they're used to cold temps, so it took over a week in the freezer. I should have used less water, but I just hope I don't have to do that again.
Old 10/26/2005, 04:36 PM
ETRC Webjourneyman

Comets are a coldwater fish. On the saltwater side, a barricuda would take as long if not longer to freeze and kill. Heck, I've frozen one stiff for 4 hours only to toss him in the water and watch him swim away 15 minutes later.