Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 03/07/2006, 01:35 PM
J. SUPERSONIC

smash it with a brick as hard as u can.. it wont feel a thing.. alot better than freezing it to death
Old 03/07/2006, 03:09 PM
ETRC Webjourneyman

The voice of experience: don't try a CO2 pistol. It takes too many shots to hit the nervous center. A brick would be much better...
Old 03/27/2006, 04:09 AM
Premium Member

You have to be kidding!

Throw it in the ocean? You actually have people worried that 1 sick fish thrown in the ocean will be ecological suicide? Hope this people arent advocates of drip acclimation. The shock alone is probably enough to kill the fish when thrown in the ocean, plus sick fish = easy pickings for predators. The ocean is not one of our tiny weenie fish tanks you arent going to infect the whole coast with one sick fish the dilution alone makes that improbable. decapitation, freezing, poisioning, running over or drive by with the 12 gauge/ak combo is much quicker then slow death in the tank. Enough said! Do fish feel pain...Jury is out still. ending the pain quicker is still humane so what ever the flavor its the thought that counts.
Old 03/28/2006, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

In the fish store I worked in years ago the manager would smack the net with the fish against the wall or sidewalk, I suppose it was fast and painless, but I could never bring myself to do it....
Old 03/30/2006, 01:25 AM
Premium Member

Actually, you bring them into a beautiful room with music playing, you surround them with videos of fishes and scenes of the Great Barrier Reef. As the fish begins to smile, you gently place two drops sleep potion into the water and then reprocess the fish into Soylent Fish
Old 03/30/2006, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

I eat mine. I just pull them out of the tank and serve them up with fava beans and a nice chianti.
Old 03/30/2006, 10:21 AM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Quote:
Originally posted by ZoeReef
Actually, you bring them into a beautiful room with music playing, you surround them with videos of fishes and scenes of the Great Barrier Reef. As the fish begins to smile, you gently place two drops sleep potion into the water and then reprocess the fish into Soylent Fish
I was just watching that the other night
Old 03/31/2006, 11:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cougaraug
I eat mine. I just pull them out of the tank and serve them up with fava beans and a nice chianti.
LOL, no one is beating that. This is now an ex-thread.
Old 04/10/2006, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scubasteve247
sorry just jumping in, the freezer is a horrible way, the fish is alive for the most part of the freezing process, each cell starting with those closest to the skin start to freeze, even when in water, the cell expands and then bursts, causing extreme pain for the fish, thats why the fish is constantly flipping out. flopping spazing. its a very painful ordeal, if you dont have a problem with up close, use a knife.
This is true.
Old 04/10/2006, 09:23 AM
Moved On

just flick it in the back of the head to break neck its done in seconds no pain no wory
Old 04/10/2006, 09:27 AM
ETRC Webjourneyman

Um. Where is the neck located on a fish?
Old 04/10/2006, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

between the head and the shoulders (just head north from the feet).
Old 04/11/2006, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

these people discussing pain of cells bursting are not really thinking. with a cold water species that may be an issue, but im pretty sure most of us here are discussing warm water tropical fish. In that case i am almost possitive that they loose conscienceness LONG before any actual freezing. it would not cause any pain. The reason we feel pain from situations like that is that our core body temp is staying up high enough to keep us alive while other parts of us are dying. in cold blooded species that wouldnt happen. they would be dead long before any real freezing. I also suspect that the rolling pin comment that keeps being mentioned was a smash and not a squish. They may have rolled over it, but i would say they used the pin same as a hammer or meat cleaver. I have only dealt with a few sick or injured fish. I flushed them usually, but i wont even begin to say that is a humane method. Also the electruction i am almost sure would be painless. It would cause death quickly enough that no pain could be felt i would think. I think that as long as the clove oil doesnt burn the fish's gills, etc. that it would be the best method. It would be very similar to lethal injection, which i think is assumed to be the most humane way of fulfilling a death sentence for a human.