Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Durso overflow have anything to do with return pump ?

I am confused...

I setup 2 durso on 2 different tanks.

75 Gallon, Calfo style overflow with TWO 1" Bulkhead with two dursos using Ocean Runner 2500

20 Gallon, Calfo style overflow with ONE 1" bulkhead with one durso using Quiet One 1200

The 20 Gallon nano have absolutely ZERO noise, water level inside the overflow box stays constant all the time.

The 75 gallon for some reason will not get the water inside the box to stay constant. It continously goes up and down and when it goes all the way down, it creates a clurping noises as it draws air to the sump.

If reduce the flow on the retun pump, do you think it will help in making the water level constant ?

I have both drain line sits 1/2" below the water level, I hve both dursos with adjustable air line to adjust the air going into the durso and it still won't stay constant.

Stan
Old 12/06/2007, 01:47 PM
Can't be listed on **

It sounds like you need to increase the size of the hole in the standpipes on the 75. If the hole is to small it can siphon the overflow down and "flush"

What I would so since you have 2 drains in the 75, is plug the hole in one of the durso's and put a valve on that drain line. Use the valve to adjust it to run in a full siphon mode that is just a little bit slower than what is coming into the thank, then the extra water goes over the durso quietly into the sump. You will just have to adjust the valve until 90 + % of the water is going down the one drain.

Kim
Old 12/07/2007, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

Well, I tried your advise and left one durso completely open and put a valve on one and adjust that one accordingly. I haven't heard any gurgling noise in 5 minutes and the water level inside the skimmer finally stayed constant for 5 minutes lol.

Thank you so much. I'll keep an eye on it for the next a day or two, but I think you just help me to reduce the gurgling noise.

thanks

stan
Old 12/07/2007, 02:45 AM
Registered Member

I use the method kgross suggested - slightly different (hard to explain) but effectively does the same. I completely endorse this way of working the overflow.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

I set the working durso into my skimmer intake directly. I finally saw foam falling over the collection cup this morning.

I'll sit and watch the tank tonight...but I think this is the way to solve it.

thanks
Old 12/07/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Still doesn't work....I am so frustrated being the tank is in my bedroom and I haven;t been able to sleep in my bed for the past 3 weeks.

I came home, water level still stay the same. I noticed the water level in the sump was pretty low, so I added 1 gallon of fresh RO, and as soon as I added 1 gallon of fresh RO, the damn overflow is doing it again...the water level in the overflow box keeps going up and down and making a gurgling sound as it goes to the lowest point.

What in the world happen with me by adding an extra gallon of water ?

I appreciate all the input...at this point, I can careless to break the tank down and get rid of it..

stan
Old 12/07/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flamenco-t
What in the world happen with me by adding an extra gallon of water ?

I appreciate all the input...at this point, I can careless to break the tank down and get rid of it..

stan
I had trouble with a durso on my siphon overflow, similar to yours. Repeated cycle of flushing should every 30 seconds to 1 minute. I drilled another air hole in the durso top and the problem went a way.

The flush cycle is dependent on flow rate. Believe it or not adding the water to the sump will make the return pump pump faster. You just happen to be a unlucky flow rate.

In reality the only reason the flushing occurs is a siphon forms. The keep a siphon from forming you must have adequate air ventilation. Obviously the balance here is just enough air ventilation minimal noise. Start drilling 1/16 holes in the top cap of the durso until the cycling stops. Drill one more after that for a little good measure.

You should be fine.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

I understand with more hole on the top of the durso will make the problem go away, that is because the amount of water that is being return will be at the ultimate low flow. Low flow = higher water level = no gurgling.

With this situation, the water on the overflow box will be the same level as the main tank, in which case the point of having a large surface skimming area is defeated. There will be no point of having an overflow for surface skimming.

WIth my 2 other tanks, I have been able to use the air valve to match the amoubt of water that is being pump in so that the water level inside the overflow box will be about 3/4 of the overflow height. This way, surface skimming will be performed and there will not be any gurgling issues.

I hate sleeping on my couch

stan
Old 12/08/2007, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

the height in your overflow box is determined by the upper limit of the durso itself...if the top edge of the horizontal part of the durso is high then so to wil the water level...essentially the water level should be right at the highest part of the horizontal portion of your "t" in the durso...

drilling holes wont slow the flow down...if it does then tholes are too big or too many..which isnt allowing a siphon

the holes are there to stop the full siphon from creating that horrible siphoning sound....you still need a siphon to get good flow though...too much siphon= flushing,

my tank i cheated...i have 1.5" drain line and only 300 GPH, water is just freely flowing down...no surging/boiling-like bubbles in the sump, no flushing a or gurgling up top...and 0 noise in general...my maxijet 900 makes more noise..
Old 12/08/2007, 04:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoReefWanabe

drilling holes wont slow the flow down...if it does then tholes are too big or too many..which isnt allowing a siphon
Drilling hole isn't intended to slow the flow down. Drilling holes is intended to prevent a siphon from forming. Two 1" drain pipes should be able to handle 1200GPH easily (RC calculator confirms this). His return pump is only rated at 625GPH max (that is at 0 head) more likely something around 400 GPH after the trip from the sump.

The plumbing should easily be able to handle the flow. The question is why is a siphon forming? The solution without knowing anything more is to ensure that a siphon can't form.

Quote:

the holes are there to stop the full siphon from creating that horrible siphoning sound....you still need a siphon to get good flow though...too much siphon= flushing,
The holes are there to prevent a siphon and limit noise coming from the water rushing down the drain line. There is noise in this pipe only when a siphon has not formed. By definition a siphon fills the pipe completely with water. A pipe completely filled with water makes very little noise.

That horrible flushing noise is from when a siphon breaks from the overflow water level dropping below the durso inlet.

The reason for a durso is to prevent the noise coming from water splashing it's way down a hollow pipe. This does create a ruckus in there, but it can only escape if there is mostly air in the pipe. You need lots of air/water interacation for lots of noise.

Quote:

my tank i cheated...i have 1.5" drain line and only 300 GPH, water is just freely flowing down...no surging/boiling-like bubbles in the sump, no flushing a or gurgling up top...and 0 noise in general...my maxijet 900 makes more noise..
Old 12/08/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Okay, I have been doing some thinking..

Someone suggested taller overflow box, please see pics..

taller overflow box walls will not solve the problem. I can't make the water level stay constant, so what will the higher overflow box can do to make it stop. I know it will make tuning easier, but in order to tune it I have to be able to make the water level stay put. In my case, I haven't been able to do that.

I am clueless...if I am sleeping in my couch one more week, I swear I am taking the whole thing down and get rid of the darn thing...

This is on top of my skimmer haven't been able to work because it can't get consistent water level, so the level inside the skimmer goes up and down....

One solution was to put a ball valve on the return pump and try to adjust the water going back that way, but doing this, I am not going to have enough flow to feed my skimmer and phosban reactor.. I need minimum of 350 gph through the sump to feed my skimmer (250 gph) and 100 or the phosban reactor

Doing the one valve open all the way and tuning one valve haven't work either.... well it did for a day until water level in the sump changes.

How about taking off the elbow in the overflow box, do you think this will work ?

The whole objective is to remove siphon while maintaining flow.

Any other ideas please ? I want to sleep in my room...if I am not finding solutions within a week, I am seriously taking the tank down as I can't stand this at all, it started to effect my work and livelihood..

stan
Old 12/08/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

more pics of the durso and overflow

Old 12/08/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Your setup looks perfect. I have a hard time seeing from the top side why this wouldn't work. So It must be on the sump side.

I thought of something else. You mentioned that the skimmer is hooked up to feed from one of the overflows and that it's level is not constant. Is the skimmer totally gravity fed or is there a pump involved like a recirculation skimmer. Can you describe the skimmer setup. Maybe some pics? What about the other drain. Does it feed into the sump below water or above.

I hope we can work this out for you. I have a 100 Gallon in my kitchen and wanted it whisper quiet. I have achieved that phenominally. I sell Chaeto locally and get quite a few people stopping by. Many comment on how quiet it is. A noisy tank is personally one of my pet peaves, so I understand your concern. Especially having this in your room.
Old 12/09/2007, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Keelay,

I appreciate your effort to help me out. You have done a lot for me.

Durso 1: Tee at the 1" PVC, Ball Valve to skimmer and excess goes to the sump.

Durso 2: Tee at 1" PVC, Ball Valve to Phosban Rector and excess water goes to the sump.

The Skimmer is an ASM G2 with Sedra 3500 Recirculating Neddle Wheel Pump. I also have the gated valve mod to control water level.

This is the pic under the tank. The clear hose where my finger is pointing is the line to the skimmer

Here's the view of the piping on the back of the tank

Other than the 90 degree after the Tee, all the bends are 45 degrees and flex PVC hose. I used as little as hard PVC as I can.

stan