Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2002, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

u/v

hello everyone, can you give me your ideas on running u/v i have done religiously for the last couple of years and i'm thinking of turning it off as i've only a small number of fish.But they also kill algae and bacteria am i right ?
Old 01/02/2002, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

UV

Well I've read that UV radiation works by frying the DNA in anything living, including spores, so yes they kill algae (+spores)and bacteria given sufficient exposure. If its ich you worry about, you could try cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasse, the former being my preference. Shrimp pair off and lay eggs easily which means more planktonic food for your tank critters. If you ask me, I'd get the shrimp then unplug after a week or so. Happy new year!
=)
Old 01/04/2002, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

Just ween yourself off. Your system will ballance itself out and you will get a bit of beneficial algae and bacteria as well as nuissance.
So running it along with the timer of your lights, then in a week after that for 4 hrs, then 1 then not at all.
You'll do fine and can keep it if you see disease problems.
93! Heinrich
Old 01/04/2002, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

u.v

Thanks guys i'm thinking im gonna turn it off but if it goes T%ts up i know who to blame i've got your number
Old 02/02/2002, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

uv??

I just bought a 25 watt for my near future 200 gallon. I'm having FOWLR ( may a few sps and mushrooms) How long everyday should I have this us unit running?? thanks.
Old 02/19/2002, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

I am currently setting up a 330 gal SPS/LPS tank connected directly to a 150 gal refug. A portion of the internal overflow (appx 100gph) will be rerouted via gravity to a 55gal quarenteen tank. Outflow of this will return to the sump via a 25 watt UV on 24/7.

I feel that having a refugium will continually supply new life to the main tank. What the UV kills keeps new additions from infecting the main tank. All the good stuff that it kills will feed something. Also a flow of 100gph on a system over 500 gallons will have a minor if not insignificant impact on pod and plankton population.

Other than quarenteen, I feel limited UV will help in the breakdown of the many complex toxic compounds produced by various corals. I have not have or read or have had anyone back this claim up but I do remember from various military briefings that natural UV along with other natural processes will eventually breakdown many of the chemical weapon toxins.

Hope this helps

Bill
Old 02/20/2002, 10:59 AM
10 & Over Club

Bill:
I'm not sure how helpful an aquarium type Uv unit will be for your breakdown of toxic materials. These aquarium units are pretty weak, and worse are often poorly matched w/ a pump, so the dwell time suffers immensely. If you are concerned w/ toxic compounds I would recommend you remove them w/ GAC or some absorbant, as it will be more effective than hoping to break these compounds down. I'm not as well versed w/ coral toxins but a few plant toxins once exposed to Uv can breakdown into 2 seperate toxic agents.
Also my beef w/ Uv sterilizers for homes aquariums is that they are just too underpowered for what the manufacturers claim. To ensure adequate killing the bulbs have to be fairly new (Uv bulbs decline rapidily in output), they have to be cleaned frequently, as proteinacious buildup on the bulb will reduce its effectiveness. Lastly, the dwell time has to be optimized, so you have to match a pump flow thru the unit to ensure proper exposure.
Uv sterilizers do work, no doubt, but there are a number of little hurdles you have to address to ensure its effective. If you want to sterilize and/or breakdown toxic products think ozone. (which also has a number of caveats)
my opinion
frank
Old 02/20/2002, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I currently use Carbon the first week of every month. As I am trying to create an unnatural ecosystem...Closed with SPS, LPS and some Soft Corals...I find it a never ending challange with success measured only by astethitics, coral growth and bio-diversity...

At least the UV will isolate the the quarenteen tank from the main system and reduce the risk of an unwanted organism from wreaking havoc on the main system.

Bill
Old 02/21/2002, 06:13 AM
Premium Member

Scorpion,

Why fix something that ain't broke by removing the UV?

I know some very successful reefers that have UV's the size of scud missiles. One, in fact was a recent "tank of the month" here at RC.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.
Old 02/25/2002, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

LOL. UV the size of a scud missle....you should see the one we use on the pond.....three tubes. 's big....course ponds also got 16000 gallons of water. But for a uv to be effective at all you the water mooving thru needs to be slllloooowwww.