Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/01/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

hand protection ??

are diver s gloves ok to use when handling bristle worms ,anemone and live rock?
Old 08/01/2007, 03:50 PM
m0delgator

What kind of diver's gloves? you mean like the thick neoprene ones you'd use diving on a real reef?

They should be OK, but it seems excessive to me. Just get a pair of those durable rubber gloves made for dishwashing.

At any rate, make sure whatever you use doesn't have any contaminants on it!
Old 08/01/2007, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

Someone suggested the long gloves used by vets for birthing large animals, but I can't seem to find them to order, apparently you need to ask your vet to get them for you.
Old 08/01/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

baught me a pair of these and they work great better than those latex gloves which tend to leak. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113166
Old 08/01/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

I have thermocline (5 mm) gloves by Deep Sea made of neoprene! Don't latex gloves have talc powder on them? Can latex contaminant your water?
Old 08/02/2007, 05:30 AM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

Quote:
Originally posted by steve70
baught me a pair of these and they work great better than those latex gloves which tend to leak. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113166
Got those same ones, work great (when i wear them) for certain things i don't because i cant get a grip on what i need to move or what ever.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 08/02/2007, 06:20 AM
Registered Member

You may want to also get a pair of long handled tweezers. Sears sells a pair for about $10, as does DFS. In many situations you do less damage to your tank with tweezers than your hands, especially in close spaces.