Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/14/2007, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

Can some one with a BM200 confirm that these are in fact the current dimensions?

ATI Bubble Master 200 Protein Skimmer - Dimensions: 13.8" x 8.6" x 18.9"

I originally wanted a 150, but that seems like it won't happen any time soon. Now I am considering the 200.

My sump's skimmer area is about 13in, but I see from the pics that I might be able to trim up to 3/4in off the base plate to get it to fit.
Old 02/14/2007, 05:47 PM
Moved On

This is the clearance that my aquarium tech says is needed for the BM200. Also, one cannot trim down on the width 9.5" as the pump needs some room in order for the water to flow in or it would end up against the sump wall. On the length, you maybe able to trim a little since that section is only underneather the pump's body. You would need to redrill a couple of small holes for the rubber feet... then of course, you know that it probably voids the warranty on the skimmer.

ATI BM200 Internal
Clearance Needed: 14" x 9.5" x 21"
Old 02/14/2007, 06:06 PM
Moved On

jefathome, i'll check with Ed as he has a shipment #3 running now to see if the dimensions have changed. will PM you later with any updates.
Old 02/14/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Im concerned with the pumps mounting to the body as someone already expressed interest in that .

I just recieved mine about an hr ago. I think some mods im gonna do are:

1) Silicone the rubber base of pumps to the acrylic base of skimmer(so to prevent movement and stability!!
2) sand the exhaust valve a tad
3) zip tie all loose hoses
4)silicon clear pump hose to body !
Any suggestion and comments are welcomed

I think we could start a Modified BM page too
Old 02/14/2007, 07:16 PM
Moved On

imagineer, i wouldn't do the silicone glue as the pumps are stable and will not come loose if you insert the pump hose all the way in. in all the testing that my aquarium tech did, not one pump came loose. the zip tie would definitely help with cosmetics, not so messy. and your right about the exhaust, sometimes its tight and sometimes it loose.
Old 02/14/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Ucandoit, Hey great news to hear!!

I also thought about drilling a 1" hole in the white/base
That would provide a hole for the rubber base to sit or perch

Im just throwing these out there......
Old 02/14/2007, 07:28 PM
Moved On

I thought about a 1/8" PVC ring to silicone glue under the pump so that the rubber feet sits in it. but really not necessary as the pumps really don't move.
Old 02/15/2007, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IMAGINEER
Im concerned with the pumps mounting to the body as someone already expressed interest in that .

I just recieved mine about an hr ago. I think some mods im gonna do are:

1) Silicone the rubber base of pumps to the acrylic base of skimmer(so to prevent movement and stability!!
2) sand the exhaust valve a tad
3) zip tie all loose hoses
4)silicon clear pump hose to body !
Any suggestion and comments are welcomed

I think we could start a Modified BM page too
I wouldn't recommend using silicone to stabilize the pumps or attached the hose to the body.

The pumps are stable as as long as nothing is forcefully "banging" them around in the sump area.

If the pumps need a cleaning or servicing then silicone would make it difficult to remove and/or replace the pumps into serivce.
Old 02/15/2007, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

In case it hasn't been answered yet:

The new BM200's measure 12.7" x 8.6" x 19.1".

Click on the red house for my tank thread
Old 02/15/2007, 02:14 PM
Moved On

This is the information that I received last night from my aquarium technician. The difference must be because it is metric.

ATI BM200 Internal
Clearance Needed: 13" x 9.5" x 21.25"
Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.5" x 19.2"

Jefathome - looks like the BM200 will fit perfectly without modification as the footprint in generation #3 is over 1" shorter.

Last edited by UCanDoIt; 02/15/2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02/15/2007, 02:19 PM

Anyone else thought about drilling a 250 yet to make one pump recirc?

I'm happy with mine, but I always find myself thinking.
Old 02/15/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Svottfarcuz - I'm not sure how much you would gain from doing that, plus with the way the skimmer is designed (everything comes in to the skimmer under a bubble plate and where the skimmed water exits) I'm not sure where you could do it. Now if the area under the bubble plate were taller I think you would be in business.
(Click my Red House)
Old 02/15/2007, 03:35 PM
Moved On

I agree with lvpd186, the fine tuned bubbleplate traps and reduces the turbulence of these powerful Sicci pumps and optimizes the foaming. A recirculating model would mainly allow a hobbyist to run their skimmer externally so it won't be sensitive to any changes in the sump water, chemical or waterlevel. Also, a recirculating should be able to be fed directly from overflows and I think this is what many are hoping to get an edge on performance by direct feed. With the current, extremely compact design of the Bubblemaster in sump skimmer, I don't think a recirc mod would do anything extra for it either, just like what lvpd186 mentioned.
Old 02/15/2007, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

this thread is so long I have no idea where it was, but I read somewhere on here to have the bubble breaking height just above the bottom of the cup. I have my exit pipe all the way at the very end and my bubble breaking point is just under the bottom of the tube (below the cup)... doesn't seem right, but it is still breaking in. I wouldn't expect the bubble breaking height to change though??? I'd expect to be able to adjust the pipe up and cause an overflow - the only way I can get it up into the tube is to restrict the output from the T.

oh and this is a BM200. 10 hrs. with no skim. large bubbles near the bottom of the tube but not in it. this is with the exit pipe all the way to the very end.

help greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 02/15/2007, 10:59 PM
Moved On

Usually the bubble breaking level will rise over time as the skimmer breaks in. Typically with brand new installation or after collection cup cleaning, the bubble breaking level should start approximately 1"-1.5" above the bottom of the collection cup right where the arrow is in this photo.

If you can't get it up to that level, I'm thinking you might have:
1. check mesh diameter on the threadpad to be sure it's not too small, generation #3 BM200 should be same as the BM250, approximately 44mm-45mm
2. air draw could be restricted
A. remove the top of the air silencer to see if that changes anything, if so, the top of the silencer may be clogged
B. pull the T exhaust off and see if the air tubing is kinked, a kinked air hose will retrict airflow
C. check to see if air hose is connected to pump tightly
D. check to see if the venturi, where the air hose connects to that tiny plastic piece, is clogged or anything blocking it
3. check to be sure the pump is inserted tightly, the black exhaust of the pump should almost be touching the connector on the skimmer body

That's all I think of right now, maybe others can chime in.
Old 02/15/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

howdy777 - For what it's worth. I just got the 3rd gen BM200 also. New tank / rock / sand (no bioload) running for about 24hrs. My bubble breaking point is the same as you describe my exhaust pipe is at it's lowest setting. I am letting the unit break in. The skimmer is sitting in the sump at 7 1/2" deep on a stand.

UCanDoIt - checked everything and it all looks good. Just gonna give it some time. The skimmer was running fine on Ed's system so I'm not worried. I think mine is more a product of my nutrient poor system and break in time needed.
Old 02/15/2007, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

I just got my BM 2oo!. It looks great. Im setting up a new tank and was wondering what I should do to break it in? I read that vinegar is good in the bath tub. Also when will I begin to see the tiny bubbles? I was running it in my utility sink and no bubbles at all. I assume this is what you are talking about when you say break in...
Old 02/16/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

robo20880 - If you were running it in fresh water you probably won't see too many fine bubbles. Fresh water won't foam like salt water will. When I got my BM250 I ran it in warm water with vinegar for about 30min to 1hr (while you are doing this you will see a ton of bubbles). The vinegar bath will help remove all of the production oils from the acrylic. After that I put mine in a sump with water removed from my old tank during water changes and let it run in that while I set up my new tank (I also threw in some skimmate from my old tank's skimmer to test it out). I think this helped out, but it wasn't really necessary.
(Click my Red House)
Old 02/16/2007, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

I just got the bm200 and was wondering when I will have smaller bubbles? I see all these pics but my bm is giving me large bubbles. Is this what you mean by break in??? Im running it in my bathtub for now..
Old 02/16/2007, 12:38 AM
Premium Member

Thanks lvpd186 I figured that it had something to do with the saltwater...
Old 02/16/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Hi everyone.

I guess the attached link underlines this conversation. Unfortunately in German, but this is is very detailed comparison BK vs. BM. With impressive pictues!

http://www.wohnzimmerriff.de/site_article_133.html

Have a nice weekend and enjoy reading.

Peter
Old 02/16/2007, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

German

I cant read german??? Pics are great
Old 02/16/2007, 09:38 AM
Limestone cowboy

Translate it on yahoo's babelfish
Old 02/16/2007, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

Here's the english translation via google.

http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

--Rick
Old 02/16/2007, 11:31 AM
pwn3d by skimzor

so if i understand that correctly, the bm250 injects more air than the bk 250 internal, makes smaller bubbles, but the bk is quieter and makes more skimmate?
did i get that right?...lol