Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/28/2006, 01:06 PM
Moved On

AH, you got some WC Black OCs? have any pics to post?

Matt
Old 11/28/2006, 01:10 PM
Registered Member.

ill get some tonight when i get home and ill pop them up
Old 11/28/2006, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

From what I understand, unless you or someone you know smuggled them out of Austrailia, I'd be very skeptical.
Old 11/28/2006, 05:14 PM
Registered Member.

they came in from a collector in au

supposedly from the supplier they got in 3 pairs of juvi's and i got a pair of them
Old 11/28/2006, 05:36 PM
Moved On

Maybe this collector can get us all LATEZONATUS?!

Matt
Old 11/28/2006, 05:36 PM
Registered Member.

clowns

Old 11/28/2006, 05:37 PM
Registered Member.

working on the latz but they seem to be harder than these guys but the ppl i got these from i expressed interest in latz so im waiting to hear back im hoping to get 2 pairs in if they can
Old 11/28/2006, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

those look pretty good if they are indeed TR however i personally haveent seen to many TR black occ that have as nice a body as that. the one with the orange face though kinda looks TR. either way they are nice fish. Latz would be nice esp if you can get in a few pairs of them.
Old 11/29/2006, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

I also hardly doubt that WC Darwin are on the market and if so, be sure ORA and others will have them pruchased asap

But at least here there are breeding fish of Australia available. One of my wholesalers received a shipment with other Australian fish. One Darwin pair (?) is growing nice, but way to early to hope for any fry. Also the pair bonding is not good yet

Peter
Old 11/30/2006, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mwp
Oh, I'm pretty sure this pair is NOT wild caught. In fact, I've NEVER seen wild caught Darwin Ocellaris available...someone actually postulated that they may not actually be a wild strain as is so often reported, but simply a melantistic strain developed in Australia. Show me some photos of them in the wild, otherwise that actually doesn't seem such a far fetched idea.

Matt
Trust me, B&W clowns are wild strains, endemic to Darwin.
We in Oz can get them wild from wholesalers, i have personally seen a wild trio and have the first generation offspring pair. While there are no photos of them in the wild, there are reports, would you like some links?
Old 11/30/2006, 02:55 AM
Moved On

So wait, there are only reports, yet no actual photos of the strain in the wild? Not a single one?

Matt
Old 11/30/2006, 05:58 AM
Registered Member.

all i know is the juvis i have were said to be WC so im going to go with that but either way they both look awesome. and i hope to get them spawning.
Old 11/30/2006, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by metalManiac
....there are no photos of them in the wild....
Maybe it's just nobody dares to dive/swim around the domain waters of hungry salties anymore. Their apparent gusto for collectors and unwary tourists has been in the news.

metalManiac, can we have those links ? Thanks
Old 11/30/2006, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keefsama2003
your i know are captive bred but the ones i have were sold to me as wild caught.

but either way i hear black oc's wether WC or CB are a pain to get spawning.
There was a fellow on here a year ago that said his blacks bred just as quickly and readily as his oranges. He was in OZ and had a short lineage pair.
Old 11/30/2006, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

I have Black and Whites and they are just like normal osc from what I have read about the normals.
Mine spawn every saw 12 14 days and have no problems with too much!

Pics soon. Still figuring out how pic posting works!

Cheers
Nathan
Old 11/30/2006, 09:19 PM
Registered Member.

cool that gives me hope i have heard from a few ppl from other boards that for some reason b/w WC oc's are a pita but then again i cant take that for anything other than heresay as not all fish are the same.

i just hope they mature into healthy pair bonded spawning fish.

other than that good luck to all and to all a good night
Old 12/01/2006, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Here in my part of the world the general impression is too that BWC are more difficult to bread. Specially to get them started to bread the first time. Once a pair is bonded and the spawning frequency is establish it seem to be same as OC.

Peter
Old 12/04/2006, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by redcray
Maybe it's just nobody dares to dive/swim around the domain waters of hungry salties anymore. Their apparent gusto for collectors and unwary tourists has been in the news.

metalManiac, can we have those links ? Thanks
sure

http://www.nt.gov.au/dpifm/Fisheries...%20Aquaculture

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fi...aocellaris.htm

http://wish.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/~kwaldon/oce059.htm

http://members.westnet.com.au/steve_s/ocellaris.htm

1st two links are from government sites, third is from a tafe institution and last is from a hobbyist in OZ.

also, here is a reference which talks about B&W occys.

Allen, G. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-East Asia. Perth: Western Australian Museum.
Old 12/15/2006, 05:18 PM
Moved On

12-15-06 - I figured it was time to update you all on the Black Ocellaris pair again...their pair bond is STRONG at this point, and they are CONSTANTLY FAT. The male's face has darkened a bit since introducing them to the tank. If it wasn't for the fact that they simply aren't nearly the size of my young breeing Percs, I'd say they could spawn at any time, but the reality is that it's probably a while off yet. The female still occasionally "Cleans" a site on the back wall...it appears she's removed a rather sizeable patch of coraline algae in the process of her cleaning...

Both fish, but especially the female of this Black OC pair, are on the receiving end of elevated aggression from the Allardi Female. They're not helping their cause by TRYING to host in the cup coral that feeds all the mandarins and seahoreses in the tank. I'm currently back to thinking that the 6 gallon cube will become their new home after the first of the year when the 3 remaining Onyx Percs from Batch I are sold...having a tank to themselves (only to share with a Neon Goby) may help kick these guys into high gear!

Matt
Old 12/15/2006, 05:22 PM
Moved On

BTW, and this is strange, I just noticed that the female (larger fish) is nuzzling the abdomen of the smaller fish (vent area) alternating with headstanding quivering displays. Maybe these clowns have it backwards????? Thoughts?

Matt
Old 12/15/2006, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Matt,
Maybe she is trying to tell him something.
This is probably going to be disputed somewhere on here but I think that it is the male who instigates the breeding.
I have noticed that my male's oviposter (or blokes equivalent) is extended before the females. Probably a sign that he is ready for her to spawn?

I would take a stab at the fact that she is waiting for him??
At least that is what happened in my tank from what I could tell.

Interested to hear any other opinions?

Cheers
Nathan
Old 12/16/2006, 12:16 AM
Moved On

Matt, face it, you don't have room for the black ocys. Give them to me, I'll make a nice home for them, and let you have some of the babies later when you have more room!

Sound like a plan? Didn't think you would go for it, but you can't blame a girl for trying....
Old 12/19/2006, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Would be nice to be a little closer to that side of the world. Here I have more than enough black and whites for everyone.

I guess they were a pita to get to spawn first time...... I was trying for 8 months which included my rapid intro to the hobby. We got the tank with clowns from my GFs old house. took me a little while to understand the in and outs.

Any new pics Matt?
Old 12/19/2006, 08:54 AM
Registered Member.

im hoping to get mine spawning but like matt they are still a bit small from what i have heard size wise from others.

im not sure how the pair bond is as they both frequent the same anemone now and the female isnt chasing the male around. he still submits regularly and they are little pit bulls when it comes to the anemone and the rock its on.

they are now chasing the 2 large angels i have in the tank as well as the powderblue and the 2 bar gobies i want to attempt later on aswell.

i guess only time will tell but good luck to all.
Old 12/19/2006, 11:08 AM
Nemo's paying the bills

Mat, I picked up a black and white stragler two days ago.His tail fin is a little frayed.Rods food [ring the bell] will take care of that.I dont have a mate for him.If you see a mate for him or need him for anything let me know.I have no idea where he came from.