Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

Exclamation Help! My Yellow Belly Tang is Laying on its Side

I'm not sure what's wrong with my yellow belly tang. He's laying on his side and breathing heavy. Looks like he got bitten pretty hard, one of his fins is almost all gone. At first, I thought he had ick. I had come home and he was laying on his side, had some minor white spots on him, but overall, his color was good and didn't look like other fish I've seen with ick before.

I decided to put him into a breeders net to keep him safe from the other fish and wait over-night before treating him with anything. He's now made it for 2 days, but he's still laying on his side that had gotten bit. I've tried to feed him. He's not eating. He does swim around, every so often, but then goes to lay down pretty quickly.

I've had him now for about 4 months and he was a baby. He's been growing rapidly and has always been doing well until now. The other fish in the tank include 3 damsels (which I think bit him), 4 bangaiis, 2 clownfish. I just put in a sleeper gold head goby.

I did my water testing and everything looks good. All other fish and corals in the tank look good. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it!
Old 01/05/2008, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

soak some food in garlic to get him to eat, if he eats he'll pull through but if he dont, well you know, good luck
Old 01/05/2008, 04:05 PM
Why? Because I can

put some vitamin in the tank. this may help him heal. I have used this in the past when a fish had problems with his fins and usually they recover. good luck
Old 01/05/2008, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Soak Nori sheets in garlic??
Old 01/05/2008, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

I'd get him into a hospital tank ASAP - peace and quiet, ideal water conditions and some vitamins in the water will all help him heal. Keep the lights low and activity around the tank to a minimum. If you discover he does have ich or a bacterial infection from the bite, you can treat without moving him.

Garlic is a good idea, it might help convince him to eat, but if he's refusing food all together don't panic - a few days without eating won't do much harm unless he's already very skinny. Most fish can easily go a week or more without eating.

Best of luck, hope he recovers.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

What if you don't have the option of setting up a QT tank? What then? I do have the lights off above the breeder net that he's in, nobody bugging him, low flow...
Old 01/06/2008, 12:08 PM
Premium Member

Bump
Old 01/06/2008, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

If you are going to keep fish, and want to treat them when they are sick, I highly recommend a hospital tank AND if feasible a quarantine tank. Does not need much. But you do not want to treat an entire tank, especially a reef tank.

~Steve~
Old 01/06/2008, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

I am putting one together as we speak.... lesson learned!
Old 01/07/2008, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

What is the best way of setting up a safe QT tank quickly. How much "new" saltwater can I put in? I have a 20g I am going to use. Would only like to take 5-10 gallons out of the display tank, can I fill the rest with the mixed saltwater?? I have a HOB canister that I was going to use, and a heater, also throwing a few pvc fittings in, that's it???