Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

which controller ?

I am in the market for a controller, mostly for the basic stuff and can't decide between Digital Aquatics or the ACjr from neptune. Any suggestions ?
Old 10/17/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

I have two Aquacontroller III's. I really like them and they have not failed me once. You can control the Aquacontroller III or junior from your PC computer. I don;t know anything about digital aquatics though but I believe you get more out of the Aquacontroller Jr.

Marc
Old 10/17/2007, 12:37 PM
Limestone cowboy

If your looking at the ACjr look at the new entry level profilux.
I have the profilux plus II and i love it!! Heres the small version.
Note the tunze's would not take up plug space there, and the 1-10v is so you can controll dimming moonlights/tunze's
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/cat...oducts_id=2088

If you want to controll more look at the plus II at AS there.
I like this controller the best out the ones i had. No PITA script writing, all windows based programs.
Old 10/17/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

The profilux looks pretty wicked. Does this controller have Web interface with ethernet port?

Marc
Old 10/17/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

I just bought a AC jr and so far really like it, although I wished I would have went ahead and got the AC III, as I have used up 10 outlets and already have plans for the other 2.

I don't think you will be dissapointed with the aquacontroller.

I did look at the Profilux and it is a really nice controller, although I did notice that when adding accessories such as additional outlets, probes, etc. these were somewhat expensive, more so than the AC's.

BTW, I was looking at the Profilux II, not light, it seemed more comparable to the AC III or maybe the pro if you utilized all the functions it could do, but this would be costly.
Old 10/17/2007, 03:06 PM
Limestone cowboy

Mark I believe it does, I have not gotten to that yet as i dont have the wireless. You might want to ask proline this question to get a better answer.

Spreston i found it to be the opposite as you. Look at adding the aquasurf to the mix. Also add in aquanotes price. GHL does not charge for the full software like AC. The temp probe is alot better than the AC. Its all how you look at it.
I really like it, and i liked my AC, But i would not go back.
So if you added on $200 for aquasurf, 80 bucks for the full version of aqunotes I think its pretty equal.

Now for the probes you reffere to as more expensive they are all lab grade, No cheapies. That would explain the extra cash.
If you wanted to use a cheaper brand probe then you can. It will work, Its not like its a different connector. They are all the same.
The controller will calibrate to the probe just the same.
I opted for GHL's lab grade instead of going with the cheaper model elsewhere. Thats just me, and i would do the same with a neptune.

Last edited by Creetin; 10/17/2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10/17/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

I was leaning towards the RK2. Now I don't know!

Dirk

Ocean Grove? I have a Deli in Oakhurst on hwy 35. Stop by and see my 75 gal reef in my Deli dining room, help me decide on rk2 or Ac jr
Old 10/17/2007, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

This is the last decision I have to make for the new tank and I seem to not be able to make up my mind either.
Old 10/18/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

I guess I am not the only one decidedly undecided. I like the ability to add extra outlets. I have heard some problems with soft start outlets and low wattage appliances.
Old 10/18/2007, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Check out: http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/
It kind of compares all the controllers on the market
Old 10/18/2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

Can ACIII or RK2 be wireless?
Old 10/18/2007, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

If you look in the two manufacturers forums, there are threads on that. I know the ACIII can be, I think the RK2 can be also, but it looks like it will be a PITA, unless you are computer literate. I think alot of people is using this on the RK2 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7556&CatId=906
There is a long thread on here about this. If ii can hunt it down I will post here. But you can go wireless.