Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2007, 11:22 AM
15 & Over Club

Exclamation Transaction purposal from FragWorkshop Thread

Original Thread.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1229017

Since I appear and reappear in membership and at meetings in bursts maybe I have no place to input. But my dues are current at this moment so I will.

In a comparative analysis it could go either way depending upon interpretation/view.

Well, if the club is to allow transactions before the meeting at the site of the meeting...parking lot or not. It's still bylaw loophole by circumvention. Reason I frame it thusly is; since club members and officers are in full knowledge of it. It's more or less acceptable or sponsored in belief at least that it's ok with the club.

A better premise for it, other than the trip odometer and time issues is more plausable. ****Dan/Salty Critter, sponsors the club and is very good to the club. If that is valid, then in essence Dan has become one of the forces that greases the wheels to assist the club to function. What better way to show that than to group order? Sponsored or at least acknowledged by the club from the very person who occupies that "client/patron" relationship with the club?

And Dave Burgman is right, pre-paid is probably the only way to go.

If we use my limited knowledge of the definition of a transaction and apply it to our possibility?
Technically the financial portion of the transaction took place elsewhere and the pre-meeting becomes merely the transfer location of goods. The transaction however, is not complete until the purchaser recieves the goods and or services in the conditionality(s) understood/agreed by both buyer and seller at the time of monetary exchange. So the parking lot or pre-meeting transfer becomes part of completing stage of the transaction.

And for reasons that Erik has pointed out. Bylaws and no shows. It's a grey area and it still leaves the possibility for who's liable for losses? What to do with pre-paid livestock that someone cannot pickup due to life happening? Or my bag was cold when I got it! Fish was not selected by you and here the fins look funny to you! Hey you were the one who picked this stuff up! This just seems like a hot potatoe that the club, although this is a darn good idea. It also leaves a door open to a whole enchalada of issues.

It's a good idea on one hand and not so good of an idea on the other.

I'm glad it's not my decision to make.
****If I had to vote on it I would say it's not ok.
It appears to be a walk-around of the club bylaws. Plus the can of worms linked with it forms the basis of my opinion that it's not a good idea. For asking Dan, the club, and the pick-up person; to become part of the loop of contractual exchange of goods/services whether directly stated or implied is probably not a good idea.

just my buck and a quarter.

Last edited by CleveYank; 11/03/2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11/03/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

I've been a member for a little over 2 yrs and have made arrangements for folks to bring frags to me at the meetings. It has worked out well most of the time, but last meeting i had asked 2 people for some frags and and due to a 4 hr blackout it was looking like i would have to pull a no show at the meeting. I made last minute phone calls to a fellow reefer to at least explain the situation. Fortunately the power came back on and i made it there, but once again someone could get stuck holding the bag.

Also i know that most people i have met are extremely particular about their tanks and the animals in them, so to have someone pick out a fish for me or a specific colony and deem it healthy seems to be quite a stretch. I think sticking to dry goods is the best thing to do. Otherwise its gonna blow up in someones face, be it the buyer or Salty Critter or any other LFS that would take part in something like this. Come on, i know it takes me an hour or often more at Dan's to decide what i want!! Just another view....
Old 11/03/2007, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

I would order dry goods or clean-up crew things like that but unless I seen a picture I would not order anything alive. That being said there was talk of salty selling live stock on-line so I guess there would be pictures