Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/23/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Water sealer? screws for stands?

i am going to be building a 96x 24x 36 stand and would like to know what kind of screws should i use? Stainless steel or composite? 3 or 4 in long? also what kind of water repellent or sealer should i use? is their one made for saltwater resistant on wood or just regular water? Oh and what is the best brand of wood glue also? Help me out asap!
Old 03/23/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

i used elmers wood glue
i also used PL premium

i used 3" deck screws - Green coated ones

i used MinWax Polyurethane for my sealer
Old 03/23/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

OK, lots of questions.

Screws: If you really want to spend the $$, then go with stainless. An unnecessary expense IMO, just go with a good quality decking screw and you will be fine. Mine have held up just fine for years now.

Sealant: I have used Thompsons but any high-quality water sealer will do. Several coats is best. Even better is a good outdoor-quality paint with a sealing primer (Kilz) for the inside and a polyurethane stain on the outside (or paint).

Glue: I use DL polyurethane construction adhesive. Real heavy-duty stuff. Takes a while to cure (24 hours) but when it does, there is no breaking it. Careful with it though as it takes like 5 days to get off your skin if you accidentaly get some on you. Even mineral spirits won't get it off!! Ruins any clothing as well. This is a "you-better-be-sure" type of glue. Sandable and paintable too once cured. I have a relative who used this on his dock down in Florida (saltwater intercoastal waterway) and it has held up for years!

Hope this helps!
Old 03/23/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

I second deck screws and polyurethane construction adhesive.

Yes, I really do design rockets for a living.
Old 03/23/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

can you use liquid nail for the glue
Old 03/23/2007, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

No, liquid nails would not allow for good close contact of your lumber, use a quality wood glue, polyurethane glues are strong, but expand. It is not a finish material glue. Differnet glues have different uses.