Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2005, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

SPS encrusting with no branching

I got an SPS frag of Purple nana one year ago and it has been encrusting over the rock I mounted it on for the full year now. No branching growth at all. Only encrusting on the rock. Anyone else have this happen with any of their SPS. Ive got a few others that are similar.

I also had a frag of orange staghorn that I mounted on its side and it was encrusting for about 10 months and finally all at once started shooting up like 5 or six branches.

I know you have to have paitents in this hobby, but gee whiz, a whole year of encrusting seems like an awful long time.
Old 11/21/2005, 08:41 PM
10 & Over Club

Mike, that usually means they are very happy and they are setting down a really big base so they can support a really big coral.
At least that's what it means when our's do that down here.
Old 11/21/2005, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Mike, that usually means they are very happy and they are setting down a really big base so they can support a really big coral.
Hope there is plenty of growing space
Old 11/21/2005, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

Maybe I should wish for another year of encrusting.
Old 11/21/2005, 09:55 PM
A. newbee

I have found that the frags in my tank that are in a higher flow area seem to branch out more. The ones that are in the lower flow area seem to encrust over the rock first.

However I prefer them to encrust over the rock first. Exactly like Bomber said. It’s just making a nice base for a great show piece. Either way your seeing growth and that means you are doing something right.

Cam
Old 11/21/2005, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

I have observed just the opposite in my tank. The ones in the heavier flow seem to throw down a much larger base. My thought is that the reason they tend to throw off a big base is to protect and stabilize themselves due to the high flow. Seems to be the trend in my tank anyway.
Old 11/21/2005, 11:31 PM
Premium Member

Have an Aquarium City Red Milli that drove me crazy for over a year doing the same thing in a high flow area. Now it has been "clear a path people"......it's getting very large very quickly.
Old 11/22/2005, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

We demand pictures!