Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/14/2005, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

I have never had problems with ICH. Most tangs get Head and Lateral Line Disease but if Bob is keeping corals then as long as your giving the Tang a good diet and have good water quality you won't have any problems. Tangs do get pretty big. So if he wants to keep a tang through adulthood will need to eventually move to a 100g. Some really nice tangs are Dijardini Tang .. very pretty, Powder Blue, Naso Tang.. Clownfish are safe in a reef, wrasses, gobies. If he is looking for a large fish a tang is going to be the best bet. Any of the other reef safe fish will get to maybe 6". Thats a clownfish.
Old 07/14/2005, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Would I be able to keep a yellow and blue tang (1-2") in my 10g QT at the same time?

Thanks Nick and Landon. I'm still plugging away trying to learn things.
I do find this tank so much easier to work on that the TBS tank. I can actually reach in (on a chair of course) and get to the bottom of the tank. Having the open top makes a huge difference.
I haven't re-arranged the rocks since the first week, but that was really easy to do since they were so lightweight.

I'd still like to be able to scape that TBS tank. I know I could make it awesome looking if I had a chance and was physically able to do it...which I'm not.
Old 07/14/2005, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jnb
[B]Pat - Your tank looks very nice - sort of serene, Japanese or something - I keep coming back to the pic

Dennis - I missed the tale - what is wrong with a Sally Lightfoot

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Looks like it's just you and I today Dennis.

The rg is in the tank and swimming around. It's bigger than the clown fish.
When they get larger they are know to take fish. My clown lost its tail the other day. My first thought was crab but then I did see the other clown nipping at it. These 2 clowns have been together for weeks and nothing but it has only been in the tank for 3 days with the Sally Lightfoot and something happens. I don't know if the crab was the cause or not but I have read since that when the Sally Lightfoot crabs get larger they can take your fish.
Old 07/14/2005, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

You could put one tang in a 10qt but he wouldn't be very happy with not alot of swimming room. Definately not enough room for 2 tangs. If you want to quarantine the tang before putting in Bob's tank the 10g is fine for a few weeks to make sure he is free of disease.
Old 07/14/2005, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bstear
You could put one tang in a 10qt but he wouldn't be very happy with not alot of swimming room. Definately not enough room for 2 tangs. If you want to quarantine the tang before putting in Bob's tank the 10g is fine for a few weeks to make sure he is free of disease.
Even if the tangs are only 1" long and are only in there for 30 days.
Old 07/14/2005, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Yup not a long term thing Pat. My two favs are Dijardini tang and Naso tang.. awesome coloring. The Dijardini (sailfin) tang looks so beautiful when it spreads its fins.

Here is a picture of a adult desjardini http://marinescene.com/detail.asp?id=1011

Here is a pic of the one in my 40g
: http://members.cox.net/bstear/images...ardinitang.jpg
Old 07/14/2005, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

Those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I'll have to re-evaluate and see what to do now. I wish the LFS had small ones. I just hate buying it and then have to pay the shipping charges x 2 or 3. The ones I see at the LFS are much larger and much more expensive. I prefer to get a little one and watch it grow. Chances are it would have to get traded in at some point when it would outgrow the tank.

Nick, I sent Dennis this link about the sally lightfoots. I know he posted that he just got one last week.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ightfoot+crabs
Old 07/14/2005, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

I got mine for $30 from the local fishstore. Im not sure what you mean by small ones. You can save yourself shipping charges and put him in the quarantine tank until you know he is free of disease. Its your decision. No problem sharing the pictures. I think Bob would really enjoy I know I do.
Old 07/14/2005, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bstear
I got mine for $30 from the local fishstore. Im not sure what you mean by small ones. You can save yourself shipping charges and put him in the quarantine tank until you know he is free of disease. Its your decision. No problem sharing the pictures. I think Bob would really enjoy I know I do.
I see them at petsolutions and they say 1-2". The ones I see around here in the LFS are a good 3" and run $60+.
Yes, I like to QT the fish to play safe. I just didn't know if I could get a yellow and blue that are 1-2" and keep them in QT at the same time.
Old 07/14/2005, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

Here are 2 pics of the clown's tail. They aren't the best pictures but the lighting in the QT is not too good and they wouldn't hold still.

Old 07/14/2005, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

WOW!
You sure were right when you said most of the tail is missing!
I hope it's going to be okay.
Old 07/14/2005, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
WOW!
You sure were right when you said most of the tail is missing!
I hope it's going to be okay.
I told you. Maybe this is a reason to get a nano tank started.
Old 07/14/2005, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

dennis -sorry to hear about your clowns. I didn't expect that to happen...it's possible the crab clipped the clown and in it's wounded state the other nipped it. I dunno. I kinda agree with your original thinking that the species is pretty docile. That tang sure is a cutie. Just be warned - give it a few years and that cutie will become this big pig of a fish. The Blue one (as opposed to the sailfin or yellow) have some big teeth too. Sometimes I wonder if it's more closely related to Triggers than to tangs.

I REALLY want to go out and buy some corals! Oh and clams look so cool to keep too! (I'm not talking about the freebie ones on my tbs rock). But man I just think waiting is the best bet. The tank is up 6 months - plenty of time right? I guess I just want to get the phosban reactor and refugium up for a bit and then verify the water parameters. Plus I don't think I can do the "pick up" shipment and then acclimate and go off to work deal. My commute is too long - so I"m pretty sure I'm going to have to bite the bullet and either do saturday delivery or find a reputable place local to me.
So I guess I'll have to live thru those of you who have corals (or interesting part 2 pics).

Oh - I should be reporting that 6 months later - I still find the occasional whelk and keyhole limpet. Pretty neat how new things appear every once in a while.
Old 07/14/2005, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

pat, pw usually has yellow tangs 2-3" for $25, thats where i got mine. hes now about 41/2"
Old 07/14/2005, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

Since I didn't post much today I thought I'd post a few pictures before I go to bed

Old 07/14/2005, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

Next batch:

Old 07/14/2005, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

Final batch:

Old 07/15/2005, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519

I REALLY want to go out and buy some corals! Oh and clams look so cool to keep too! (I'm not talking about the freebie ones on my tbs rock). But man I just think waiting is the best bet. The tank is up 6 months - plenty of time right? I guess I just want to get the phosban reactor and refugium up for a bit and then verify the water parameters. Plus I don't think I can do the "pick up" shipment and then acclimate and go off to work deal. My commute is too long - so I"m pretty sure I'm going to have to bite the bullet and either do saturday delivery or find a reputable place local to me.
So I guess I'll have to live thru those of you who have corals (or interesting part 2 pics).

Oh - I should be reporting that 6 months later - I still find the occasional whelk and keyhole limpet. Pretty neat how new things appear every once in a while.
I hear your pain!! Last night I was griping to Brett (yet again) about how "everyone else is getting stuff for their tank....why can't we?? whine whine whine!" LOL He keeps repeating...patience, patience, patience!! We got our second batch of rock the beginning of April and we had a horrid nitrate problem that is only now almost gone. We need to get our calcium and ph up in better ranges and want to make sure we can keep all parameters consistently stable before we start adding too much to the tank. We will have to live vicariously through the others posting pictures!

BTW, new things keep popping up in our tank too. That helps make the wait easier.
Old 07/15/2005, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Phil im with you. waiting is the best thing. you have plenty of time to get stocked up. the slower you do it the healthier everything should be.

Pat, i still think putting 2 fish in the QT is negating the purposes of the QT. especially with tangs. more than likely in the tank transfer one will get ICK for a short period. you would just be introducing it to the other, or whatever other fish you have, tang or not.
Old 07/15/2005, 07:50 AM
Premium Member

Yep, then I've got to get one locally. I'll take a trip to where Bob says they usually have them and hopefully they have small ones.

Next question: If I get a tang, and it has or gets ich in QT, what do I have to do to clean that tank out so it's healthy for future fish?
Old 07/15/2005, 08:16 AM
Soul of a Sailor

Just leave the tank fishless for 6 weeks and the parasites will starve to death.
Old 07/15/2005, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

pat, give them a call first, they had some last week. just a heads up, at feeding time they will dominate the tank and get the lions share of food
Old 07/15/2005, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
pat, give them a call first, they had some last week. just a heads up, at feeding time they will dominate the tank and get the lions share of food
Thanks. Just called and they don't have any. They said they're getting a shipment later today, so maybe they'll have some. I'll call back tonight or in the morning to see if they got any in. That saves me a 2 hour trip!
Old 07/15/2005, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

i'll be stopping there about 2:30
Old 07/15/2005, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
i'll be stopping there about 2:30
Can you let me know if they got any in then? Also, if you could look and see if they got any nice colorful corals would be great too.

Do they guarantee their fish in any way?