Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/08/2005, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

New anemone. My 2 percula clowns not going near it.Is this NORMAL

Just got a long tenacle rose tip sea anemone its about 3-4 inches in diameter. I have had it for 5 days & my two clowns dont want to come near it. is this normal? I dont have any other anemones so i thought they would get along fine with the new anemone.Its a 29gallon tank a have.
Old 08/08/2005, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Are they currently hosting in anything else (Hammer, gsp, mushrooms)? If they've already got a home they may not want to switch. Otherwise it maybe an issue with flow in the area where the anemone is.

You could try feeding near the anemone so they get used to that area.
Old 08/08/2005, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Give it time. Its like children learning to ride a new bike. Some pick it up quick.. others take forever

Sidenote- They may never learn to ride the bank. :/
Old 08/08/2005, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

If your Clowns are tank raised this may never happen. Tank raised Clowns have never seen anemones before therefore they dont know what they are for. If they are not tank raised this could take up to 6 months. Im not saying that all tank raied Clowns will never host an anemone. Just be patient.
Old 08/09/2005, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

My tank raised havent gone near my anemones yet and its been a year, nor does it host in anything else. The clarkies or Sabea on the other hand couldnt care less about what they host in and I often find them going from one thing to another on different days.
I all really depends on the fish. I have seen some Tank raised host and other not. ride it out and see what happens
Old 08/09/2005, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Some clowns are specific to what type of anenome they will let host them.

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf
Old 08/09/2005, 11:18 AM
Frugal Reefer

You have to match the clown to the anemone as mentioned, and even then you are not guaranteed success. I did manage to get a pair of ocellaris clowns to host in a RTBA, but I lost them both. I not have a clarkii (natural clown for a RTBA) and it swam right in and has rarely been out of it since.

Hit the little red house above for the ARC website! You know you want to!
Old 08/09/2005, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

I read that you can also put one of those cheap (like from Petco) vegetable clips that look like a clown near the anemone and the clowns will think it is real and will host in the anemone.
Old 08/09/2005, 11:32 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Re: New anemone. My 2 percula clowns not going near it.Is this NORMAL

Quote:
Originally posted by jrcastro
Just got a long tenacle rose tip sea anemone its about 3-4 inches in diameter. I have had it for 5 days & my two clowns dont want to come near it. is this normal? I dont have any other anemones so i thought they would get along fine with the new anemone.Its a 29gallon tank a have.
I had a similar problem with my colwn..and a friend recommended i switch to a bubble tip...so after i took his advice..within 24 hours my clown was happier than ever..and he will only leave it now to feed.
Old 08/09/2005, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys. anymore input would help
Old 08/09/2005, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

i had the same problem with my clowns. so one day at the lfs i saw some clowns in the tank that were loving their anemone so i brought them home and they went right in it. my other clown got the picture then it seemed cuz they took to it then too
Old 08/09/2005, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

I am not necessarily recommending this, but this is what a lfs did to get tank raised clown to host an anemone.

They got a small container with holes in it. Say a in tank refugium. Placed the anemone and clown in the small tank for a day and voila, clown had no other choice. But this may cause too much stress on the clown.