Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 02:38 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by strikleebizness
GRIM REEFER...you're the man

Time for my question:

My current setup is a 48"x18"x18" 75 gal.

I have an IceCap 430 running 3 VHOs (they were hand-me-downs, but I know I is blue actinic)

I plan to upgrade and add an IceCap 660 Ballast overdriving 4 T5 bulbs. My config would be VHO/2xT5/VHO/2xT5/VHO

a) I am hoping to be able to do SPS, including ACROS
b) Where should I place the blue actinic lighting?
c) What T5 bulbs should I buy?

I need to know bulb brands and types. A list would be fine, but please comment on my ability to do acros. Also, what about reflectors?

THANKS
Acros EASILY. I assume your VHO's will all be actinics, that is what your should do anyway.

I'd do this

Front
VHO Actinic
ATI Blue Plus T5
UVL Aquasun T5
VHO Actinic
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
VHO Actinic

Grab an ATI or Geismann Aquablue as a spare lamp and if you think that look is too blue you can put it in place of the bacl Blue Plus or if you would like more blue you can put it in place of the rear Aquasun. It is a decent replacement for either lamp not making a huge change in color or PAR output.
Old 12/11/2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by uhuru
woohoo! I was able to pick up an aquactinics TX5 at the old price, so I would appreciate new bulb recommendations. This is for a 40g breeder (36x18x16H) SPS and 1 RBTA. Thanks!
Nice score

Front
ATI Aquablue or for more blue look ATI blue Plus.
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
Old 12/11/2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevinshoemake3
Here's a pretty simple question.

I have 2X54 retro fit hagen glo T5ho bulbs without reflectors in a home made hood on my 48" long 55 gallon tank. I have a zoa colony, a clown pair, and a 7-8 decent size frags in my tank. The zoas are growing with my current setup.

I ordered 2x54 retro fit tek lighting from marine depot to go along with my other 2 bulbs. I plan to run 2 acentic bulbs without reflectors, and the 10k bulbs with the reflectors.

Do I need to acclimate the tank to the additional lighting or can i simply cut the new lights on without any ill effects?

thanks!
If you have only had the hagen stuff for any length of time yes, I would start with a couple hours a day for the 10Ks. Add say an hour a week until your up to 10 hours or how ever you want to run them.
Old 12/11/2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bassist6108
Same here. I could really use bulb choice help. But I mostly have LPS. THanks, and sorry to jump in uhuru, hope you don't mind!
Mostly LPS try

Front
Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL 75/25
ATI BLue Plus
ATI Aquablue

Should make stuff glow. You might need to swap positions of the first and last lamps (Blue Plus and Aquablue) to tweak the look.
Old 12/11/2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rleechb
Hey Grim -
I'm running 2 x 250w Phoenix bulbs. The color's way too blue for me. Is there anything I could add to whiten the color a bit, without losing the "pop" (maybe even add extra color)?

I've got a 2 x 39w T5 retrofit. how do you think a white-ish bulb in the front along w/ something red/purple in the back would fare? Thanks!
You could do an ATI aquablue in front and a KZ Fiji Purple or UVL 75/25 behind. The Aquablue is probably a bit whiter than the Phoenix and the Purple or 75/25 with have a lil red in the output. Should wash the blue about right.
Old 12/11/2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nattydread
Grim!

I have a Solarflare and I am slowly becomming an all SPS tank.

I am currently running this config. I am not completely impressed with the colors.

Row 1) ATI Aquablue Special
Row 2) ATI Blue Plus
Row 3) ATI Aquablue Special
Row 4) GE 6500K
Row 5) ATI Blue Plus
Row 6) ATI Aquablue Special

Would you reccomend any changes to help bring out the color in my sps?
Try this
Front
ATI Aquablue
UVL Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color
GE 6500K or Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
Old 12/11/2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ooja3k
Hey grim got a question for you.

Would you recommend acclimating my corals to this change in lighting??

I have the Nova Extreme 36" fixture with "stock" bulbs now. I am going with your recommendation with the 2x blue plus, SA, and AS. There will be a small increase in PAR but would you suggest acclimating the corals to this change?

Thanks
Shouldn't be a large enough change to need to acclimate. Just keep an eye on the critters.
Old 12/11/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Thanks
Old 12/11/2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
front
blue plus
aquablue
super actinic
pro color
blue plus
aquasun
aquablue
super actinic
blue plus
aquasun

I'm considering changing out the central aquasun with a Fiji purple.
front
blue plus
aquablue
super actinic
pro color
blue plus
aquasun Maybe try a Fiji Purple or UVL 75/25
aquablue Maybe a Blue Plus here
aquasun
super actinic
blue plus

Before you change any lamps I would change the positions of the 3 rear lamps to this. You want the back Aquasun away from the edge where it can do the most good. You can tweak the positions to suit your ablity to have a good Dusk/dawn. I am not sure of the switching ablities of that lamp. I would maybe try the center Aquasun in the position that Pro Color is in too just to see what that does.

I see you are a Team RCer, perhaps you can use your mighty influence to use your picture or perhaps even another one if you add more lamps in a sticky where we could throw some basic T5 info into and then close the thread. Your lamp colors look fairly accurate and having such a lage number of lamps really helps to give some perspective to the difference in colors.

Great Job!
Old 12/11/2007, 03:25 PM

Opps
Old 12/11/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Thanks again Grim!
Old 12/11/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the good advice Grim.

Tomorrow I am going to go ahead and order 2 of the 8 lamp 48" VHO Iccap Retros. I have two questions for ya.

1. I will be placing them in my canopy but I will have to hang them to I can get them the correct distance from the water. Any Ideas on the bes way to accomplish this?

2. Are there any formulas I can use to calculate my energy savings on these fixtures compared to my 2 400 MH and 2 250 MH lamps?

Thanks,
Stilgore
Old 12/11/2007, 04:53 PM

Each 4 lamps will use right around 300 wtts so right around 1200 watts. The halides really depend on your systems. DE halides use more wattage than their advertised rating so 250 watt DE's can use anywhere from 300 to 350 watts. Magnetic ballasts also use more power.
Old 12/11/2007, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

Cool

Grim - just wanted to thank your for all your advice and help.... my tank looks great under the new lights -- i took the last window screen this morning... and I even got my first SPS Frags over the weekend....

As far as lighting for the SPS, if i want them to grow will i need to switch to the Icecap VHO ballast or is the HO ballast OK?

If your "Aurora" is Aurora, CO I grew up not too far from there off of Leetsdale and Monaco near GWHS... I do miss CO.

-david
Old 12/11/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

oh hrmm.. thanks grim. but between the TX5 and the MH/T5 Classic , is there a large difference in performance between these two?
Old 12/11/2007, 06:30 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
front
blue plus
aquablue
super actinic
pro color
blue plus
aquasun Maybe try a Fiji Purple or UVL 75/25
aquablue Maybe a Blue Plus here
aquasun
super actinic
blue plus

Before you change any lamps I would change the positions of the 3 rear lamps to this. You want the back Aquasun away from the edge where it can do the most good. You can tweak the positions to suit your ablity to have a good Dusk/dawn. I am not sure of the switching ablities of that lamp. I would maybe try the center Aquasun in the position that Pro Color is in too just to see what that does.

I see you are a Team RCer, perhaps you can use your mighty influence to use your picture or perhaps even another one if you add more lamps in a sticky where we could throw some basic T5 info into and then close the thread. Your lamp colors look fairly accurate and having such a lage number of lamps really helps to give some perspective to the difference in colors.

Great Job!
Thanks Grim, that's a great idea about the sticky. I don't think my influence is very mighty at all, but I'll certainly make the request and then get back to you. I agree it would benefit a lot of T5 users as well as those interested in beginning to use these lamps.

As for my tank, I need to keep the super actinic in the 8th position, as this is the dusk/dawn slot (along with position #3). I originally tried a super actinic at #3 and a blue plus at #8, but those lamps are so far apart it made for a purple front and a blue back with almost no blending of the colors. Too bad, as that's a real nice combination for dusk/dawn. My original lamp configuration had 2 aquasuns fairly close together, and this created a pink zone that didn't look very good. That combined with a very dark rear of the tank prompted me to move the aquasun toward the back, which brightened the back of the tank substantially. If you check out my PAR map on p.10 of this thread you'll see what I'm currently getting. Speaking of that, you didn't comment on that PAR map - are those readings about what you would expect? When viewing the numbers keep in mind that the fixture is only 48" wide on my 60" tank, 24" deep on a 30" deep tank, and it's hung 6" above the water level.
Old 12/11/2007, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

Maybe I have missed this in my searches, but with the width of T5 reflectors has anyone started trying to angle their reflectors for better light coverage in larger/deeper tanks? I do not see it being very beneficial for small tanks, but for larger ones (my 200 for example) I would think that angling the reflectors at the edges of the tank towards the center, maybe 22.5 degrees as a start, would cut down on "wasted" light getting thrown out the front, back, and side panes. Who needs to light the area around the tank anyways...
Old 12/11/2007, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Icecap t-5 standoff question.

The rectangular opening in the standoffs that hold the endcaps in place are "off center" by design. (3/8" from the standoff's edge to the opening on one side, and 1/16" from the standoff's edge to the opening on the opposite side). Which way should they be mounted to the canopy? So the thicker side of standoff is below the "endcap opening" and facing the standoff/endcap on the opposite side of the canopy, or the other way around?

Hope this makes sense. I have seen pictures on the forum with these standoffs mounted both ways.
Old 12/11/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Grim,
im setting up a 220 gallon system 72*24*30high i was thinking of going with a sfiligoi 12*80watt set-up. I have mostly sps. any thoughts on this set-up for sps and if it would work i could use some help on what bulbs to use.

thanks for any help
Old 12/12/2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woganaga
Grim - just wanted to thank your for all your advice and help.... my tank looks great under the new lights -- i took the last window screen this morning... and I even got my first SPS Frags over the weekend....

As far as lighting for the SPS, if i want them to grow will i need to switch to the Icecap VHO ballast or is the HO ballast OK?

If your "Aurora" is Aurora, CO I grew up not too far from there off of Leetsdale and Monaco near GWHS... I do miss CO.

-david
yeah, its Co. Only lived here little over a year. Kinda sucks living in the big city again.

You should be OK with the HO ballasts unless you go sll out SPS.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sbcaes
oh hrmm.. thanks grim. but between the TX5 and the MH/T5 Classic , is there a large difference in performance between these two?
Probably depend on which MH you chose but I imagine the 250 watt halide t5 unit is going to be more intense.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
Thanks Grim, that's a great idea about the sticky. I don't think my influence is very mighty at all, but I'll certainly make the request and then get back to you. I agree it would benefit a lot of T5 users as well as those interested in beginning to use these lamps.

As for my tank, I need to keep the super actinic in the 8th position, as this is the dusk/dawn slot (along with position #3). I originally tried a super actinic at #3 and a blue plus at #8, but those lamps are so far apart it made for a purple front and a blue back with almost no blending of the colors. Too bad, as that's a real nice combination for dusk/dawn. My original lamp configuration had 2 aquasuns fairly close together, and this created a pink zone that didn't look very good. That combined with a very dark rear of the tank prompted me to move the aquasun toward the back, which brightened the back of the tank substantially. If you check out my PAR map on p.10 of this thread you'll see what I'm currently getting. Speaking of that, you didn't comment on that PAR map - are those readings about what you would expect? When viewing the numbers keep in mind that the fixture is only 48" wide on my 60" tank, 24" deep on a 30" deep tank, and it's hung 6" above the water level.
PAR numbers are a little higher than I would have guessed. Those ATI fixtures are just NASTY good. Your numbers are in line with a friends 75 using 4 overdriven lamps, 2 HO all with the Tek reflectors over a 20" tall 75. Pretty good considering the ATI isn't overdriving the lamps and the tank is 4" taller. His lights are just a few inches above the tank too..
Old 12/12/2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fillibar
Maybe I have missed this in my searches, but with the width of T5 reflectors has anyone started trying to angle their reflectors for better light coverage in larger/deeper tanks? I do not see it being very beneficial for small tanks, but for larger ones (my 200 for example) I would think that angling the reflectors at the edges of the tank towards the center, maybe 22.5 degrees as a start, would cut down on "wasted" light getting thrown out the front, back, and side panes. Who needs to light the area around the tank anyways...
I've always sorta assumed people turn at least the front and rear reflectors. The Ice Cap puts more light 2"off center than directly under the lamp at 24". If the edge of the reflector is less than about 2 inches from the edge of the tank it should be turned in a little at least. You dont want to turn them so far that you start bouncing light of the top of the next reflector over.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Lambert
Icecap t-5 standoff question.

The rectangular opening in the standoffs that hold the endcaps in place are "off center" by design. (3/8" from the standoff's edge to the opening on one side, and 1/16" from the standoff's edge to the opening on the opposite side). Which way should they be mounted to the canopy? So the thicker side of standoff is below the "endcap opening" and facing the standoff/endcap on the opposite side of the canopy, or the other way around?

Hope this makes sense. I have seen pictures on the forum with these standoffs mounted both ways.
I can't tell you without doubt or hesitation that I don't have the slightest idea

I mounted mine with the lips facing out so the wires were kinda tucked under them.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jpa14
Grim,
im setting up a 220 gallon system 72*24*30high i was thinking of going with a sfiligoi 12*80watt set-up. I have mostly sps. any thoughts on this set-up for sps and if it would work i could use some help on what bulbs to use.

thanks for any help
I havent seen any PAR readings done on those. They are pretty spendy, I sure hope they perform. Sorry I can't be of any real help.