Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/05/2007, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Cool DIY pest extractor... Think it will work??

I added 90lbs of liverock to my tank to start my cycle about 10days ago. I was able to capture (kill) one very large hairy crab, but the rest are really getting the better of me. Anyway, I have an idea for a device for catching these guys and just wanted to get some feedback.

I was think about building a 'vacuum' device. Was thinking I could get a small vac. pump, a sturdy plastic chamber of some sort, a ball valve and vinyl hose. The idea would be to create a vacuum in the chamber with the vac. pump, close the ball valve, fix the hose and search for a crab. Once the crab is located, it would be a matter of placing the hose in close proximity of the hole he went into and then opening the ball valve. The desired effect would be the hole contents being 'sucked' into the chamber for subsequent relocation. So what do you think? Anyone know of such a device or tried the principle?

I really dont want to take the tank apart. I have also noticed that many of crabs will allow my 'skewer' to get pretty close to them before darting for cover. Sometimes only retire a short distance into the hole.

thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 03/05/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

i had hell with these little guys i had one in a tank that would not be caught they are preety smart. i took some frozen food and lured him out of the hole and stabed him with a skewer. turn off your pump so the food desent get blown all over
Old 03/05/2007, 11:24 AM
www.kandnsales.net

make a mini crabbing pot or trap. bait it with a shrimp and wait.
Old 03/05/2007, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

I tried the crab trap idea first. I went with a funnel neck design using a 330ml plastic soda bottle (cut the neck and reverse it). Anyway, after 6 days all I had was smelly prawn 'goo' and no crabs. Even went as far as to place it close to selected crab holes.

I think part of the problem is that the really small crabs appear to be finding plenty of good stuff to eat on the rock and wont bother chasing an old piece of shrimp in a funny looking trap.

I also did the skewer thing... lots of legs floating around, but only one success story.

I am not trying to overcomplicate this problem. I am just thinking that a vacuum device might be a simple way to get rid of a common problem. Maybe I'm wrong, but unless someone can convince me otherwise, I think I will be pursuing this a little further in the coming days.
Old 03/05/2007, 11:34 AM
Relax. Salad bowl is 300g

Hey Newman, that sounds look a very ggod idea; quite inventive. Sounds like it could also be used to trap fish. Keep us posted if you do build one.
Support Intelligunt Desine!
I want to get a bunch of Hermit crabs and force them to live with each other.