Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/05/2005, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Location: BR.monroe.metairie. Love the country, yet miss the conveniences. Geaux Tigers.
CoralVue Technologies

I have used CoralVue bulbs for a while now. The 12K's were great, the 14K's are even better.

Recently, I purchased a retrofit kit on ebay by CoralVue ($210) and it arrived in great condition. I didn't buy it from CV directly, but it fired right up and surprisingly, the ballast was electronic and the reflector is sweet.

The ballast stopped working for some reason. I replaced the fuse and it would still not come on. Last saturday, I called CV for help and left a message, expecting to get help sometime this week.
David, the owner, called me one hour later to troubleshoot my wiring. He apologized for my inconvenience and requested that I send the ballast back to him(not the retailer!!!???!!! wow) and he would fix it up for me.

It goes off today to him, but I must say, if you need a great setup and want stellar service, check them out.
Old 04/09/2005, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Nice to know the service is good. I bought a pair of 250w, electronic CoralVue ballasts on ebay that should arrive Tuesday. Hopefully, I won't have the same problem!
Old 04/09/2005, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

From our experiences, David will take care of you. Nice guy!
Old 04/09/2005, 11:17 PM
Max Reefer

CoralVue is a great company and their dedication to quality products is excellent.
Old 04/09/2005, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

CoralVue

--Rick
Old 06/02/2005, 03:47 PM
Moved On

i have had great experience also! coralvue rocks!!
Old 06/03/2005, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

I too have to give props to david and coralvue for their service. Bought 2 14k bulbs from AquaCave and for some reason 1 bulb gave up on me the first week. COntacted David sent bulb out and got bulb back the following week no questions asked.
Old 06/04/2005, 11:41 AM
Master of my domain

I had a problem with one of my 400w eballast. I sent it off to Dave and he fixed it up fast and sent it back to me. Customer service is great and VERY reliable now. I like it when a product manufactuer stand by there products with out the run around. Since then the the ballasts have work flawlessly.
Old 06/04/2005, 12:07 PM
RC Mod

[moved]
Old 06/05/2005, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

Ill give a big thumbs up also! There were some 'growing pains" in the beginning, but David always took care of things. A-1 customer service, and a damn good product to boot.
Old 06/08/2005, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

I ran a CV ballast with an XM 10K and AB 10K bulb. This ballast made the bulbs look pee yellow, it was disgusting. I then ran them through my IC ballast and was a nice crisp white.

I wrote Dave at CV to see if there was anything they could do to perhaps increase the power output or something to make the bulbs run whiter. He gave me a spiel about how poor quality the XM and AB bulbs were, and that the problem is to do with the bulbs and not the ballast. He then tried to sell me his CV bulbs. This really pi$... me off. I ended up getting into an arguement by emailing back and forth about where the problem was, until I finally quit alltogether. He also told me not to believe everything you read on RC, which maybe true but I found it a little odd that he would bring that up.

I was on another Canadian board when I read that Dave was posting under an alias in which he never revealed that he was the president of CoralVue. He acted just like another fellow reefer, but telling people about how great CV products were. I then searched for his nickname here on RC, and found that he was using the same nick and promoting his products anonymously. He has since then been banned from RC for doing that, but anybody who demonstrates to be as unprofessional as Dave was doesn't deserve my business.

Just my $.02

10 bucks says tnguy86 above and acrogirl23 is him again re-registered under different nicknames, that's why these are banned! Do a search for his posts. I bet it's him again, since he's posted under every CV topic.
Old 06/09/2005, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

Dirty Reefer this is not right of you to keep downing Dave or CoralVue, I am sorry you feel you had a bad time with them and there product, you posted the exact same thing in a thread today, word for word. What you have written is almost on the line of slandering Dave and CoralVue, please stop. When it comes to your bulb and ballast, All I can say is read Sanjays reports on CoralVue, you will see that CoralVue E-ballest drives the same if not more watts than the other E-ballasts out there 90% of the time. If you look at cnidarianreef reports on 250 se lamps the results are the same. So mabey it is not the Ballast but the Bulb, not that the bulb is bad, its just some bulbs do not do as good on E-Ballasts as we would like them to be because the bulb is designed to run on other non E-ballasts (M80, HQI, etc) But yes E-ballasts fire 99% of all bulbs and run them. You are not the only one to run into problems running certian bulbs on E-Ballasts, Before you put someone or something down please do your homework. So please stop putting Dave/CoralVue down as he can not respond to this. Thankyou.

P.S. Sorry to point this at you dirtyreefer, I am not tring to afend you in anyway shape of form, I just do not feel this is right of you to do. Once agian thankyou. and Yes I use Daves products, I like them, and yes he takes care of his problems and his service is probably reported across RC as being one of the very best. Once agian sorry to hear you had a bulb/E-ballast problem.
Old 06/09/2005, 02:10 PM
Moved On

coralvue has great stuff. I bought 3 retros from www.captivereefs.com (ring any bells illusion?) and i have had no problems wit them at all. Infact i did not like the color of the 14K bulb so i called coralvue and he traded me for a 10K with no questions asked. I just had to fax him a copy of my invoice to prove date of purchase. and send him the 14K. They are working great over my grow out tubs!!!
Old 06/09/2005, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

MadCoral.. The way your coming off are you not Dave himself or Related to him... Your prior post history Reflects many CV related posts.. Seems kinda Fishy to me...

James
Old 06/09/2005, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

MadCoral I think it's only fair for everyone to share their opinions, especially when this is a vendor experience thread. Although I've only had 1 encounter with coralvue so far and has been pleased with the result. I still keep my ears open to hear other people's problem from the same company and learn from their mistakes and not make the same mistake myself.
Old 06/09/2005, 02:41 PM
Moved On

not related in any way. I Just have a local mail order business that is local and that is what he sells and supports so that is what i buy and use.
Old 06/09/2005, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Please stick to first hand experiences with vendors, not attacks on members based on second hand information.--billsreef

Last edited by billsreef; 06/10/2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06/09/2005, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

MadCoral, you sound too much like Dave at CoralVue.

I didn't even read Illusion's post, but after reading your previous one addressed to me, it sure sounds familiar.

Firstly, using the term slander is the first familiar word that comes to mind. Why do you care what I or Illusion says about Dave and CV? Why tell me to stop? I can almost sense from the tone of your post (so aggressive and defensive) that you are Dave because the emails I received from him were exactly the same type of message. And he also used incorrect grammer (e.g. "there" instead of "their"). Time to speak to the mods about you.

If someone else was saying something about hmmm Tunze (a product I love), I wouldn't get in there and defend it and go off on the complaintant about it. I couldn't care less what other people said about it, I have my own personal experiences and would still do business with them.

Why are you getting so personal with Illusion anyways? Why do you care????? This is a forum about Coralvue and nothing else. If you want to go off on him, you should create another thread to do so.

Dave is the lowest of the low when it comes to business practices. You do not sh*t down other products and inpersonate existing or potential customers to sell your products. The kind of sneaky business tactics that Dave uses makes me sick. It's pathetic actually. If I were him, I would stop doing this and try to support their customer base a little better. I have no problems informing the public about what kind of business he is running if he chooses not to do so.
Old 06/10/2005, 01:31 AM
10 & Over Club

I don't know who MadCoral is, but I can tell you that he's not Dave. Posting from the wrong state for that.

Also since Dave from CV cannot post to RC in order to post his side of any story, it is best that he not be discussed all.

To that end this thread is closed.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)