Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/13/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Angle in a reef..yes or no??

I have to try one more time before I give up on an angle for good.

Is there an angle fish that will not pick at sps? I’ve heard many people so “no way, you’ll be cursing yourself as your fighting to catch it in a couple weeks to get it out” Others say there are one or two very good choices for an angle.
The latest info tells my a golden angle my live well in a reef tank and not touch the sps.

I could really use some experienced opinions on the subject to help me make up my mind?

Thanks
Old 10/13/2007, 08:31 PM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

no! you do not want an angel in a reef. they pic at EVERYTHING, including SPS. they are IMO, a nuissance to reefs.
Old 10/13/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

There are no angels that are reefsafe. Some pick less than others. It depends on the individual as much as the species. I have tried african flamebacks, cherubs, potters, blue faced, majestic, coral beauties and regal angels. All picked and some were worse that others, some were nightmares. The only truly reefsafe was the regal, but 95 out of a 100 die within 6 months, so avoid that one. After much heartache, I have given up.
Old 10/13/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

I had a coral beauty angel in a reef for about 1.5 years and he was just fine...Probably luck though because I have always been told NO angels in a reef tank...

Old 10/13/2007, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

angels are iffy, but some that come to mind that do well in reefs :
coral beauty (as mentioned above), flame (not a bad rep for reefs), multicolor, interruptus, resplendens, joculator, fishers, flavicauda,
ummm few others i can't think of

Genicanthus angels are the most reef safe you can get. They usually dont pick at anything if they are fed well.

you have options, but always have a back up plan.
Old 10/13/2007, 10:10 PM
Our man in the East

Genicanthus are as reef safe as any 'reef safe' fish. They are also very beautiful IMO. I have a pair of black spot and they are model citizens.
Here is an article from Reef Keeping all about them.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/hcs3/index.php
Old 10/13/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

C. argi are pretty safe as far as Centropyge go. also, smaller so damage is minimalized.

Matthew
Old 10/14/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

i have a coral beauty in my reef and he doesnt pick at anything except the rocks occasionally

but i dont have any SPS either
Old 10/14/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

BangkokMatt, the link (thanks) talks about the Genicanthus anglefish verity. -

“Genicanthus species angelfish are only starting to receive the fanfare they deserve. Their popularity among reef aquarists is growing, and for good reason. They are planktivores, which allows them to be kept in aquariums filled with prized corals.”

Great info – are you aware of any Genicanthus that are dwarf or smaller; I only have a 65 gal tank.
Old 10/14/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

I have a coral beauty in my 120 with numerous types of soft corals. He has never touched any of them. Also have a cherub pygmy in a 29, who asn't touched the mushrooms or leather. Guess maybe I was lucky.
Old 10/14/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

I have a golden angel in my reef . It picks a little here and there on my sps, but not enough to do any damage yet. It spends A LOT of time behind the rocks, and is to nervous to come out and do a to much damage.
Old 10/14/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

A small captive bred C. Argi.

I can't imagine a reef tank without one. The way they slip between the crevices in live rock is mesmerizing.
Old 10/14/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

we have...

-coral beauty in 65 (~5 months, no picking at any corals)
-coral beauty in 90 (~2+ years, no picking at any corals)
-potters in 33 (newly added, so far no picking)
-flame in 46 (~5 months, picks minimally, never enough to cause any damage, just close up the coral its bothering)

all 4 are pretty peacful fish, dont really bother anyone, and always very actively swimming in and out of the rockwork, all 4 tanks are loaded with mushrooms, zoos, lps, sps, shrimp, snails etc etc.
Old 10/14/2007, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

I have one of these.

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/ang...angelfishmale/

doesn't bother any corals.
Old 10/14/2007, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

I have an Interruptus pair, Joculator pair & a trio of Hawaiian Resplendent Angelfish that I have had no problems with.
Old 10/14/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Well, I'm sticking to my first impression...no angle, Would be near imposable to remove it without ripping the whole tank apart. Glad some people can keep them with little or no impact.

As much as I would like one...I'll pass. Now I have to find a suable substitute. Any ideas?
Old 10/14/2007, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

Kole tang?
Old 10/14/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

We have a bicolored pygmy and he does not bother any of the corals.
Old 10/14/2007, 08:15 PM
Our man in the East

Quote:
Originally posted by Davidb6
BangkokMatt, the link (thanks) talks about the Genicanthus anglefish verity. -

“Genicanthus species angelfish are only starting to receive the fanfare they deserve. Their popularity among reef aquarists is growing, and for good reason. They are planktivores, which allows them to be kept in aquariums filled with prized corals.”

Great info – are you aware of any Genicanthus that are dwarf or smaller; I only have a 65 gal tank.
You could have a small blackspot female in a 65. They are very slow growers so the size of tank will be ok. How heavily stocked are you.
Old 10/14/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

hrer a picture of my golden angel.

Old 10/14/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

looking down from the top you will see sps about every 6 inches a part (front to back, side to side). Along the bottom is mostly soft corals, fan, etc.
Old 10/14/2007, 10:09 PM
Our man in the East

Do you have other fish
Old 10/14/2007, 11:49 PM
Old Man

Personally I don't know that I could do a reef without a angel currently in my various reefs around the house I have a Bicolor (picker but who needs more Kenya trees anyways), Flame, Coral Beauty, Bellus, Asfur, and Majestic.
Old 10/15/2007, 05:31 AM
Premium Member

I'd have to 2nd the Genicanthus species as the only "true reef safe" angels. But like you said, a 65gallon might not be able to house them very well. They generally get to 6"-9" and need room to swim.

Any of the other semi reef safe angels are a coin flip. Up to you if it's worth the risk and headache. I personally have been trying to catch out a coral beauty and haven't been able to snag the lil punk.
Old 10/15/2007, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Exactly Cozen89, I would love to have an angle but getting it out would be near impossible without ripping the whole thing apart. I really don’t care if it nips at the tree but the SPS is another story.

BangkokMatt, I only have 4 green chromis and one oc clown. They are all about 1.5 inches long at this point. I want to add 2 more fish - something that will provide color and interest by being an active swimmer (and grazer) and one for the bottom like a sand sifting blenny.

I have to consider the other tank mates as well in my selection -3 crabs -1 emerald, 2 unknown (hitchhikers on birdsnest corals),1 cleaner shrimp (want to add a different shrimp), 7 cleaner clams (under the sand), tiny stars, I abalone and lots of dusters.