Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Philadelphia Area Reef Club (PARC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/09/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

the hidden reef

has anybody heard when the hidden will open?
Old 02/09/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

it is open but only the dry goods. the fish room still needs some time
Old 02/09/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

thanks
Old 02/15/2007, 06:18 AM
Registered Member

thr

Any inside info as to when the fish room opens? Have gift certificate burning a hole in the seat of my car.
Old 02/15/2007, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

1.5 - 2 month
Old 02/15/2007, 02:16 PM
I'll take SWords for $500

I was just there last week. what they have so far (dry goods) is worht the trip! Talked to Ziggy and the tanks will be up soon. In fact, the wood for the stands was being delivered as I was talking to him.
Old 02/21/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Indeed, the Hidden Reef IS open but only selling dry goods and/or supplies.

However its VERY SAD to see ALREADY their prices are HIGHER than other LFS and they aren't even fully operational.

They should change their website.... on it, they state the reason for opening early was their customers were complaining of paying higher prices. They themselves are doing the same... CHARGING HIGHER PRICES!

I suppose thats the why's and how they plan on paying for such a large establishment.

Old 02/21/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flamehawk365

However its VERY SAD to see ALREADY their prices are HIGHER than other LFS and they aren't even fully operational.

They should change their website.... on it, they state the reason for opening early was their customers were complaining of paying higher prices. They themselves are doing the same... CHARGING HIGHER PRICES!

I suppose thats the why's and how they plan on paying for such a large establishment.

any examples? was in there a few weeks ago and thought the prices were good. Salt was exactly what it used to be before the flood, and i bought a few other dry goods (cleaning supplies and a claw) that I remember were priced the same.
Old 02/21/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

me too

I went and bought salt and some light bulbs that were cheaper then any other options I know of

I don't know what old prices were but what I looked at was cheaper then current prices elsewhere
Old 02/21/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Yea, I went in when they opened and the prices seemed reasonable. Please let me know if there are some products we can get cheaper elsewhere. I don't mind driving a little extra if I can save some $$ if it's not too far a drive.
Old 02/21/2007, 07:33 PM
I'll take SWords for $500

i expected them to be a bit higher but when i finally went i was pleasantly surprised. looked the same or better as before. and not noticably higher than anywhere else.

i was amazed that i could buy a whole pack of frozen mysis cubes for under $4!!!! especially since i cant seem to find good frozen food anywhere i go!!! i am going back solely for that alone.
Old 02/21/2007, 10:40 PM
amateur zookeeper

Quote:

I'd like to know some examples too. Their 6' VHO bulbs are the same price as before and are still cheaper than online both in base price and WAY cheaper when you figure in oversized shipping. Plus they actually have them when no one else does (including ECA's ordering book).
Old 02/22/2007, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

I was there last week and picked up a filter for the same price. as I did 2 years ago off of them..

120 - Salt

65- empty ( gone )

55 - 5- 1inch rbs (gone)

10 hex- Salt (SOLD)

10- Empty(gone )

2.5- Mini reef(gone)
Old 02/22/2007, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
huh? what? you have got to be kidding ...

unless i missed something, thr's prices beat every lfs i know of in the area on most things i looked at. filters, food, lighting ...

what are your examples flame? what did i miss?

- ted
Old 02/22/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

I hope they 'up' their customer service....the two times i ventured down to the old store, they just couldn't be bothered. Wrong move as both times i went to "more expensive" lfs's in Philly and gave too much of my hard earned $ to them. Since then, i realized their is no need for me to go to philly, which is a shame as their should be better 'quality' stores in such a large city - imo.
Lucky for me I live near SF

If they have decided to take care of their customers this time around(and not just their regulars) then i will try them again at their new store.
Either way, i'm glad a lfs bounced back from tragedy, as we need all we can get in PA as far as LFS's.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 02/22/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Good day to all!!!!

The thing I liked best about THR is/was Ziggy! The knowledge is WHY I always went there.

As with all stores, prices will vary, I know this. Some items can and will be higher/lower than other stores (at times).

I suppose I just don't like the comment on their website claiming to have opened due to the complaints of their customers paying higher prices elsewhere. When infact when I went to buy fish food... I TOO ended up paying more money there (at THR) than other LFS. It wasn't tons more... the bottom line IS... it WAS more!

How do I know this? I was curious and wanted to make sure I got the best deal... so I drove around to the other LFS.

As I mentioned in a previous post... I didn't look at all the prices of everything in their store... I only focused on what I was in need of.

NOWAY I'm believing that you all believe THR has the lowest prices around ON ALL ITEMS in their store. If you are saying that... you've either NOT searched, you're employees and/or friends of THR or just plan out hate the other LFS (for what ever reasons).

I will go back to all stores and make a detailed list and prices and will share them with you here.....
Old 02/22/2007, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronert
huh? what? you have got to be kidding ...

unless i missed something, thr's prices beat every lfs i know of in the area on most things i looked at. filters, food, lighting ...

what are your examples flame? what did i miss?

- ted

Apparently you weren't looking for flake food then.... as TFF was lower!

As stated... I am going to go back and make a list of items and compare and post them here.
Old 02/22/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bheron
i expected them to be a bit higher but when i finally went i was pleasantly surprised. looked the same or better as before. and not noticably higher than anywhere else.

i was amazed that i could buy a whole pack of frozen mysis cubes for under $4!!!! especially since i cant seem to find good frozen food anywhere i go!!! i am going back solely for that alone.

I just purchased Mysis cubes too (which brand did you buy)? I don't remember the price but I will check my receipt when I get home.
Old 02/22/2007, 12:01 PM
amateur zookeeper

You seriously posted a negative comment about THR because their price on flake food was too high? I'll take cheaper filters, vho light bulbs, and salt and pay extra for frozen mysis. The savings on salt alone is worth the trip.
Old 02/22/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marshall
You seriously posted a negative comment about THR because their price on flake food was too high? I'll take cheaper filters, vho light bulbs, and salt and pay extra for frozen mysis. The savings on salt alone is worth the trip.

Did you read ALL of my posts???? Or would you rather just pick apart my post? Flake food WASN'T the only thing I noticed. It was ONE of the items I noticed!

I'm certainly NOT here to argue with people. As I mentioned... I checked out a few LFS... THR being one of them... and found many of the items "I WAS IN NEED OF" higher than other stores.

IF it is you are finding the items "YOU ARE IN NEED OF" cheaper.. than thats wonderful! Congratulations!!!!
Old 02/22/2007, 07:38 PM
Moved On

Quote:

I'm certainly NOT here to argue with people.
Old 02/22/2007, 08:36 PM
amateur zookeeper

It was my fault, I should have kept quiet
Old 02/23/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Absinthe

Your response IS brilliant....

Slainte!
Old 02/23/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marshall
It was my fault, I should have kept quiet

You're entitled to your own opinion.... and can speak/post your thoughts... doesn't mean I or anybody else has to agree with it....
Old 02/23/2007, 07:22 PM
Moved On

Only 87 posts since october and more than a dozen in the last 3 days have been yammering negatives about THR or defending your yammering.

Im just extrapolating as any sensible person would.

I just say what others think.