Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids

Old 02/19/2006, 05:12 AM
Reefcast Fan

some very good points and interesting thoughts in this thread..
Old 02/24/2006, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

Its been 2months already since the start of the Research.Is there any new findings we can conclude from it?
Old 02/24/2006, 06:03 PM
No, I can't ID!

I second the request for updates!
Old 05/11/2006, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Just a bump. GREAT discussion! I love it guys. I hope everyone gets a chance to read and learn, i know i have.
Old 05/16/2006, 01:13 PM
Moved On

Wow! Awesome thread! I think Im going to start doing some research on this....Time to get the fragging started
Old 05/16/2006, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

1: Which is the best way to Make Zooanthids Spread Rapidly (Fastest)? I think water quality, lighting, and water movement

2: IS it True that Placing them High up nearning to the MH will promote fast growth as well as spreading? .....for the most part in my own experience, also the color will be more intense. Lower light tend to make the zoas stretch longer.

3: Does Feeding Zooanthids PROOVE accelerates Growth? I have not experience this. But since we feed the fish inside our tank we are feeding the Zoas indirectly.

4: Does Fragging helps to speeds up the growth rarte? Yes it does since it has more room to spread out and grow in different directions

5: Is it proven that Mild Current do help acclerate the growth over Weaker Current? yes, current is very important

6:What Other Conditions will help Quicken The growth rate of the Zooanthis.at a fast speed.. keeping it pest free.
Old 05/20/2006, 04:38 AM
Registered Member

hEy tmplge & ScotchMaster

Thanks guys for comenting on this thread,Great that it had been resourceful to u guys..

next

DO Start the research...

and if u find something abt the growth patterns of zoas, dont hesitate to let us know abt it
Old 05/20/2006, 04:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by northbay-reefer
1: Which is the best way to Make Zooanthids Spread Rapidly (Fastest)? I think water quality, lighting, and water movement

2: IS it True that Placing them High up nearning to the MH will promote fast growth as well as spreading? .....for the most part in my own experience, also the color will be more intense. Lower light tend to make the zoas stretch longer.

3: Does Feeding Zooanthids PROOVE accelerates Growth? I have not experience this. But since we feed the fish inside our tank we are feeding the Zoas indirectly.

4: Does Fragging helps to speeds up the growth rarte? Yes it does since it has more room to spread out and grow in different directions

5: Is it proven that Mild Current do help acclerate the growth over Weaker Current? yes, current is very important

6:What Other Conditions will help Quicken The growth rate of the Zooanthis.at a fast speed.. keeping it pest free.
Hey dude...Thats a awesome reply and fidings based on your experienced...

With this, i will try out if what proven to u works on me.

Thanks for the input
Old 05/20/2006, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

I cut another PPE polyp for a trade a week ago or so to test my theory. The last time I cut a single polyp, I had four polyps before cutting. Two weeks later, I had six polyps (put on three news on quickly after removing one). I had seven plus a nub (which is now open) when I cut the last one last weekend. I'm hoping to see the benefit I saw last time... These things started as four polyps over a year ago, if that gives any idea for how slow they are growing for me. My others grow very quickly, though...
Old 05/22/2006, 02:56 AM
Registered Member

This is one of the prooves we can conclude for the part which states: Fragging will increase growth rartes.
Old 05/26/2006, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

New findings,...

It is true to my findings that moderate flow of constant random current acting on the colony of zoothids will get them to spread faster over time.but over current might result in stress and causing them not to open.
Old 06/26/2006, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

this is a great thread...especially for someone starting a zoo dominated tank.

Giantbicyle...by constant random current, Do you mean powerheads on a wavemaker? "constant random" has me a bit confused. lol.

I have just increased the flow in my tank and added a wavemaker. Now I am trying to get the positioning of the new powerheads in the right spots. Seems like somespot they are to overpowering other might not be enough flow. anyway, I will be flowing along closely to this thread.
Old 06/28/2006, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

I bought a polyp rock with about a 100 polyps I dont know if they are zoos or palys but they are tan with green centers. They absolutely gorge themselves on frozen brine shrimp when i feed to the tank. After only one month they are multiplying and getting bigger.
Old 06/30/2006, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

This is a great thread!! Anybody with zoo tanks have any thoughts as to how different types of water flow effect growth/growth patterns? Linear or random (switching on/off powerheads) or powerheads that rotate (powersweep)? Does using wavemakers (Red Sea or whatever) increase growth/health?

Keep up the good discussion.
Old 07/02/2006, 12:44 AM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Alternating waterflow seems to have the most positive effect on all coral growth. Strong to weak, like a natural sea, ebb and flow.

Wavebox by Tunze is the best application I have ever seen to accomplish that. Now I just need to rob someone of theirs or come up with $500...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 07/03/2006, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

As you know most Zoas are found near the ocean surface, therefore changes in flow can only be beneficial to them in an aquarium.
Northbay-reefer, i agree with what you said. Almost all my zoas are at the top of my tank and are growing at an alarming rate. the only ones that i think prefer less light are blues.
I am testing a frag of 4 pink polyps. After 2 weeks it is at 8, we will see if this growth continues.
Old 07/03/2006, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Just some before and now pics

Before
Now after 1yr
Old 07/03/2006, 12:48 PM
Registered Member.

those orange rics are huge!
Old 07/04/2006, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

To get polyps to spread over a bare rock quickly, it would be best to place a few polyps every x distance from one another. This gives the polyps room to grow and they can grow in any direction they want (360*).

If polyps are bunched up together in a close group, only the outer ring will spread leaving the inner polyps to do nothing since the space is already taken up.

Each solo polyp can grow in any direction, 2 polyps together will only limit their growth to half of the area (ie; the polyp cant grow ontop of its neighbor).

When I started fragging (Some time in march), I noticed that my frag with dense heads didn't spread as much as the 4-5 polyps that i glued on seperately to rock. The head count was pretty close, but the area didn't get bigger with the dense frag.

As long as the tissue can spread over an area quickly, new polyps will eventually grow. I believe this is a propagation technique used by people. Place the frags infront of a powerhead, the polyps will close up but with the force of the current, their tissue will follow and slowly expand. Of course you can't enjoy the polyps, but they will grow extremely fast.
Old 07/10/2006, 08:18 AM
Zoanthid Connisseur

Bump for Vinny

Laurie

SWAM Rules! (SaltWater Addicts of Maine)
Old 07/19/2006, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jasert39
this is a great thread...especially for someone starting a zoo dominated tank.

Giantbicyle...by constant random current, Do you mean powerheads on a wavemaker? "constant random" has me a bit confused. lol.

I have just increased the flow in my tank and added a wavemaker. Now I am trying to get the positioning of the new powerheads in the right spots. Seems like somespot they are to overpowering other might not be enough flow. anyway, I will be flowing along closely to this thread.
Dude, as what i think , i observe that wave current will spread trhe zoa's but not very fast, instead, direct current will spread them fast.
Old 07/19/2006, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by silversnake
I bought a polyp rock with about a 100 polyps I dont know if they are zoos or palys but they are tan with green centers. They absolutely gorge themselves on frozen brine shrimp when i feed to the tank. After only one month they are multiplying and getting bigger.
I think they are palys which have rather bigger mouth as compared to the normal zoas.Palys generally have a much higher growth rate than small normal zoas.
Old 07/19/2006, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil121
This is a great thread!! Anybody with zoo tanks have any thoughts as to how different types of water flow effect growth/growth patterns? Linear or random (switching on/off powerheads) or powerheads that rotate (powersweep)? Does using wavemakers (Red Sea or whatever) increase growth/health?

Keep up the good discussion.
Yes , its true tat the zoas grow accroding to the current speading their tissues.yes, wave maker increases growth rates , but the speed which it is increasing is still unknown.

Hope to have a clue on growth accelerations.
Old 07/19/2006, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Beaut
As you know most Zoas are found near the ocean surface, therefore changes in flow can only be beneficial to them in an aquarium.
Northbay-reefer, i agree with what you said. Almost all my zoas are at the top of my tank and are growing at an alarming rate. the only ones that i think prefer less light are blues.
I am testing a frag of 4 pink polyps. After 2 weeks it is at 8, we will see if this growth continues.
continue updating it and watch it progressing.
Old 07/19/2006, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Re: Just some before and now pics

Quote:
Originally posted by The Beaut
Before
Now after 1yr
Thats some awesome growth