Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 05/25/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

I purchased a RC500 in October 2006 for my 400 gal system. It sits in a 14" sump (the skimmer is in 14" of water). I find it hard to adjust, the skim is either to dry or very wet - what do you guys think??
Old 05/26/2007, 06:26 PM
RC Sponsor

Thats a lot of water...
How many GPH do you have going through the skimmer right now?
The most beautiful thing that we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. -Albert Einstein
Old 05/27/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

I have an ASM G3 on a 90 with 70 gallon sump for about 100 gallon total. I have a chance to get a RS135. Would that be an upgrade from the G3. I find the G3 very hard to keep constant and have to mess with it on a daily basis.
Old 05/27/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys-

I have the RS135 and I ran it for a few days with RO/DI water when I was testing my plumbing.Today I turned it on and added my base rock and everything including my drain line foamed like crazy. The discharge pipe on the skimmer is blowing tons of bubbles back into my fuge. Something doesn't seem quite right. Here are some shots.

The discharge tube.

The collection cup.

The skimmer washing machine chamber.

I have the air tube turned down a little so the foam doesn't blow the top off the skimmer. The discharge is set to fully open. It is sitting in 8" of water wich is OK per the manual. The instructions are a little lacking on dialing it in.
Old 05/27/2007, 04:27 PM
RC Sponsor

rforrest: PM sent

Uncle Boo:

That DOES look like a washing machine! Your problem is not the skimmer. Its your water. This is a new tank, or at the least new plumbing. There are lots of chemicals and things that companies use in the production of their products. From my experiance I would say that it is one of two things...or both:

1: You have some kind of water conditioner, de-nitrator, or somthing like that in your water.

2: There are some kind of production residues in your system that are causing excess foaming.

Anyone else have any other ideas?
The most beautiful thing that we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. -Albert Einstein
Old 05/27/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

I too have seen extra foaming with changes in water/new equipment. When I get new filter bags my skimmer goes nuts and fills the cup within minutes. I turn the gate valve mod down overnight, things settle, and skim again as normal.
Old 05/27/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Im thinking of getting a Euroreef Skimmer. Which one is the best model for a 160g system. I dont want to spend more than $500.

I was looking at a RS180, is this more than enough for a 160g system?
Old 05/27/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

EuroReef Tec1- It must be the base rock I added to the tank today. I made this pillar with pvc and zip ties and didn't wash off the rock before I put it in the tank. I was afraid I'd never figure out how I had it if I took it apart. I had no idea base rock would put that much junk in the tank.

Another problem may be my flow through the sump. My pump is way oversized. I ordered another that has about 1/2 the flow I have now so I hope that will help with the bubble problem, not to be confused with the foam problem.

The water in the tank is RO/DI water and I ran everything for a few days with no problem till I put the base rock in.

About the skimmer, the air valve is used to bring the foam up or down inside the neck? What does turning the tube above the water outlet do? It looks like the water level is almost even with the locking coupler, there is a little brown water in the cup, but the foam is squeezing out around the collection lid now. I have the tube set to "open" and the air adjustment knob closed a little.

edit: I am getting slurping noises from the top of the adjustment pipe too.

Last edited by Uncle Boo; 05/27/2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05/27/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yamahaR1
Im thinking of getting a Euroreef Skimmer. Which one is the best model for a 160g system. I dont want to spend more than $500.

I was looking at a RS180, is this more than enough for a 160g system?
You can go bigger if you want. The RS250 is less than $500.
Old 05/27/2007, 11:28 PM
RC Sponsor

boo: The water in the pics is RO/DI??? Fresh water will not foam like that....
But you should adjust the water outlet to get the water level up, then fine tune the air valve to get the foam up. You have to work both of these to acheive a happy medium. By the way most people dont put the sticker on the collection cup. Pretty cool way to be different! =)...but really...if thats RO/DI water in that pic you have some water issues.

yamaha: the RS -180 would be fine, but if you have the room in your sump the 250 would alow for a heaver bio-load.

By the way...
Has having someone from Euro-Reef on boards been a help to you guys? Tell me what you think!
Old 05/27/2007, 11:35 PM
Generic Member

The RS250s are awesome simmers as long as the 30" height fits.
Old 05/28/2007, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

some shots of my new rc80 (well it's used but new to me)
this is 2 days of skim. my cs80 would have done this much in a week.
i LOVE EUROREEF!!

Old 05/28/2007, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

There was no foam for the first week I ran everything. The skimmer ran but didn't pull anything out since the system was clean. Then I added the base rock without washing some of it and "bam".....foam city.

I took the water exit pipe off so it's not exiting underwater and that seems to have helped. You can see it exiting here.

I have the water level higher in the body and it seems to be working better considering there is still some foam left in the sump.

Having someone on the board has been a great help!
Old 05/28/2007, 12:37 PM
RC Sponsor

Boo: The skimmer is causing the bubbles obviously, but there is definatly something in your water. I would do a few big water changes. And is that still RO/DI water?
Old 05/28/2007, 12:52 PM
El Jefe de WRS

I wish ER made a skimmer in the same class as the H&S A200 2x1260 or the Deltec 702/902. They go from 1x eheim 1262, to 3x1262. What about 2x1260? Thats a hot segment they are overlooking. The A200 2x1260 is a sweeet skimmer.
Old 05/28/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

It is RO/DI water with reef crystals, salinity 1.023. It has calmed down now that the base rock has been in there for 24hrs. The rock must have been dusty and I didn't clean it properly. Here is how it looks now.

The skimmer looks like it's doing the job. I think the upper bubbles are still mixing with a bit of foam so it should only get better.
Old 05/28/2007, 03:04 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
I wish ER made a skimmer in the same class as the H&S A200 2x1260 or the Deltec 702/902. They go from 1x eheim 1262, to 3x1262. What about 2x1260? Thats a hot segment they are overlooking. The A200 2x1260 is a sweeet skimmer.
The last time I spoke with Jeff, he said they were close to ready. They were working on the neck transitions or something.

Its going to be a 10" 2 eheim skimmer. Much like the A250 H&S. Should be a great unit.

I asked him why they didn't just do a similar model to the a200-2-1260 and he feels the the body and neck are too small for the 2 eheims when run on 60Hz.

Jim
Old 05/28/2007, 03:18 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
I hope ER does not nake a skimmer like the A200 2 x 1260. The 200mm body is too small for the 2x Eheim pumps. The A250 is a better design. I'd also like to see a 10" 2 Eheim ER skimmer.
Old 05/28/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

EuroReef Tec1:

I already uploaded some pics to my gallery. You can check them out.

Carlos Salas
Old 05/28/2007, 08:42 PM
RC Sponsor

nice tank. How long has it been running?
Old 05/29/2007, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

EuroReef Tec1:

7 years. My ES5-3 was bought last March 2006, so I could go with SPS's.

Carlos Salas
Old 05/29/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

RS250 footprint

ER Tec,

ER's website lists a footprint of 12" x 14". Does this spec include the pump? Or is the 12x14 number for the skimmer body only?
Old 05/29/2007, 11:15 AM
RC Sponsor

Tbone: Yes the pump is included in that measurement.
Old 05/29/2007, 11:50 AM
AEFW Assasinator

Has anyone experienced this:

I have an ER 8-2, purchased some years ago as a blem. It worked well for a year or so, and then started leaking at the neck. Since they were small leaks I thought it might be the o-ring, and decided to let it go for awhile as it didn't seem to affect the performance very much.

A few months ago I purchased a new o-ring thinking that it might fix the leak - it didn't. It just doesn't leak as much. It seems to leak between the collar and cup.
Old 05/29/2007, 12:06 PM
RC Sponsor

raddogz: PM sent