Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids

Old 10/21/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

What is the Nudibranch do to the Zoos? Thanks,
Old 10/22/2007, 05:30 AM
green Diplo bluemouths

Nudibranchs say ding ding ding, its dinnertime. Munch munch. And dont stop till the house is clear of zoo's.
Old 11/02/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Yeah my tank i quite infested. I had colonies of 30 zoo's and they have been reduced to about 3-4 zoo's left to a rock. doing anything I can to desimate my infestation...
Old 11/04/2007, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

how big do the nudibranch get. If they are what I think they are, my lfs had a nudi in their reef tank along with a lot of zoa's. smart huh.
Old 11/04/2007, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremyj0247
how big do the nudibranch get. If they are what I think they are, my lfs had a nudi in their reef tank along with a lot of zoa's. smart huh.
Most of the ones I've seen are between a 1/8" and a 1/4".
Old 11/04/2007, 12:25 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

You guys need to start experimenting with the potassium permagenate. Like they are on the sps board.
Old 11/20/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Are these the same nudi's that are found on sps? The reason i ask is that I have both zoos, palys and sps in my tank and I just noticed these guys in my tank this morning. The only place that i have seen them is in the section of my tank that has the zoos and palys but none on the sps. I have also found some eggs on the zoos and palys. Will they lay their eggs any where else but the actual coral?
Old 11/21/2007, 06:55 AM
green Diplo bluemouths

Yours look different then ours. Yours are green. OUrs are off white and look like a mop head. Old yarn mop head that is. But im sure they die the same way.
Old 11/23/2007, 12:41 PM
------------

Here's another pic.

What I am assuming are nudi eggs are visible on the left side polyp. The potential mother is also in the pic.
Old 11/27/2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

c.rob...i have had the same problem, it is because these nudi's are hard to see..they blend very well with the rock and zoa's. best time to see them is 15 min. after the light go out...turn the lights back on when all of the zoa's are closed and you will see the nudi's then snacking n your polyps.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

I use a turkey baster to push water over the polyps so they close and then use a flashlight and magnifying glass to look for the eggs.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up EGGS

There are some good pic's posted here. They always make for a good discussion don't they. My 2 cents, I would never knowingly buy something infested even for my QT tank. No matter how pretty or cheap!!Great thread!
Old 12/25/2007, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

Good luck
Old 01/06/2008, 07:09 PM
Actiniaria Addict

I've used potassium permanganate on zoa-eating nudi's with success in killing eggs and nudi's without killing any zoas. PM me for a link to the write-ups if anyone is interested.

-Sonja
Old 01/07/2008, 04:07 AM
Registered Member

You can pick up potasium permanganate at places that cary Jungle products. It's labled for fresh water as "Clear Water". I have a friend that had been having nudi problems for a while. He started using a diluted dip of "Clear water" on his colonies and has mostly exterminated them all. I have seen 2oz bottles of this stuff at Walmart and 4 and 8 oz bottles at petco/petsmart. It's also good for a quick ORP increase. 5ml will raise the orp about 50mv in a 225gal reef in my experiance. So far in the 15 years that I've been using this stuff I have never seen lasting ill effects in any aquatic environment. Xenia shrivel up abit but come back after an hour or so.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

seems like i have managed to get some into my tank. may have hitchhiked on the new zoo rock i got. they seem to be confined to the 1 rock, managed to pick a few of them off last night with a light shining on them to see them. but im still left with a few polpys that have eggs on them.

think it would be safe to just cut the affected polpys off and leave the frag in qt to see if any others hatch?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:47 AM
Actiniaria Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Legacy2005
seems like i have managed to get some into my tank. may have hitchhiked on the new zoo rock i got. they seem to be confined to the 1 rock, managed to pick a few of them off last night with a light shining on them to see them. but im still left with a few polpys that have eggs on them.

think it would be safe to just cut the affected polpys off and leave the frag in qt to see if any others hatch?
I would do this, yes. Were the new zoas in your display tank at all, or did you just have them in QT?

-Sonja
Old 01/09/2008, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

unfotunately they were in the main tank. which means they managed to get onto the other zoos i had in there.. only good thing is that i only had 4 frags in there since i just started stocking the tank. ive pulled all of them out and qted them so any left that i didnt get should starve with no other zoos to eat.

i didnt qt them since i had got them from a store that i had trusted to have clean items since they deal in SW fish/coral items only. but ive learned no matter where they come from to qt them..lol

if it gets to bad im only out $30 if they get eatten.

Old 01/09/2008, 05:26 PM
Actiniaria Addict

From a related experiment, I observed that it takes about 90 days for these nudibranchs to starve from lack of zoanthids to eat, so you may want to keep all zoas out of your display til then. The better news is, every nudibranch egg case I observed hatched in 9 days, almost to the hour, so that after nine days you can start to watch and siphon out any that show up in the display and hopefully break the cycle a bit faster. If you FW/RO dip the frags you took out, 8-10 minutes of that kills the nudi's and then you need only watch for any eggs that hatch later. Good luck and please do let us know how it goes.

And yes, QT always, every coral, fish, LR, macroalgae, etc. I was lucky to catch the nudi's in QT and be able to deal with them there, but it was enough of a scare to convince me that QT is absolutely required, every time.

-Sonja
Old 01/09/2008, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

trust me ive learned my lesson, the reason i didnt was that another member has been buying from them for a few years and never had a problem, 3 frags in and i get wacked.

i did the fw dip for 3 mins, the corals didnt seem to like it much which is why i pulled them out early(lots of mucus, shrivled up). one of them went from nice tall brown stalks to a shrivled clump that can bearly pass for a coral.

will the nudibranchs only stay on the zoos or will they wander around on the sand/rock? that way i know what i should be looking for. would it be wise to close the tap to the refugium side of my sump or will they not be able to live/reproduce with out any coral to feed on?
Old 01/10/2008, 03:36 PM
Actiniaria Addict

These particular nudi's only eat zoas but they will wander around the tank, and lay eggs everywhere and not just on zoa polyps. I wouldn't close off the fuge though, for the stability of your system.

Yes, FW/RO dip will make zoas mad but I've left them in FW for up to 30 minutes and they've always recovered in a day or so. YMMV and all that but until I timed how long it took the nudi's to die in FW that was my standard time for FW dip.

-Sonja
Old 01/11/2008, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosseau
Here's another pic.

What I am assuming are nudi eggs are visible on the left side polyp. The potential mother is also in the pic.
that is the best pic i ave seen of the little buggers and combined with there eggs great shot...the questionable one looks like it is just a small nudi...but it could also be a miniforamin (sp) you will find them on zoaid...

also for those who cant see what is eating or destroying your zoas...do a FW dip and see what happens....if nothing falls off then you may have a worm that is doing the damage...also closely inspect the colony after..as the spiders will not let go under the FW dip.. lift any loose piece of polyp mat to look under it as this is where nasty things tend to hide...