Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 03:33 AM
Reefaholic

Chiller plumbing....Has anyone done this?

I'm setting up a new 90G tank and i'm trying to keep it as simple and clean as possible. It will be open top and frameless/braceless so i don't want any plumbing going over the back of the tank. The return is currently plumbed to go through the bottom of the center overflow via a 1" bulkhead which will then split into 2 3/4" loclines going through the overflow walls. For my chiller (a JBJ 1/3HP) i was thinking of plumbing this one of 3 ways. In keeping with the simple approach, i only want to utilize 1 return pump which will be a panworld (100px-x) pump.

Option 1 would be to gravity feed the chiller with water directly from the overflow/drain. However, i'm not sure if i will be able to get enough flow through the chiller since the chiller adds some backpressure and depending on the amount of headloss, it may not work since the stand itself is only 3 feet tall which may not give me enough pressure to meet the chiller supply demands.

Option 2 would be to tee the return pump, have it go through the chiller and return back to the sump. This is the least effective way IMO since i will likely be re-chilling water that just passed through the chiller. This might cause the chiller to cycle on/off more often as well.

Option 3 would be to tee immediately off the return pump, have it go through the chiller, and then re-tee the chiller output back into the return line at the point just before it makes it back through the loclines and into the tank.

What i'm specifically looking for is has anyone ever tried Option 3 and has it worked? Or any opinion on which option you guys would recommend in keeping with the simple approach?