Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods

Old 07/12/2006, 02:18 AM
TRC Leader

Fini,

[welcome]
Old 07/16/2006, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Wow some of THE best pictures ive ever seen here on RC. I dont know how old your octopus is but the longest lifespan you can hope for is 1-2 years from what ive read. It looks very healthy and seems to be thriving so hopefully it will live as long as possible. I dont keep octopi (pl.?) but i love cephalopods and these pics are amazing. If only you could breed him/her, it would be the icing on the cake.
Old 07/20/2006, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

That is WAY COOL!

Great shots, good luck keeping him/her. I'm betting you are running low on snails and hermits about now...
Old 07/20/2006, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

I'm very intersted to know how you took such wonderful photos - what camera, lighting, anything other tips..

Thanks, from all of us
Old 07/22/2006, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Man he has some awesome colors, great creatures.
Old 07/22/2006, 07:51 PM
VILP

Any updates? How is your wonderful little hitchhiker doing?
Old 07/25/2006, 07:05 PM
my member is registered.

yeah we would love a update!.
Old 07/25/2006, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Thanks to everyone, sorry been busy hooking up my "auto top off" and making sure everything works before I go on vacation. A lot of back and forth here and there you guys know what I mean. Anyways, my Octopus is just doing fine, healthy and being adventurous, he moved into my Frag/Refuge tank!!, I was so surprised to see the little guy waving at me when I was in the maintenance room, I can tell from his expressions - "I'm over here.. feed me, feed me.." it just looked so hilarious to me, what a smart creature. Actually, this is a good thing, that he moved, this gives me a chance to completely isolate him and able to completely cover the tank. I had to figure out a way of feeding him when go on vacation, that means live food that will last for a couple of weeks, so I experimented by placing "Manila Clams" from a grocery supermarket and he loved it. When I dropped them in the tank he came out being curious and started juggling them. He learned quickly how to opened. Also, this guy is a picky eater as well, he does not like the same food all the time. He'll the same food only for a couple of days, after that he wants something different. So, I have to leave him a variety when I'm gone, on the menu lists are: Manila Clams, Turbo Snails, Chromis, and Ghost Shrimps on the day I leave. Yeah, this guy is a happy camper for sure, i'm doing my best to make him live as long as possible, sadly that will probably only be a more months left and the only Octopus experience I'll ever have.
Old 07/25/2006, 10:17 PM
Tailspot Blenny

i'd recommend a tank sitter as well. you never know =/
Old 07/25/2006, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

What a friendly little hitchhiker!

Yes, please have someone look in on him while you're gone. Can you leave him any liive crabs? Even fiddlers will stay alive for a couple of weeks.

Nancy
Old 07/26/2006, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Wow what an amazing find! I am glad he ended up in a larger tank! Imagine someone with a nano ending up with that guy.
Old 07/26/2006, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

very cool
Old 07/27/2006, 09:22 AM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by Kinetic
i'd recommend a tank sitter as well. you never know =/
If you have any local marine club members, I'm sure someone would be willing to help out in this regard. Since these fellows are short lived and you never know.... you surely would not want to take the chance of him picking while you were gone and fouling the water enough so that everything else is also wiped out.

If you aren't sure if there is a marine club anywhere near you, let me know where you live and I'll check MASNA's club database.
Old 07/29/2006, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Incredible hitchhiker and amazing photos!!
Definitely has my vote for thread of the month. From the brief glances you gave of us the tank, it looks like a candidate for tank of the month as well.
Please , when you get back from vacation, post some new pics of the octo and some full tank pics if you could. Would love to see them.
Old 07/30/2006, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

wow, thats amazing. seems very happy.

also more pics of the tank and octo please. would love to see more
Old 07/30/2006, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

ULTRA SUPER COOL!

Amazing photos! Your heart must have been racing the night you discovered your beaked friend - gorgeous octopus; I challenge anyone to have a better hitchhiker story!

Oh yeah, more pics now...
Old 07/30/2006, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

this is amazing

you got my vote
Old 07/30/2006, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Again, awesome! Gorgeous pics to boot...I love the first few night shots - the glowing blue freckles are simply amazing...are these available for purchase?
Old 07/30/2006, 07:06 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

That's too cool. Diving I've been fairly lucky seeing Octopi on a regular basis. One was very curiuos & followed me down the reef - drift dive. I haven't been brave enough to put my hand out to allow one to touch me
They are very curiuos
Old 07/30/2006, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

WOW, thats amazing!!!! I want one!!!!
Old 07/30/2006, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Those are some awesome pictures! Make sure you have a good lid on your tank. My uncle had an octopus (the kind that imitates other animals to escape predators), but it pushed up the lid, jumped out, and ended up on the bathroom floor. His wife went into the bathroom in the middle of the night and ran out screaming after stepping in a "pile of goo". It would be a shame for such a cool creature to end up on the floor.
Old 07/31/2006, 10:09 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Wow is right!! Congrats on such an incredible find!!!
Old 07/31/2006, 01:49 PM
Keeper of Tangs

that is truly a gorgeous specimen!
Old 07/31/2006, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

amazing find! i absolutely love it

i found a young octopus on the beaches in FL one time, we caught it and moved it to a safer area but it was amazing to see it up close and personal.. if they werent so difficult to keep in captivity i would love to have one

im happy tosee you tryign to keep it alive as long as possible and thats amazing it has become such a puppy-like member of your tank
Old 07/31/2006, 07:14 PM
SPS Freak

Definetly cool. I had an octopus in my 44 gallon a few years ago. It was a hitchhiker off TBS rock from Florida. It was pretty small but when I went to take it to a friend's predator tank, it didn't make it. I've read they don't take stress very well. Either way, good luck with it. They are definetly cool creatures.