Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 12/12/2007, 08:07 AM
Official Bear of the Reef

Any Environmental or Nuclear Engineers in the Lounge?

I'm interested in being an environmental or nuclear engineer. Basically, I want to work with nuclear energy and develop ways of recycling nuclear waste. Is there anyone in the Lounge who can give me any words of wisdom concerning either of these two careers?
Old 12/12/2007, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

All the environmental engineers I know do Civil type work mostly with wastewater treatment and wetlands

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/12/2007, 10:00 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

No but last week I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:11 PM
Garbologist

Re: Any Environmental or Nuclear Engineers in the Lounge?

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Aquarist
I'm interested in being an environmental or nuclear engineer. Basically, I want to work with nuclear energy and develop ways of recycling nuclear waste. Is there anyone in the Lounge who can give me any words of wisdom concerning either of these two careers?
If you go the nuclear route wear gloves. HTH

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 12/12/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

If you want to go that route, get a Mechanical Engineering degree with a special emphasis on Nuclear Energy. DO NOT get a degree in Nuclear Engineering, engineering specialties are not as good as their more general counterparts. However, unless you're going into Quantum physics, no one is going to hire you to do nuclear R&D.

So to paraphrase, Mech. Engr. degree is a good pragmatic way to get into the nuclear industry. But a PhD in quantum mechanics/physics will be required to get you into a R&D position.

Personally, I would pursue other fields of interest.

-Samuel Clemens
Old 12/12/2007, 06:22 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

I've done quite a bit of clean up on nuclear contamination sites and know a good bit about both fields.

The most viable route for a nuclear engineer these days is to get your degree then go into the Navy. This would be more of a reactor operations or rad safety track. The vast majority of people working in the private sector in this field are former Navy nukes.

The problem with nuclear engineers is that we're really not doing that much in the way of design or research. In the 1970's and 1980's, we were doing scads of it but it has really slowed down. There aren't many people out there doing it and there are even less job opening. A research position would almost certainly have to come as faculty at a major university or as an employee at one of the national laboratories.

On the specific subject of recycling nuclear waste, it depends on which waste streams you are talking about as to whether or not there is any work at all. Any work that is done in this field is done through Federal funding as it is just too expensive and riskey (from a proffit making perspective) for a private company to undertake such research. Again, you're talking national labs and universities.
Old 12/12/2007, 06:25 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Is there anyone in the Lounge who can give me any words of wisdom
Wear lead underwear.

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 12/12/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is there anyone in the Lounge who can give me any words of wisdom concerning either of these two careers?
He's a troll, right? No one would ask this in the lounge.

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 12/12/2007, 07:12 PM
That's Mind Bottling !

My EX is a Nuke E. from K-State University ! She was approached by the CIA to work on the Nuke Sub program but turned it down. I do know that one of her main 'issues' with being a Nuke Eng. is that this country will NEVER embrace nuclear power so the positions and opps for advancement are quite limited !

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 12/12/2007, 07:47 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

No, but I did sleep in a Hotel 6 last nite
And I watch Homer faithfully so I could swing the job
Old 12/12/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

don't get cancer

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears

Rehab is for quitters.

I like the smell of a particularly ripe fart (only if it is mine).~BrianD
Old 12/12/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

my step dad is a nucular engineer, worked his way up for years. started out at the nucular power plant as a janitor. they send him to schhool at theyre facility for awhile, bump him up to a better position. I bet hes been there 15 years now. hes pretty high up there now.

but i agree he doesent seem like a real happy love his job kinda person. he cant wait to retire.

He had a few beers when he came home from work one day around 6-8 we'll say. buzz, not wasted. the next afternoon he had another random drug test (many of them weekly) and he had like .1 alcohol in his system, they freaked out! paid vacation for a few weeks, counceling ect.

imagine if you got in real trouble.

when the countrys on basicly any alert at all the entire plant gets surround by guys with giant guns and its like going into a prison trying to geet into work. (if u forget your id, you go home and get it!!)

but hey... pays real good....

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 12/13/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Don't even get me started on nuclear security.

-Samuel Clemens
Old 12/13/2007, 01:02 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

dont let the 2 bars touch.

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 12/13/2007, 05:32 PM
Always a Buckeye

Quote:
He had a few beers when he came home from work one day around 6-8 we'll say. buzz, not wasted. the next afternoon he had another random drug test (many of them weekly) and he had like .1 alcohol in his system, they freaked out! paid vacation for a few weeks, counceling ect.
Holy crap I hope they were freaked out if he had .1 alcohol in his system. That is legally drunk.

If you really want to do it I second the Mech. Eng specializing in nuclear engineering route. If anything you always have the ME degree to fall back on, and the world will always need us

I would love to see nuclear energy take off in this country, but I don't see it happening in the next 20 years.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

buckeye... .001 maybe?

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 12/14/2007, 12:08 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by TOURKID

imagine if you got in real trouble.
In order to have that HIGH of an alcohol level he'd have to be drinking AT WORK
In MA .08 is the legal limit for driving

.001 I would think is still high 12+ hours later?