Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

RIP, my clownfish.

My tomato clow's life ended miserably. As some of you might know, I'm about to go reef. I'm getting my lights (Aquactinics TX5) next week. I've had my tomato for about 5 years. He was about 4 inches long. The only life he ever attacked was mine. He got along fine with my 2 recently added cardinals. In the past, he has harrassed a fish or two, but never nipped. Just territorial and a bit selfish at feeding time. He sometimes spent as much time chasing other fish away from food, as he did getting his own.

If my hand went into that tank, he immediately started to hit it, and nip hard he did. What bothered me most was his habit of clearing off sand or CC substrate to make himself a home. More than one piece of LR went down as a result of his incessant excavations.

After much deliberation, I decided he must go. Having a reeftank will require that the bottom stay somewhat undisturbed except maybe for cleanup crews and a sandsifting fish or two of my choice.

I called the LFS I trust and told him the situation, my reason why, and if he'd take him and perhaps give me some store credit for something. He readily agreed. "Come on in," he said. The clown went into a nice gallon zip-top bag, that in turn went into a plastic grocery bag to shield him from light, and away we went.

No sooner was I 200 yards from the hiway did an oncoming SUV jump the median, barrelling right towards me. I had ZERO time to react. I hit my brakes and tried to veer, but it was so quick, I don't think I slowed down a bit from 54 mph. I hit him head on, so hard I turned his vehicle upside-down, totaling both vehicles in the process. Here's my dearly departed almost paid for F-150.

His vehicle didn't fare so well. The other man had some major head lacerations, but I think he'll pull through.

My seatbelt saved my life but that poor tomato clown's bag exploded as hard as my airbag did on impact. What a helpless feeling, seeing him flopping on the wet floorboard amidst the broken glass and my tools from the back seat.

Just a word to you nice reefers out there. I hope you wear your seatbelt. I put mine on maybe 90% of the time, but I'll be putting on 100% for here on in. I got away with a nasty welt to the collarbone area from where the seatbelt held me back. However, I walked away.

I'll be purchasing a pair of tank-raised small percs. I think they're beautiful. They'll be small for starters.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

well thats a sad story with a happy ending for you and the other person at least
glad to see you are okay and you were wearing your seatbelt they really do save lives i am a 100% timer also

i have always wondered abotu transporting fish and corals and gettting into a accident what would happen
i think i would be scooping water off the floor

hope you can get a replacement vehicle soon and heal fast
Old 12/21/2007, 09:19 PM
forever newbie

I am sorry to hear about your ordeal. Glad you had your seatbelt on though. We got rearended by a fully loaded semi and the only damage was the welt on my chest left from a seatbelt. My son's s-10 was totaled though.

Poor,poor fishy.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:07 PM
2008 is going to be great

Thank you for wearing your seatbelt and not becoming another statistic. Although we always hate to see fish have an untimely death. Thank goodness it wasn't your untimely death.
I bet you were freaked out!
Old 12/21/2007, 10:32 PM
Simply Complicated

While I am sad for the loss of your fish and I glad you are still here with us. I had a sealbelt save my life when I was 16. Needless to say I never ride without one.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:37 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Glad you are OK. That truck is messed up. I got hit head on driving a Nissan pickup doing 65 or so. I didn't come out of it quite as well as you but of course the Nissan didn't have the airbag or leg room your truck did.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I feel about 100%.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:24 AM
On "The List"

glad you're ok & walked away with as little bodily damage as you did

I am just starting to wear seatbelts on a more regular basis, I guess I'm the exception to the rule

in 1976 my best friend ALWAYS wore his seat belt (who wore belts back then?) I watchd him burn to death in a car accident when he couldn't undo his belt & I couldn't reach thru the flames with a knife to cut him free

to this day the sound of a seatbelt clicking brings that image to mind in a very vivid horrific manner

1994 I walked out of a 65mph head on (me in a dodge diesel, the drunk that passed out & veered into oncoming traffic in a nissan pickup)
I walked away with sore shoulders & neck for a few days
I bent the steering wheel & steering collumn & folded the brake pedal under when it hit the stop, no steering wheel in the chest, no face in the windshield
I don't think head-ons with out a belt on are supposed to end that way

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/23/2007, 12:15 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Just for the record my wreck driving the Nissan was in 2000 and I wasn't drinking

Gads man, I really figured you would be feeling that wreck after a couple days. You were very lucky. Even with an airbag and seatbelt thats a hell of a shock to your body. Early Christmas gift I guess
Old 12/23/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Early Christmas gift I guess [/B]
I'll agree with that.