Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 03:35 AM
Tailspot Blenny

Which Generator?

With the storm and all the power outage talk, I'm wondering what watt rating generator we would need to power ~150watt heater and a powerhead?

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensup.asp

Would the 1000i be enough?

How about the automatic transfer switch? Where can I find one that would work with the generator? This is the one Norman spoke of:
http://www.smps.us/transferswitch.html
Old 01/05/2008, 03:48 AM
Ugly fishes need love too

That was just for generic example

Dunno what's available for homes, but that's how we're set up at work.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:59 AM
Premium Member

I think I am also going to get the Honda generator. I love Honda products (own three cars made by Honda, LOL!) and I've read good things about their generators. It's time to bite the bullet. Anyone know who sells them at a great price?
Old 01/07/2008, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Other than quiet what other benefit that Honda offer that other brands can't?? Honda is so expensive over $700 for a 1000W unit. Costco has a 3-5K unit for about the same price .

I love honda auto too ..
Old 01/07/2008, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Honda lasts longer and is MUCh quieter tehn anything else.

Get the EU1000i if your looking for a 1000w unit.

I'm getting the EU2000i with the extra can kit to bring up the reserve to closer to 30 hours.

Sang, there is a thread in the SOCAL forum with an ongoing GB price IIRC.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:27 PM
Tailspot Blenny

what exactly does the wattage value mean? the maximum number of watts it can produce at one time?
Old 01/07/2008, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Usually just PEAK. Buy one that can handle your needed load at 1/2 to 3/4 of it's rated load. Start up values are almost always higher then runuing values.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

I've got a Coleman 4000watt that I had converted to run on propane with a $200.00 kit. It now runs on a standard gas grill propane tank. The wattage easily runs my lights (about 1400 watts), and all of my pumps (Main pump + tunze Wavebox). I have a dedicated outlet in my aquarium room that is fed by the generator which I have stored in my external garage. If you are looking at transfer switches, they can be fairly expensive and normally have to be installed before the main breaker panel by a qualified electrician. In my case, When Power goes out, I simply go to my garage, hookup the gas grill tank, give a little squirt of propane with the button on the propane conversion, and pull the starter. Usually fires up in one pull.

I owned the generator for several years and only used it a time or two. The reason that I had it converted to propane is because gasoline is hard to store, and when I really needed the generator, I had to open up the carb. and inject some starter fluid to get the generator going. The carborator seemed to get gummed up due to the long storage and infrequent use. Propane has worked out much better. The only problem with propane is that it has less btu's. My 4000 watt generator is now about a 3400 watt, but the generator runs cooler, and is much easier to start in emergencies.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Costco has one $200 off right now ($799) I believe you can pick it up at their stores.

5000 Running Watts, 5500 Peak Watts

For something that is not used all the time I wouldn't care if it was Honda or noises.. unlike lawnmowers, pressure washers etc...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1
Old 01/07/2008, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Also this one I don't know if that's a good price or not $399
that is enough to keep my reef running and then some.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1
Old 01/07/2008, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Besides being ridiculously quiet, the best advantage of the Honda is that the new versions have clean Sine Wave power output. This type of electricity is the same as your house.

All other generators have modified sine or square sine wave. So powering some electronic devices like a plasma tv or other higher end electronic device is not possible. Also certain types of pumps won't run without the clean sine or they'll be much louder if they do.

It's important to know that only the ones with the "i" at the end of their model name have the built in inverter with the clean output. Those are the EU1000i, EU2000i or EU3000i

Last edited by corndogg; 01/07/2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Most of the good generators operate with "brushless" generator components. The "brushless" design allows the generator to turn and not cause arcing for each revolution. If the generator is not brushless, it can cause a small momentary voltage spike (which can destroy sensitive electronic equipment) during each revolution of the generator. Depending on the RPM and loading of the generator, this can h can occur many thousand times per second. Even if you get the best generator, I would suggest a good quality surge/spike protector feeding power to any of your equipment.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

I couldn't find the link, Gresham. Any idea where it's at?
Old 01/07/2008, 03:05 PM
My tank is too full

I have an older Honda EX1000. I just let another reefer use it during the outage and he ran two heaters, a tunze 6000 and his TV off of it.

To thine own self be true
Old 01/07/2008, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

dhodorow, how long can you run it off the standard propane tank vs. how long it used to run on a full tank of gas?

I'm also wondering about exhaust, especially with the Honda models in this thread. If you don't have the transfer switch or any other fancy wiring, do folks just put the generator outside somewhere and then run an extension cord back to the tank?
Old 01/07/2008, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

My generator will easily run 24 hours with the load that I have on it. The lights only run for about 10 hours anyway, so that helps. As for placing it outside, this is what I originally did. Then I moved it into my garage and leave the garage door open while it is running. Over the summer, I had a line run to my 500 gal. inground propane tank that supplies propane to the furnace in my house. I bought the connectors to have it T'd into the main line, but still have to buy a regulator to reduce the pressure from the large tank so that the propange conversion kit on the generator will accept it, then I will no longer have to use propane grill tanks. I'm thinking about buying a transfer switch so that I could run anything in the house (Load respective of course and selectively), but haven't shelled out the cash to make that happen.

If you are going to just place yours outside, I would suggest going to lowes and buying some standard 12/2 or 10/2 electric cable with ground. Buy a standard metal electrical box, an outlet, a cover plate, metal wire gromets for the box, and a male plug for the end that will plug into the generator. If you buy an extension cord, make sure that it is rated for the current. Most electrical cords don't have thick enough wire to handle the load and there may be a voltage drop due to the length of wire.

Hope this helps
Old 01/07/2008, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Oops. Forgot to tell you that it would probably run 8 hours or so off of a tank of gasoline. I think that the tank held 3 gals of fuel. Since the conversion, the tank has been completely removed.
Old 01/07/2008, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

Great info, thanks.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

I've had a honda generator since 2000--pre "eco-throttle". I've got gas preservative in the tank and it starts up every time, no problems. Not too noisy which is important if all your neighbors are cold and sitting in the dark especially in the middle of the night. The only suggestion I might make is when considering what size to buy, although it is great to be able to run your house appliance, tv, etc. the higher capacity generators burn up more gas to run than a small generator that is just enough to run your heater and a pump. So when I am ready to go to bed and the tank is only drawing minimum power, my generator is going full blast ready to run at full load and burning lots gas. It only runs for six hours before needing more gas. If I were to buy another generator I would get one just big enough to run a heater and pumps and get one with eco-throttle capability. Tank can be dark for a few days but I probably wouldn't have to run out for more gas.

ps. not sure if the eco-throttle works the same as my generator but mine is load dependent also but it is either in slow absolutely no load or fast load mode. Nothing for minimal load so running a powerhead, the gas would be used up as if it were running on max.

Last edited by mobert; 01/07/2008 at 06:12 PM.