Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 04/16/2004, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Be prepared for some noise from that Iwaki 100, both pump fan noise and water movement noise.
The tanks really not overly loud even with the Iwaki and two other external pumps under the stand.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.
Old 04/16/2004, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Glad to hear that. I guess noise is really up to the individual. The Iwaki 70 is the loudest thing on my whole system, at least that is what I thought until I hooked up a fan for room air circulation. My tank is in-wall so it wasn't a big deal with any of it.

Any pics with lights yet?
Old 04/16/2004, 06:54 PM
10 & Over Club

You know something? I've got a Iwaki100, a Iwaki70, and a Iwaki55 running in mine and I don't hear a thing.

I'm deaf.
Old 04/16/2004, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

There's a little bit of that "dish washer" sound to your tank Bomber, but it's not bad at all.

Do we want more pics over the weekend, or shall I save them for next week?

I'd say we're getting close to being half done.

Old 04/16/2004, 07:21 PM
Leopard in training

Wow, that's an amazing set up! Can't wait for the rest of the pics!
Old 04/16/2004, 07:32 PM
O|||||||O

Quote:
Originally posted by gregt

Do we want more pics over the weekend, or shall I save them for next week?
I'd say we're getting close to being half done.
more, more......
I love it.....and you're giving me ideas!!! Don't know if thats good or bad.

To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Old 04/16/2004, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarasco1
Wow, that's an amazing set up! Can't wait for the rest of the pics!

Old 04/16/2004, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkwudzjeep
more, more......
I love it.....and you're giving me ideas!!! Don't know if thats good or bad.
Hehe. Ideas are always good.

Did you make the meeting last week? I have trouble putting faces to RC nicks...

Old 04/17/2004, 08:34 AM
Wire Doc

Great job greg, i cant wait to see it with rock and corals.

Now comes the fun part, plumbing.
Old 04/17/2004, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

Ok, now on to the plumbing. Keep in mind that a lot of this was changed as the project progressed. This plumbing was mostly a test run to see how my design was going to pan out. Some things have changed quite a bit, some are exactly the same.

I decided not to drill the sump even though it would be easy enough to do. Instead, I dropped a 2" 'hook' over the top to feed the pump. The 1" plumbing goes through a 1.5" wye which splits the flow to either side of the tank.

These returns are now running the length of the tank and shooting back towards the overflow instead of how they are pictured here.

Here are the 2" drain pipes. You can see that I have the other two holes plugged at this point. I'm now using one more of the holes, but we'll get to that later. I chose the rubber hose clamp unions instead of the fancy ones because there isn't much room in there. They work fine. I do butt the pipes right against each other in the union so that there is minimal water contact with the rubber. I will probably replace them now that I'm fairly certain I'm not going to change my design any more.

Old 04/17/2004, 08:43 AM
Wire Doc

sweet. Hey your cheating with the rubber coupling , get rid of it or you will never get the TOTM award.
Old 04/17/2004, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

Good Morning Tony.

I was busy finding the plumbing pics just as you posted.

Old 04/17/2004, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crescent1
sweet. Hey your cheating with the rubber coupling , get rid of it or you will never get the TOTM award.
ROTFL

Old 04/17/2004, 08:48 AM
Wire Doc

will you use a check valve on the return lines, or just drill some holes to break the syphon if you lose power.

What about a generator.
Old 04/17/2004, 08:56 AM
Wire Doc

Greg, with such a well thought out system, tank design, plumbing, carpentry, what about the electrical.
Old 04/17/2004, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
will you use a check valve on the return lines, or just drill some holes to break the syphon if you lose power.

What about a generator.
There is a check valve on the return lines now. You'll see that when I get to the more recent plumbing pictures.

I don't have a generator. Except in case of a direct hit by a hurricane (in which case the tank is the least of my worries), we really don't loose power very often, and when we do it's not for very long. The longest outage I've experienced since moving to Tampa 11 years ago) was about 3 hours. Also, with no DSB and a light load, the tank can go for a week without power with no major losses. I do have some battery operated air stones as well.

Old 04/17/2004, 10:43 AM
Wire Doc

thats good news greg, you guys dont lose power often.

I wish i could say the same in my area of the country. the wind blows and i lose power, so i had to get a generator, i just cant see investing time and money and precious livestock in my case , and not having a backup plan for power loss.
Old 04/17/2004, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Greg, with such a well thought out system, tank design, plumbing, carpentry, what about the electrical.
Ow. This is one I screwed up good. I made a faulty assumption right up front that led to an interesting debacle.

The wet room is on the corner of two walls of the great room. I went on memory that the two outlets already on those two walls were on different circuits. So, I figured I'd be ok with two 20 amp circuits, no problem.

Well, it turns out that my memory isn't very good, and that not only were both outlets on the same circuit, so was the rest of the great room.

So, right about the time the last set of pictures was taken (plumbing had already started) I realized this problem and needed to fix it.

The real problem is that getting power to the wet room means putting wire through a tiny little crawlspace about 40' long. Remember, that the great room has a vaulted ceiling (no attic).

It took me an entire Saturday to run two 10 gauges wires through that crawlspace. My attic is not finished so I had to climb the ladder on one side, crawl on the beams (roof is to short to walk) all the way to the crawlspace, move the wire a foot until it gets stuck, crawl back out, go down the ladder, walk across the house to the other attic, climb the ladder, crawl on the beams to the crawlspace, fix whatever was causing the wire to stick, over, and over, and over again.

I ran 1 1/4" electrical conduit through the crawlspace, but getting the wire through the conduit without help proved to be difficult and stupid. With a second hand I probably could have done it in a couple hours. I'm kinda stubborn once I get started on something I don't want to stop. LOL

Old 04/17/2004, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
thats good news greg, you guys dont lose power often.

I wish i could say the same in my area of the country. the wind blows and i lose power, so i had to get a generator, i just cant see investing time and money and precious livestock in my case , and not having a backup plan for power loss.
Yeah. Tampa gets more lightening strikes that any other city in the world. So, I guess they've put the proper safegaurds in place because I've lived all over the area, and power is very reliable.

A generator has been on my list for a couple years, but I just haven't seen the immediate need for it. I've had my tanks run with no pumps for days and had no problem. The joys of not overstocking.

Old 04/17/2004, 11:52 AM
Wire Doc

now thats funny

Greg, you dont have to explain to me about pulling wire, in the business we have a saying(if you want to snag something, pull romex thru it) .

We all have our own way when it comes to stocking the tank, lite, medium, heavy, and just plain silly . Most people dont consider a backup plan until it's to late, then they start a thread on it.
Old 04/17/2004, 11:57 AM
Wire Doc

Quote:
Originally posted by gregt
I'm kinda stubborn once I get started on something I don't want to stop. LOL
I dont believe it .
Old 04/17/2004, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

real great tank, love the wk you did on the cabintry finish, just 1 question, why didnt you go with a taller tank? 20" is not alot of height for sps to grow if thats what your planning to grow, man that clown is really getting blown all over that tank, how many time is the water turning? i want mine to do that but i only have a 1" corner overflow bulkhead that is rated at 600gph and on my return pump it pumps 1200gph but with all the headloss it comes back at maybe 300gph in my tank, any sugestion? thx john
Old 04/17/2004, 12:03 PM
Wire Doc

I think since greg will not have any sand in the tank, 20'' should be perfect.
Old 04/17/2004, 12:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I dont believe it .
Actually, my wife kept using the same adjective over and over again while I was working on the tank.

Obsessive.

Old 04/17/2004, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JOHNNYHO
real great tank, love the wk you did on the cabintry finish, just 1 question, why didnt you go with a taller tank? 20" is not alot of height for sps to grow if thats what your planning to grow, man that clown is really getting blown all over that tank, how many time is the water turning? i want mine to do that but i only have a 1" corner overflow bulkhead that is rated at 600gph and on my return pump it pumps 1200gph but with all the headloss it comes back at maybe 300gph in my tank, any sugestion? thx john
Tony nailed the 20" question. The lack of sandbed and the fact that the rocks aren't stacked very high gives me plenty of room for growth. The reason I didn't go any higher was because I wanted to be able to reasonably easily access any part of the tank. A three foot wide tank any deeper than 20" and I would need my scuba mask on to work in it.

Conservatively estimating 3000 gph. It's probably actually 4000.

You could put a closed loop in without drilling the tank. I've got one like that installed on this tank, just haven't gotten to that part yet...