Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/19/2004, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

Lightbulb Heating/Cooling 3000 Gallons???

Large tank crew --

My wife has seen the light!!!! We went to the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas two weeks ago and they have HUGE salt-water ponds, streams, and lagoons. So, she thinks we should add a 2000 Gal pond to the 525 Gal Display Tank that we are putting in.

The question is: what would you do to heat/cool 3000 Gallons of water? When I was planning 1000 G I was going to use a drop-in bayonette heater, and a pair of 1/2 HP chillers (I already own one of them.) But, tripling the size of the system, and 2/3 of it being 2-4 feet into the ground, changes the plan substantially...

Look forward to your input!

--Sean--
Old 03/19/2004, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

You might try asking koi-pond owners...I'm not one, but I've got a buddy/mentor that has reef tanks, and ponds, and my impression from what he's said concerning his ponds is that it's much better insulated being in the ground...So he doesn't need to use a chiller at all, even as hot as it gets here, and he only very rarely needs to use a heater. Of course it will depend largely on where you live and what kind of weather you have, but I'd expect that the large koi-pond owners in your area could give you decent feedback on what kinda hardware you'd need to regulate your temp.
Old 03/19/2004, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

We have GREAT weather around here -- average daytime air temp of 65-90 degF, with occassional weeks of nighttime lows in the 30s... Our ground temp is consistantly between 64 and 74 deg, year-round.

Good call on the pond owners... I'll have to see if there is anything even close to a "pondcentral" in their on-line world.

--SM--
Old 03/19/2004, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

This 2000 gallon pond. Is it inside or outside?
Old 03/19/2004, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

Crawdad...

It will be an outdoor pond. It will sit about 30 feet from the display tank, in raw distance. The spot I am eyeing gets about 6 hours of direct sun daily, so it will likely be a softie/fish pond unless I do some tree triming to put SPS out there...

--SM--
Old 03/19/2004, 07:01 PM
Moved On

for pond stuff i found that these guys are the cheapest.

http://www.azponds.com/mfg%20menu%20page.htm

but you gotta remember to get saltwater seals for all the pumps because ponds are usually freshwater.

oh by the way what did you think about the bahamas?
willie
Old 03/19/2004, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Geothermal?
Old 03/21/2004, 04:12 AM
Moved On

Location: Los Angeles - Where the Sun Grows Frags All Year Long :)
Geothermal will keept he pond cool in the summer time - However, possibly too cool.

Koi ponds are not like a salt system pond - The Koi are slower swimmers when the water hits 50deg. Salt fish are not so accommodating.

I have a Koi pond and 1200+ gal of outdoor SPS.

You will need to heat the system for sure in the winter time, and probably in the non lit hours of the summer time.

You want to look for a gas heater with a titanium heat exchanger, and build your own closed loop.

Even so the cost could get pretty big.

Dave B