Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 11/17/2007, 02:47 AM
Moved On

Thumbs up ATB Conical Shape Skimmer Club

Well, it seems that every other skimmer brand under the sun has its own "club" thread, so why not one for the new ATB conical shape protein skimmers.

Basic information:
ATB website in Austria:
http://www.aquariumtechnik.at/kegelabschaeumer.html

ATB website in USA:
http://atbskimmers.com

Website Specifications:
ATB Nano Cone Skimmer
Length 11"
Width 8"
Height 20.5"
Approx diameter 6"
Pump: Eheim 1250 Threadwheel
Air Draw: 650lph - 700lph
http://atbskimmers.com/product.php?id=55

ATB Small Cone Skimmer
Length 15"
Width 10"
Height 22.5"
Approx diameter 9"
Pump: Eheim 1260 Needlewheel
Air Draw: 750lph - 800 lph
http://atbskimmers.com/product.php?id=56

So far, as I understand, only 2 models have been imported into the USA, the Nano Size Conical and Small Size Conical. Below is a video of the Nano Size. Air draw on this unit is 700lph, almost seems to strong for this tiny body size. In the collection cup is the first 5 days (during the break in period) worth of skimmate. Although the video is much faster than actual, what impresses me about this conical shape model with the bubbleplate is how the bubbles seem to just float up to the top of the collection cup with minimal turbulence. The Ehem 1250 threadwheel pump is dead silent. As you can hear in the video, the exhaust water sound is louder than the pump.

ATB owners, please chime right in with your new skimmers. There's been 2 shipments that came into the USA and they're sold out, so there's got to be a few owners on RC.

Last edited by Lumamae; 11/17/2007 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11/17/2007, 04:38 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Yes, the eheim 1250 that anton mods has seen a very dramatic performance increase on 60hz. In the EU, its a 400lph of air pump. Here, its 660-750 (depends on sump depth), and it needs the water level to be kept rather low to prevent microbubbles.

I suggested putting some kind of restriction on the outlet of the pump to Victor, and he sent me a video last night of it working (cut it all the way down to 480lph). At first, the idea was to remove some of the enkamat, but I didnt think that would do much under such a low pressure application (the smaller the impeller thick/dia just means less pressure handling), and since these cone shape skimmers allow the back pressure on the pump to be almost nothing, it didnt seem like it would do much. Well... Victor tried it, and no, it didnt work, but a small reducer on the outlet of the pump cut the air and water ouptut down to a more managable level. This is only for those who are concerned about the nano pump being too much really (microbubbles), or wanting to run the skimmer in deeper water. The skimmer works fine as long as its in a low water level (6"), and as it is, I hear its a real mud pig.

The other option would be to use an needlewheel rather than the threadwheel... lowering the output a little bit. This would be nice since there are people who might prefer a needlewheel over threadwheel for lower upkeep. Eheim should be releasing their 1255 impeller in spring in 60hz.

Back over to you Lumamae, what do you think? Looks like it skimmed coffee out of your tank.
Old 11/17/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

My one hesitation about the nano is the threadwheel. I do not like the inherent variability that comes with enkamat, thought the performance is always impressive.

It would be great if Anton offered both a needlewheel and a meshwheel for the nano.
Old 11/17/2007, 06:05 PM
lift it up tallways

Quote:
Originally posted by rishma
My one hesitation about the nano is the threadwheel. I do not like the inherent variability that comes with enkamat, thought the performance is always impressive.

It would be great if Anton offered both a needlewheel and a meshwheel for the nano.
I agree, this would interest me as well.
Old 11/17/2007, 07:06 PM
RC Sponsor

So are you guys saying you would rather have a needlwheel than a threadwheel.
Old 11/17/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

If the needle wheel provided almost as good results, I would rather have the needle wheel. Mesh wears out quicker, needs to be cleaned more and like rishma stated sometimes can be inconsistent, when it comes time to replace.
Old 11/17/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

as lecher said, provided we can get enough air flow (say 500-600 lph) I would prefer a needlewheel.
Old 11/17/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

just to be clear, I think I would pay for both mesh and needlewheel impellers so I could determine which worked best for my set-up. This would be ideal.
Old 11/17/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

I think that would be great to have a needlewheel, what's the use of having a meshwheel if it's too much for the skimmer anyways?
Old 11/17/2007, 08:07 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by lecher
If the needle wheel provided almost as good results, I would rather have the needle wheel. Mesh wears out quicker, needs to be cleaned more and like rishma stated sometimes can be inconsistent, when it comes time to replace.
It's a myth that needs to be cleaned more often. I own a Bubblemaster that uses a threadwheel and there's many BM owners that purchased their units a year ago and still haven't had to clean their threadwheels yet. I know that's not true for everyone. Bubblemaster owners check every 3 or 4 months and it's still clean. I think it really depends on your individual setup, if things will get caught in a threadwheel, it certainly will do the same on the needlewheel. As for the mesh wearing out quicker, that's probably true. I don't think the needlewheel will wear out for years, maybe never. But the threadwheel isn't as fragile as everyone may think as it is a pretty sturdy material that is used. I don't think any 1 year owners have had to replace their mesh yet, unless it accidentally came off the wheel and got streaded. Have to check with those running for over a year with a threadwheel and see if they think it will go another year. So, it's $5 every other year, that's not so bad, is it? I think the concern about mesh on a threadwheel is over exaggerated at times.
Quote:
Originally posted by uhuru
I think that would be great to have a needlewheel, what's the use of having a meshwheel if it's too much for the skimmer anyways?
If if were my choice, I would prefer that they increase the body diameter or height to match the more powerful 1250 meshwheel and take full advantage of this powerful pump that they just discovered. Maybe an inch increase in the body diameter and the neck will do it. Nice to have 700lph instead of 480lph and still have full control over it. In looking at lumamae's video, the skimmer does not look turbulent and if the video is running fast, the foaming must really just float up to the top of the skimmer. Why not rebalance the skimmer body to the pump for the USA market, that seems to make more sense to me, and produce a more powerful performing skimmer. In Europe, they can have their 480lph smaller Nano and in USA, we have it's bigger brother. That's my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally posted by Lumamae
ATB owners, please chime right in with your new skimmers. There's been 2 shipments that came into the USA and they're sold out, so there's got to be a few owners on RC.
Isn't this thread for ATB owners to share their experience?

Last edited by CruzinKim; 11/17/2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11/17/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

CruzinKim -

I modded my aquabee with mesh and the performance was great compared to the stock needlewheel, but I did have to clean it quite a bit. i guess a lot of solids get sucked into my skimmer.

I do not have a huge amount of heartburn about mesh wheels, but I do not like the variablility. The mesh 1250 ehiem is probably too much for the nano, so i would rather have a needlwheel move less air and water running wide open than try and restrict the meshwheel to calm things down.

make sense?
Old 11/17/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Isn't this thread for ATB owners to share their experience?

ooops, you are right. sorry.

Where are the owners anyway?
Old 11/17/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

I run a mesh modded QO 3000 on a DIY 8" skimmer and the mesh can be touchy. Cutting mesh the same diameter does not guarantee the same results. I tested different meshes(of the same diameters) multiple times and got varying results until I found a cut I liked. That is why I feel the mesh can be inconsistent at times.

And I do feel this is on topic b/c ATB USA asked the question... "So are you guys saying you would rather have a needlwheel than a threadwheel."
Old 11/17/2007, 09:35 PM
RC Sponsor

Hi
Yes I do agree with you usually meshmod is very inconsistent but on the ATB cone skimmer, I took off a layer and the air intake did not change at all. Thats why I restricted the outlet on the nano instead. The needlewheel impeller should be no problem in the EU eheim has already released there eheim 1255 which comes with a needle wheel impeller. I will inform atb austria that I would like to get a couple of those impellers to test

We are making the nano bigger for the us but to a certain point the reason for this is we are trying to do it without having to raise the cost and still keep the nano size so that it will fit in most sumps for tanks 150 gallons and under. When the skimmer is running at 750L/hr of air it wet skims very well about 1/3 of a cup every two to 3 days of some nasty stuff. But it has a lot of microbubbles for customers with baffles this will be no problem I am just worried for the customers that have a sump with no baffles. Some of the microbubbles might get in the display tank. I appreciate your feedback and from your feedback we will make our products better.

thank you
Old 11/17/2007, 09:38 PM
RC Sponsor

I meant for customers with no baffles the microbubbles will be a problem
Old 11/17/2007, 09:39 PM
RC Sponsor

Nano impeller
Old 11/17/2007, 11:03 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ATB USA
I meant for customers with no baffles the microbubbles will be a problem
Baffles often do not stop very small skimmer microbubbles. These bubbles tend to have "neutral buoyancy" and will ride right through the typical baffle/bubble trap design. Smaller sumps and higher sump flow rates make it very difficult to control. It is preferable that the skimmer does not output microbubbles.
Old 11/17/2007, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

How many layers of mesh are you using on the eheim 1250? When I had the BM 250, all I did was use less layers of mesh and the air draw would be lessened. Can't you just use less mesh if the skimmer has too much air going through it? Btw, it's refreshing to see a vendor being honest about his products. Kudos to you ATB USA!
Old 11/17/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

He already tried reducing the mesh - it didn't help.
Old 11/17/2007, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

Hmm, seems strange. I bet if you put a different type of mesh on it, it would reduce the air.
Old 11/18/2007, 12:26 AM
RC Sponsor

It has three layers of flat back mesh i took 1 layer off. So now it has two layers. The air was still constant at 750L/hr. I reduced the outlet and brought the air down to 480-500L/hr.
Uhuru did you try yours yet?
Old 11/18/2007, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ATB USA
It has three layers of flat back mesh i took 1 layer off. So now it has two layers. The air was still constant at 750L/hr. I reduced the outlet and brought the air down to 480-500L/hr.
Uhuru did you try yours yet?
the flat back mesh work different then the PF4 (7010) change the mesh to it and you will get better result .
Old 11/18/2007, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

this thread has been totally hijacked, but a good discussion. Still waiting for those owners to show some pics!!!

Quote:
the flat back mesh work different then the PF4 (7010) change the mesh to it and you will get better result .
Mavgi - you are right but they dont need better results, I think it would blow the top off the nano skimmer.

Victor, I sent you a PM.
Old 11/18/2007, 12:50 AM
RC Sponsor

Can't hurt to try
thanks Victor
Old 11/18/2007, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rishma
this thread has been totally hijacked, but a good discussion. Still waiting for those owners to show some pics!!!

Mavgi - you are right but they dont need better results, I think it would blow the top off the nano skimmer.

Victor, I sent you a PM.

i try all the type of mesh that exist .....

the flat bottom mesh make more air hard to control and increase the pump watt.....

if you want to reduce the air and to get more steady foam also to control on the air easier then use the PF4 .