Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 09:37 PM
Patient Reefer

Eric..pm'd.
Old 12/03/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

very nice set up! two thumbs up!
Old 12/04/2007, 06:16 AM
Underground Art Studio

Hey Eric, you can get it at any glass shop. Make sure it's 1/4" thick as the stuff at Lowes/HD is way to thin for this much flow. You can have them cut it and grind the edges for each piece being around $8. If you have the tools you can DIY them:

Here I'm grinding down the glass for a good fit with a wet belt sander. You can cut glass with a tile saw and a REALLY good glass blade - I use the MK Diamond 159326 blade. Make sure it's a WET tile saw - without water it will be in a million pieces within a few seconds. You can use a less expensive blade for this use and get good results. I work with glass so I have all the tools, generally I think most have the glass companies do it for them.

albfelix, thank you and I hope you get a tank up soon .
Old 12/04/2007, 07:00 AM
Underground Art Studio

Eric, right in your own back yard!

Here's the Ebay stores link:
http://stores.ebay.com/Reef-Scavenge...rts-and-Corals

Here's the regular store link:
http://www.reefscavengers.com/
Old 12/05/2007, 12:18 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Great build!!! I've been following along as mine goes up as well. I really suggest the pods and Phyco as I'm on day 16 from when the rock was added and my tank is full of fish, coral and the anemone. All are doing fantastic! I know I rushed it and don't recommend doing so, but I didn't have a choice but to move out the old tank. I'm enjoying your progress!
Old 12/05/2007, 07:02 PM
Underground Art Studio

Thanks Marcye! I must say your thread is full of information. It's amazing that your tank is ready for livestock. I'm going to start using the pods and Phyco - sounds like it's wonderful for the corals and not just for start ups. Here's a quote from your build thread: Marcye's build thread "adding the phytoplankton and pods is a great way to bring tanks quickly back after using Interceptor as it helps build up all that are lost during the treatment.". BTW - Love the Solaris lighting - very nice, they certainly have come a long way.
Old 12/05/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

thats right I forgot you were into glass and all that. Sweet you must have a bunch of cool tolls you can use.

I must say it again your work is amazing. I look for ward to retiriing one day and playing. No rush ahhahah I got a long way to go..

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/08/2007, 06:52 AM
Underground Art Studio

Eric - I'll never "retire" it's the type "A" personality in me. I thought I could relax and kind of do nothing for awhile - not! I can't so I just go with the flow, I enjoy life to much to be on the side lines .

Thanks everyone for all the PM's and encouragements, I really appreciate it.
Old 12/08/2007, 07:10 AM
Underground Art Studio

Well I was able to get a couple of DIY rocks done. I fired them in my new kiln so now it's broken in (kind of). It has a new controller with very different features so it will take me some experimental time to get it down. So far it is fantastic!

Here are my new rocks - please let me know what you think. Be a little kind though .

This is the largest one which is about 24 inches x 12 inches and about 10 inches tall.

Another view - This would make a nice hiding place for one of my tangs.

This is my second rock and is about half the size of the first. This one would be more for my little guys to hide.

Another view - all the little specs are vermiculite which will burn out when it's fired.

This is part one of my rock building - I still have a lot more to make but this is a start.

Note: all of the materials that I'm using are reef safe and people safe - in that you can eat off it once it's been fired.
Old 12/08/2007, 05:53 PM
Patient Reefer

!!! Nice Work !!!
Old 12/08/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

LOOKS GREAT!!.
Old 12/08/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

It looks great!!

Just one question. Is it ok that it seems so smooth? the more small holes and such the more surface area right?

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/08/2007, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Carol, the rockwork looks OUTSTANDING! Keep up the good work. I officially started my build today.
Old 12/09/2007, 07:02 AM
Underground Art Studio

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to have these fired and in the tank. I still have a few to make and I'd like for them to have a lot of movement. I'm hoping in doing so will give the tank depth. I'm also going to be putting thin panels on the wall. This will give me ledges to place corals and to cover the Tunze pumps.

Roger - on one side it's a little smooth but still full of all sorts of hidden creases. Inside is where all the action will take place. I haven't made these yet and I'll show you photos after I’ve made a few. The main thing is most of (if not all) of my filtering is going to take place outside the 280 main display. In my sump will be all my live rock - that really was the reason I made the baffles in my sump (when I tested with the skimmer on - no bubbles were seen in the main tank). I wanted to make sure no sand or larger particles were able to get to my pumps - with the live rock placed right before pumps. I have a 75g that is my RDSB, so I can put any amount of sand I like in the display - it's only for the care of the fish/corals I will be keeping (wrasses, other diggers). For more filtration I have a 40g grasses tank that will hold micro algae/mangroves etc. As you see, everything in the display is just for "display". You know I'll be coming up with other ways to have the filtering power of the clay - which BTW, will filter on their own depending on how high I fire them. So, as you see with a 90g sump with live rock, 75g RDSB, 40g grasses/microalgae etc and with one big power house of a skimmer – my display is just a display.

Last edited by ReefArtist; 12/09/2007 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12/09/2007, 07:04 AM
Underground Art Studio

boydx6 - thank you for the kind words . I haven't heard from you in a while and was wondering what was going on. Will you have your build here on RC?
Old 12/09/2007, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Very nice work. How long before you get that tank filled with rock?
Old 12/09/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

I see very good thought out plan

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/09/2007, 07:00 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Very nice Carol! Can't wait to see it done!
Old 12/09/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

They are going look sweet with coraline on them,

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/09/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

wow...

Quote:
Here are my new rocks - please let me know what you think. Be a little kind though .
great work...wow
Old 12/10/2007, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

Cant wait till ur tank is completed its going to awesome
Old 12/10/2007, 07:28 AM
Underground Art Studio

Thanks everyone for the kind words - it really helps when you're busting your butt. I'm always doubting myself - so this really helps.

NewNanoDude - I have so much going on that at this time I don't have a schedule. If I finish something great, thing keep popping up and I've learned to not fight it. Go with the flow - not me at all!

Hoping for some new photos - if I get some things finished .
Old 12/10/2007, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for your thorough journal and pictures of your build. I just read this thread from start to end and learned quite a bit about the logistics one faces with in-wall builds.

Now all I have to do is inform my wife that she will soon be doing laundry in the garage.
Old 12/11/2007, 06:57 AM
Underground Art Studio

Welcome aboard Lobster, I'm glad you found some valuable information on my thread. There are a lot of very talented reefers giving me advice and helping me along this journey. Any large tank is a challenge and to work properly needs planning, patients and lots of $$$$.

Oh - I bet that will go over really well - doing laundry in the garage - NOT!
Old 12/11/2007, 07:18 AM
Underground Art Studio

Ok - I had to replumb a section of my overflow. For some reason the flow from my 280 would start to backup into my frag tank - lots of bubbles, gurgles etc. So - now each of the overflows from the main tank has it's own 2" pipe to the sump and the other tanks (two frag tanks, Infinity) has a 2" return. Now I can have better flow in the frag tanks. That was a pain but I wanted to do it now without livestock. That leaves only the emergency overflow plumbing to complete - all the tanks are complete just making the hole through my block house needs to be completed.

Over the weekend I got 9 chromis and 4 yellow wrasse. Out of the 9 chromis - one died that night and what is strange was the largest. I guess it was to much stress for the little guy - he was breathing hard and gills were red. One other died day two from not having a tail - even with treatment and clean new water infection got him. Everyone else is looking great and very health - these will be my test fish in about two or three weeks. I haven't started testing my water yet but will do today - it does look like it's cycling and I feel just by looking at it I have high nitrates - we'll see what my test has to say .