Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 06/02/2007, 10:33 AM

Wow, your levels are high. WHat is the reasoning behind keeping Ca at 520? I try to keep my levels at Ca: 425, Alk, 9.0: dKh, Mg: 1450...are you getting Calcium precipitation in your system?
Old 06/02/2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Wow, your levels are high. WHat is the reasoning behind keeping Ca at 520? I try to keep my levels at Ca: 425, Alk, 9.0: dKh, Mg: 1450...are you getting Calcium precipitation in your system?

In preparation for the Italian Blu Coral Method. I want my tank to stabilize at these parameters. NSW levels are the safest, while higher levels accelerate growth. Whats most important is stabilization of all elements. I have no precipitation and this is probably due to the high levels of Mg.
Old 06/02/2007, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

I've never seen a system with that high of parameters. I agree stability is the key.
Old 06/02/2007, 07:48 PM

I added 4 more Bluespine's as recommended.

Old 06/02/2007, 07:54 PM
clownfish fan

cool
Old 06/02/2007, 10:04 PM
g0t fIsH

very nice Ed, but is this their first year in elementary?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 06/03/2007, 07:22 AM

Well this morning I woke up to a cloudy tank. I found out that my BTA got sucked into the CL once again. Having this CL is a new experience for me and floating corals like BTA's are very risky. I thought I lost a fish and immediately tested for NH4. It was at 0. My goal was to keep a lot of anemones... but until I fix this problem, I wont add another. I have a new water change that I was going to use tonight, but looks like I will just have to do it this morning.

Bart, shhh... class is in session.
Old 06/03/2007, 08:03 AM
clownfish fan

wow that must have been kind of anoying sorry to hear it.

there are a couple ways to get a BTA to stop wandering you can try sort of holding it in place gently with two rocks on each side (this is what i do)
or you can use a strawberry basket to keep it in place in your tank the CL is very powerfull so you will neeed to get the anemones settled well before feeling safe.

im not sure what you tried or if trying to save the BTA is worth it but they are pretty darn hardy.

that big skimmer must be taking care of your proteins pretty welll if your NH4 is still zero
Old 06/03/2007, 01:10 PM

I got some more new corals from naka yesterday. my SPS rock has been filled up with frags. I also got some LPS from him which are on the other rocks. Once these guys settle in, i plan to work on getting them to grow like weeds. After some good growth, will come the color tuning.

Old 06/03/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

gorgeous tank, the green on the rock really does well with the blue lighting/spotlight.

I love the openscape, it really gives you access to clean the sand when needed.

The tank size is ideal, and everything is within arms reach. Will keep following.
Old 06/03/2007, 01:55 PM
Flips"R"us...U?

Ed,
Sorry you lost your anemone. What are your plans to avoid anemones getting sucked in with your CL? Maybe you can fabricate some sort of acrylic barrier to prevent such scenario.
One of my friend had a surge tank and he only placed anemonies on his tank with plenty of clowns...it was amazing to see!
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 06/04/2007, 10:29 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
I added 4 more Bluespine's as recommended.
Glad you went for it, and I see that all 5 are together, as predicted. Did they join the lone cardinal immediately?
Old 06/04/2007, 10:36 AM
clownfish fan

arghh edward you must have jinxed me because last night my small bright green carpet decided to wander into a heavily modded tunze nano stream......i think i might be able to save it though.
Old 06/04/2007, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
arghh edward you must have jinxed me because last night my small bright green carpet decided to wander into a heavily modded tunze nano stream......i think i might be able to save it though.
Ouch...
Old 06/04/2007, 08:11 PM

spectre, that is exactly how i felt. I could of gone larger, but I felt what was the point when I had these dimensions and could build a great aquascape. Im really glad I didnt go any bigger. The idea is to make it clean and simple.

hawaiian, thats an idea. I havent put too much thought into it, but acrylic is a great option. Im sure that if I find a nice anemone, I will have to think of somethig fast. I will sit on this idea for a while. My goal was to have 5-7 anemones. I really like your idea about having a lot of clowns with it. Do you have any pics?

dudester, at first he ran away and hid. On the second day he joined the crowd and has been schooling with them since. I plan to add more. They are very hardy fish. I love it when they all move together and follow each other. Having one by itself didnt show the potential of these fish.

GSMguy, sorry about that!! This happens to everyone. Find a low flow area. Thats how i got my green carpet a long time ago to settle.
Old 06/04/2007, 08:18 PM
clownfish fan

yes i got it in the low flow now but there is some damage nothing too bad my BTA and LTAs always recovered from a lil damage.

if you are thinking more clowns can i suggest a pair of Rods Onyx they are simply the nicest tank raised clownfish available i love mine
here is the thread about them.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 06/04/2007, 08:27 PM
Onyx Clownfish

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
yes i got it in the low flow now but there is some damage nothing too bad my BTA and LTAs always recovered from a lil damage.

if you are thinking more clowns can i suggest a pair of Rods Onyx they are simply the nicest tank raised clownfish available i love mine
here is the thread about them.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

I second that. I love the Onyx I got from Rod. The hardiest fish in my tank. The only two to survive a 96 degree tank temp when my heater stuck.
Old 06/04/2007, 08:29 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by robster
I second that. I love the Onyx I got from Rod. The hardiest fish in my tank. The only two to survive a 96 degree tank temp when my heater stuck.
yes super hardy and the bodyshape on them is amazing
Old 06/05/2007, 02:07 AM
Flips"R"us...U?

Sorry Ed, I did not have a chance to take a picture of his tank...it was a surge tank. He had different types of anemones and the surge made it look so natural (movement wise)...I wish I had some pics though.
Are you planning to put a specific spot (rock) to house all your nems? I'm planning to dedicate an island type spot in my tank just for my nems and have some sort of spotlight aiming at them like the one in your sps dedicated rock....any suggestion of bulb to use and what K should I get?
Thanks in advance.
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 06/05/2007, 09:30 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianwargod
Sorry Ed, I did not have a chance to take a picture of his tank...it was a surge tank. He had different types of anemones and the surge made it look so natural (movement wise)...I wish I had some pics though.
Are you planning to put a specific spot (rock) to house all your nems? I'm planning to dedicate an island type spot in my tank just for my nems and have some sort of spotlight aiming at them like the one in your sps dedicated rock....any suggestion of bulb to use and what K should I get?
Thanks in advance.
be carefull if two anemones are too close to eachother they can get into some pretty nasty chemical warfare. not always but it definetly happens.
Old 06/05/2007, 09:30 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianwargod
Thanks in advance.
be carefull if two anemones are too close to eachother they can get into some pretty nasty chemical warfare. not always but it definetly happens.
Old 06/05/2007, 09:45 AM

nevermind that, I want to know how he plans to train his anemones to stay on that rock!
Old 06/05/2007, 11:38 AM
Flips"R"us...U?

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
nevermind that, I want to know how he plans to train his anemones to stay on that rock!
I had some success "training" my nems to stay put in one area...just give them the right flow and the right amount of light . My GBTA and RBTA stayed and lived harmoniously in the same rock (side by side) for years.
Here's a little proof

[IMG][/IMG]
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 06/05/2007, 12:27 PM

yeah, my GBTAs seem to stay put buut I'd like to see you try that with an LTA!!!
Old 06/05/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Hi Edward, can't believe i spent the whole nite browsing thru your thread.
can share with us a full frontal tank shot?
how do u construct the rockscape? using any pvc stands or drilling?