Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/05/2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
well, come on now, help out a retard will ya?
Here you go! Let me know if it works for you. Just click on the link: http://invincible569.squarespace.com/power-usage/
Old 08/05/2007, 08:41 PM
clownfish fan

so you like the vortech?

nice Tag
Old 08/05/2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Here you go! Let me know if it works for you. Just click on the link: http://invincible569.squarespace.com/power-usage/
very cool. I'll try it out when I have more brain bucks to work with.

Thanks! (although I am not sure I really want to know the outcome.)
Old 08/05/2007, 09:15 PM
TRC Leader

Cool. Now I can just update it with my own information and see what mine comes up with.
Old 08/05/2007, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

I will update my excel chart and post too. I didn't think of sharing my costs to the world...
Old 08/05/2007, 09:34 PM

GSM, I have only seen the Vortech in person and I really love the output it produces. I first saw it at naka's adn then I saw 2 at a LFS I visited this weekend and that just pushed me even more towards a Vortech. Having 2 in that tank made such a difference. Thanks for the compliment on the TAG.

jnarowe, I felt the same, but in the end, it was not as much as I thought.

Marc, you sure can. Let me know if it works for you.

mcrist, cant wait to see it. Honestly, its good to know all of this and share amongst each other. It steers us into the more economical equipment.
Old 08/05/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

"It is in my best interest to not add any powerheads to the aquarium as it's aestheticaly an eye sore".

I guess you gave into the VorTech!!!
Old 08/05/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

WOW!!!

cal 520ppm, alk - 12dkh and mag - 1560ppm

Please enlighten me???
Old 08/05/2007, 10:32 PM

I find when my alk gets that high I start losing montis.
Old 08/05/2007, 10:34 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I find when my alk gets that high I start losing montis.

i think your Ca and MG need to be high as well
Old 08/05/2007, 10:45 PM

probably right. reefers running the papone method tend to run at high levels too.
Old 08/05/2007, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Yes, it was in Excel. What I did to create the clean look was do a Print Preview, then ran a screenshot and cropped it. You can also save it as an HTML file and it will come out the same way.

The good thing about this is that now I can see where I can save money on reoccuring expenses. For example.. the Euro Reef Skimmer itself to run costs me $22/mo (sedra's & OR Pump). This makes me think about going internal on my skimmer with a less draw of a pump like the BK's. Its not a great savings since the skimmer probably costs 2-3x's more, but if you want to spend a lot of money now and pay little over time, that can be done as well. That was my idea for this tank in case something ever happened to me.. I wouldnt have to worry about paying high reoccuring costs.
Edward, yeah the skimmer pump can cost quite a bit when it runs 24hrs. That's why I run my skimmer pump (mag 18) only 12hs a day during summer and this also helps reduce the heat input to the tank, saving my chiller energy.
The BK is good on low energy pump but it will take A LOT of MONTHS of $22 savings to justify the cost of a BK unless they are super super better than a regular skimmer
Old 08/06/2007, 05:55 AM

Robolton, you can definitely quote me on what I said about powerheads. Sometimes function over aesthetics wins in order to get the best out of your livestock. I've been thinking about the Vortech and how I could make this as clean as possible. I've thought about putting it on the back wall which will look hidden because of the black on black but unsure if it will fit. In order to get the best out of my SPS rock, I need to give them super flow.

As for the high water parameters, I started off this way when I set my tank up in order to make the transition from natural to the BroGri Italian method. Drastic changes create consequences to the corals, therefore the paramaters have been consistently high during the startup phase. I have had no problems at all. Stability is key.

jnarowe, my first coral was a monti undata and it has done very well so far. It has colored up well and grown. I have some new montis so I will let you know how it goes.

fishcraze, I like your idea about leaving it off half of the day. That would definitely cut the cost down in half. Im not sure how my corals would react since PH and 02 levels may change. This would also leave me at risk if the power goes at the end of that OFF cycle. I still like the idea.
Old 08/06/2007, 08:24 AM
clownfish fan

lets see growth shots on those sps
Old 08/06/2007, 03:13 PM

the Vortechs will get covered with coraline algae quite quickly, especially at those params. You may be able to use them behind rocks, but since you have 3 viewable sides, that will be difficult. Maybe have to go with Tunze rocks, but then again you have the wires issue. Also, Vortechs do get hot so keep that in mind...with little space between the tank and the wall, you might have heat issues.
Old 08/06/2007, 04:27 PM
TRC Leader

I don't have a coralline issue on my Vortechs. If you clean them monthly, they'll stay reasonably invisible as you're hoping. If you have to clean them more often to achieve that, I'm sure you'll do it.

What always impresses me about the German tanks I see is their Tunzes look brand new / clean. I want mine clean so they flow well, but I've never gotten them to look as new again, unless I was really determined. Usually it is 97% clean, which is good enough for my reef.
Old 08/06/2007, 04:41 PM
g l a s s b o x

melev i know what you mean about those europeans!

i've tried everything, the only thing so far that works is weekly cleanings with a tooth brush... i must say though, the nanostreams are a breeze with their pressure clips.

ed, any new FTS?

eric

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 08/06/2007, 04:47 PM

and that's why I highly recommend Vortech users get and extra wet side.
Old 08/06/2007, 05:26 PM
Onyx Clownfish

How do you convert KWH to MWH? My KWH rate is just 0.0802. If I convert this to MWH it comes out to .00008. When I input this into the spreadsheet it is way too low. It looks more normal when I just plug in the 0.08. Your thoughts?

Last edited by robster; 08/06/2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08/06/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

invincible569,

What do you like about the BioMatix eAquatix controller?
Old 08/07/2007, 05:55 AM

GSM, Im surprised you asked for growth shots so soon. The corals have been encrusting and growing, but not anything out of the ordinary. I'll post a pic or two to show you later today. Im actually very happy with the color changes the corals have been making and in need of some extra strong flow which may be coming to accelerate growth.

jnarowe, good catch. I didnt think about the heat issue between the wall and the tank. I dont want to take that chance.

marc, I will definitiley keep them clean like yourself.

eric, no new tank shots. I am actually considering holding on off on the FTS for a while. That's the fun part... seeing it evolve into a forest of corals. I had a lot of beef with my last tank when I did this, but I felt it was worth waiting.

robster, .08 should be correct. Is your rate very low where you live?

robolton, the reason I like the BioMatix was because it had a better display and look to it. Funny thing is that Chad (clownrd) and myself have been chatting about the controllers available today. We felt that all of the imported controllers have the style/look, while the ones from the U.S. have the "backyard" look. I have to agree with him. For me, its also aesthetics combined with function. Anyhow, the BioMatix has yet to be released and was due a long time ago. That makes me worry if its still faulty and I wouldnt want that for the brain of my fish tank.
Old 08/07/2007, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

invincible569 - I agree with your consideration of the BioMatix. I liked its features and styling, especially that cool little additional screen, but ended up going with the boring looking Aqua Controller III Pro because its time proven to be reliable. In the end we want stuff to look good but functionality and dependability have to take precedence.

love the way your tank is coming along.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 08/07/2007, 07:09 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
GSM, Im surprised you asked for growth shots so soon. The corals have been encrusting and growing, but not anything out of the ordinary. I'll post a pic or two to show you later today. Im actually very happy with the color changes the corals have been making and in need of some extra strong flow which may be coming to accelerate growth.

jnarowe, good catch. I didnt think about the heat issue between the wall and the tank. I dont want to take that chance.

color shift shots would be just as good

How much space do you have behind you aquarium? my vortech has about 8mm clearance with the light stand and it does just fine hasnt turned off from overheating yet. i would think with your open design if you have the clearance you should be ok
Old 08/07/2007, 11:54 AM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

Hey Edward,
How's your atypical sump designing/construction going?! I’m very keen to see it! Also, may have missed it; are you/will you use your BK400??

I'm nearly done building my new sump, and my BK200mini arrives tomorrow!...
Cheers

Photos of my "Blau Arborescent Dschungel Riff" via the red house.
Old 08/07/2007, 03:14 PM

yeah, and on the heat issue, my tank room temp. is on the high side so that does have an effect on the Vortech temps. They don't shut down but they do slow themselves down, and I can only run mine at about 2/3...still get surface readings on the motors between 125F and 145F, and they crazed my tank...but since we are talking about a fine glass tank, that wouldn't be an issue.