Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/04/2007, 08:45 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Beautiful tank Edward. I really wanted a rimless on my 270 but AO wouldn't make it with a 36" depth. I think the PVC bottom helps out. Good Luck, looks to be awesome!
Old 02/04/2007, 09:12 AM

Oltimer, I agree. I think the new Sfiligoi Stealth may look good over this tank. It's razor thin, but not long enough. Im still keeping my options open. I dont want to rush into anything and regret it. It has to be the perfect light. I was also surprised that AGE was able to build a 6ft rimless tank. They had no issues what so ever going rimless. Like you said, I am the guinea pig.. this is pushing the envelope. Supposedly there are tricks to making a rimless tank. I did get to see a 220 rimless tank recently from Oceanic, but it was tempered. Oh and it had 1/2" glass too. It was setup as a freshwater tank, but it looked amazing. It has been setup for 3-4 yrs. That made me feel better. Since Tommy used to work for Oceanic, that led me to believe he has done this in the past? Thats probably why he was confident on my rimless 300g.

marshall, I will have to figure something out. Now Im glad I made this thread as everyone is now brainstorming. I also had the rust problem. All my tools are also covered in rust. Makes me wonder if all the things in my home will rust now with my rimless tank??

Joe, I hear you. Either way your tank will look awesome. I've been following your thread too. I also think the PVC bottom helps. It definitely stabilizes whats sitting on it. My tank feels solid. The water is halfway up now and having seen any signs of stress.
Old 02/04/2007, 09:24 AM
On hobby time out!

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
I also had the rust problem. All my tools are also covered in rust. Makes me wonder if all the things in my home will rust now with my rimless tank??
Not likely to happen inside the home. Like me, you live in very warm weather. Your AC takes out a ton of humidity out of the home daily. At least mine does. I have 2 units in my house and combined they put out about 30+ gpd of water from their drains. Even more in extremly rainy and humid days.

I had major ventilation and air flow going through my garage and kept the doors open 14-18 hr/day. This still didn't help. There is only so much you can do when it is also humid out. After having to deal with this stuff for years, I ahve come to the conclusion that I would be willing to do it all over aain in a garage the same, but the only thing I would do differently is to completely cover the sump with lids and have all the pipes coming in and out of the sump go through bulkheads at the top of the sump. I would leave a section of the sump, as big as possible, with an easily revomable lid for maintenance and such. I would still vent the garage regardless as it will suck out a lot fo the heat fromt he equipment that will accumulate there. Ballasts, pumps, etc do add considerable heat at the end of a day. A small fan with very little electrical draw blowing on the will also be nice.

OK, enough of that. Back to the tank.............
Old 02/04/2007, 10:13 AM

I have a question for those of you who mixed your salt in your tank... I added 2 bags of Oceanic salt labeled as 125g each. My water is halfway up the tank and its showing no signs of clearing up after 2 days. The water is very cloudy still. I know the concentration is high, but when I placed my first bag in, it cleared up with only 1/3 of the water filled. So now, I added a skimmer to clean out any powder that may be the culprit. Am I just being impatient or do I need to dilute the saltwater even more? Here are some pics.. You can see on the last pic how cloudy the water is still. Circulation is strong. OH, i measured SG and its at 1.05.

Old 02/04/2007, 10:21 AM

alberto, thats good to hear. I was worried. I love your ideas. No reason to hold it in. You can talk to me about it. I also had ventilation in my garage, but over time, my tools were all brown. I had to live with it.
Old 02/04/2007, 12:19 PM
TRC Leader

Edward, when I was using Oceanic salt salt (and a few others) I had it do the same thing if I dumped the salt in without enough water. It would settle out after enough water was added, but left a white coating on things. Not sure what it was, but it may be due to things precipitating out because of how hi the salinity currently is.

Beautiful tank BTW.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 02/04/2007, 12:23 PM
Team RC Member

Looks like a good tank log to follow.
Old 02/04/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

If you can get away with a rimless tank of this size, my plans for a 72x30x24 LWH should be a non-issue. I'm also leaning towards the PVC bottom because I'd like to run a closed loop within the rock structure similar to Naka's setup. It just makes everything look so much cleaner IMO... and the horror stories of drilled glass bottoms failing steer me away from such a setup.

I personally think the Infinity would look great on that tank especially with the 40" depth. I know some don't appreciate it's oversized looks, but I think it looks great. It's top on my to buy list at the moment. We'll see what happens with the Stealth. I'd also need a 72" unit, so it's not on my radar right now.
Old 02/04/2007, 12:57 PM

Thanks Konadog. Thats probably what is happening. Since Oceanic is known for its high levels of elements, this may be the case for precipitation (especially high Ca). Not only that, the water it's in is really cold. I should go ahead and place a heater in it so it will mix quicker. I also need to measure the PH.. maybe its too high. Either way, the skimmer seems to be helping. It has cleared up some what. It's skimming out a lot of the toothpaste look film.

Oldtimer, when do you plan to purchase your tank?
Old 02/04/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

This year...pending basement completion and success of yours. Check your PMs.
Old 02/04/2007, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Edward, Saawwwweeeeeeeet . Congrats on getting it going and thanks for posting so the rest of us can be part of this tank build. I am definately planning my next cube to be rimless. It is really clean looking. You are going to love the open, sleek, Euro design of the tank with the open top and hanging pendants, it is so sleek as a piece of furniture in the house. Best of all the look down factor is awesome . Keep the pics rolling.
Old 02/04/2007, 05:10 PM

Looks like skimming and adding a heater is working. I have been running back and forth unscrewing the skimmer cup and draining it with white cloudy water. Salinity is still high at 1.45. The water is still filling up slowly. From the pic below you can see the white film on the areas I couldnt clean off since the tank is so wide!

Old 02/04/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Keep the pictures coming! this is going to be one beautiful setup and I am eager to see the progress.

Subscribed
Old 02/04/2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by slojmn
Edward, Saawwwweeeeeeeet . Congrats on getting it going and thanks for posting so the rest of us can be part of this tank build. I am definately planning my next cube to be rimless. It is really clean looking. You are going to love the open, sleek, Euro design of the tank with the open top and hanging pendants, it is so sleek as a piece of furniture in the house. Best of all the look down factor is awesome . Keep the pics rolling.
Hey Alicia! I've always loved the rimless look. I've seen it in so many japanese aquariums and it gives it that extra edge in looks. What I like about my aquarium is that when I stand next to it, my head is right above the rim and I can predict the beautiful look it will have by that angle. Now i have another view which is why I didnt go back to in wall. Just wait until I get my aquascape setup! This should be interesting and looks a little difficult, but i love a challenge! As soon as I add my SSB, i can start working on the Aquascape. I have my rocks ready.
Old 02/04/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

i cant wait to see how you set up the aquascaping. are you going to stack rocks from one wall to the other or are you going to create an island design?

shawn
Old 02/04/2007, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Edward is going put the ER skimmer in the middle and build rocks around it!
Old 02/04/2007, 06:41 PM

naka, I didnt want to steal your idea!!

The aquascape will be a surprise. Everyone is doing islands so I have to get away from that. Maybe I will do a penguin tank??
Old 02/04/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

With that depth you can't lose. I'm liking the look some have been doing w/ a inlet or cove and maybe mix in a nice big swim through for the fish.

Do you know what wattage of bulb you will be using? Any preffered ballast (E, HQI)? SE? Lighting was one of the hardest decisions to make. Can get very overwelming.

Chad
Old 02/04/2007, 08:06 PM
Onyx Clownfish

What is the height of your stand?
Old 02/04/2007, 09:09 PM

chad, im about to respond to your email with an answer.

robster, it is 36". In my last tank it was 4 ft. 36" is perfect for a rimless. Not sure how high naka's is? His was perfect too.
Old 02/04/2007, 09:51 PM
Flips"R"us...U?

invincible569,

What's your plan on your circulation/flow?
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 02/04/2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianwargod
invincible569,

What's your plan on your circulation/flow?
Only 2 sources of flow. My return which has 2 outlets and my CL which is run off a dart right now. It seems to be enough circulation from what I can see. I dont plan to have a high circulating tank since I will have a mixed reef. The only high circulation area will be on the SPS area I have planned out. No powerheads.
Old 02/05/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

beautiful tank!!!!!!!!!!!!! those AE guys know what they're doing for sure. Naka's tank is a beaut as well.

I priced a 400g freshwater tank there recently.......WOW!!!!!!

I love the pvc bottom.
Old 02/05/2007, 02:22 AM
Flips"R"us...U?

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Only 2 sources of flow. My return which has 2 outlets and my CL which is run off a dart right now. It seems to be enough circulation from what I can see. I dont plan to have a high circulating tank since I will have a mixed reef. The only high circulation area will be on the SPS area I have planned out. No powerheads.
No usage of powerheads must be nice. I like your simplicity approach. What made you decide to have a mix reef instead of full blown sps system?
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 02/05/2007, 06:43 AM

Thanks Ron. They are about to open a new location, Fish Gallery off of 59/Kirby. It's suppose to be very nice!

hawaiiangod, just like the setup, I want to keep it simple and very natural looking. The other reason is because of the aquascape.. some areas will not have light and SPS can not grow in that area.

Update: the water has cleared up all the way this morning with no white film anywhere. Looks like tonight after work will be SSB time. Now Im making progress.