Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/01/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Giesemanne has a few nice new fixtures that peg the sexy meter : )

Chad
Old 02/02/2007, 12:45 AM
The only GreenMako

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Richard, thank you. I miss my old tank. In my last 100g, I had issues with space. Now, I have no complaints.

I remember seeing pictures of your old tank and I loved it! can't wait to see what your going to do with this one

300Gal SPS tank
Old 02/02/2007, 01:00 AM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

Magnifico!
Old 02/02/2007, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Beauty in the making...

Looks great. that rimless effect will be amazing coupled with a sexy pendent.. top-down views will be cool!
Old 02/02/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H20ENG
I'd LOVE to know what silicone they are using in there. Its beautiful, but I'd be sketched out about it blowing. Any links to ease my mind?
Cant wait to see your build! Thanks for sharing.
I`d love to know too

Wow that`s amazing setup, Cant wait to see it.
Old 02/02/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Welcome to the rimless club!

I'll be watching the build intently. Now if I can just convince the girlfriend our next vacation should be texas, do you guys do tours.
Old 02/02/2007, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Alberto,

The reason for this was because of the rimless effect with a hanging fixture. I love this look. Its more of a modern look. I like to display my tank setup as part of my furniture. I feel that it looks sleek with a nice hanging pendant. And now that its rimless, it should look even better as if you were looking down a shallow reef just by standing next to it. I also wanted a 3 viewable side tank. My aquascape is the most important part of my tank. Once its up, you will see what I mean. The film is vinyl. The installer said it best.. its like putting tint on your car.
We have the same ideals. Its nice to see people who appreciate the beauty of the tank and aquascape as much as they do the corals and fish that go into them.
Old 02/02/2007, 09:32 PM

slovan, in my last tank I had an Aquaspacelight 3x250w. This tank is wider so I am thinking of going SE.

prance, we do tours through our Marsh club. Im sure we will be on the next tour

sptfire, having a clean tank makes a huge difference. You have to present it and not just grow corals. Its like fixing up a car... you can have a fast car.. but you can always make it look better with some upgrades.
Old 02/02/2007, 09:44 PM

Plumbing started.. but not finished. I need to order some gray pvc in 1.5 since they dont sell this locally.

Old 02/02/2007, 09:46 PM

RO/DI water being added.. I also turned on the pump. I still have a ways to go for it to fill up.

Old 02/02/2007, 09:47 PM

Salt added. I added some extra pumps in here which arent in the pic for strong flow and salt to mix.

Old 02/02/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Love the commercial (not for resale) Oceanic Sea Salt, you must have a friend at your LFS.

What skimmer are you planning to use on this system? MakoJ's Deltec 902 is running great on his A.G.E. tank.
Old 02/02/2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by longhornreefer
Love the commercial (not for resale) Oceanic Sea Salt, you must have a friend at your LFS.

What skimmer are you planning to use on this system? MakoJ's Deltec 902 is running great on his A.G.E. tank.
LOL!! Yes I have a friend at an LFS. He's a good friend of mine for many years.

I bought mako's RC500. I had a Euro Reef in the past and it worked fine. I've been tweaking this one and seem to finally have it down. Once I get it on the new tank, I will tweak it some more.
Old 02/02/2007, 11:09 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the info on the current lighting.

I haven't seen any plans for your sump yet. Since you have set the standard for a braceless display, are you going with a braceless sump to match?

Old 02/03/2007, 01:29 AM
Premium Member

Looking good Edward. For some reason i am getting excited over here hehehehe
Old 02/03/2007, 01:41 AM
High Plains Drifter

The tank looks great! Nice and clean, and the PVC bottom just makes it that much more pimp...

Jim
Old 02/03/2007, 02:41 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Looks incredible Edward, I expect nothing less than perfection from you. I remember every detail of your last build thread, your little girl has really grown. You're a real asset to RC! Now start a braceless thread somewhere with 100 pix of eye candy.

Welcome to the braceless club, I can't imagine ever having a canopy again. April can't get here quick enough.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 02/03/2007, 07:56 AM

slovan, wow, thats a nice sump. Who made that?

reefer, you and me!

Thanks Fliger! I have a vision for this tank. Actually I had this vision for several years now and will finally make it to reality. The Aquascaping will be the fun part. The thing I noticed is that I cannot reach halfway in my tank. I felt the, Oh sh** factor! I will have to add some rock in the middle back so I dont have to clean that area. You know me, I like to keep the entire tank clean of any algae.

Well I have added my second bag of salt into the tank. It cleared up on the first bag, now its cloudy again. I added an extra pump for even stronger circulation since there is more volume of water in there since last night. The tank is 1/3's full now. I will most likely stop at halfway since the rocks and sand will cause the water level to go higher. I also have some water in those rubbermaids I have been skimming out. I may use that as extra since it has cycled already. My Ca Reactor is also ready. I just need to fill up the C02 bottle and start painting the back wall in the garage and start tearing things down to start from scratch again. All my new equipment will go in the garage again.
Old 02/03/2007, 08:12 AM
On hobby time out!

Quote:
All my new equipment will go in the garage again.
A word of advise from someone that has done the garage equipment/sump for years. I know you have too, so take it for what is worth to you. One thing I have found is that regardless of what I have done in the past including massive ventilation, I have not being able to get rid of the "everything in the garage rust to no end factor". I decided that the next time I do this, I will cover the sump entirely so there is no water exposed to air here. My skimmer is so massive and draws in so much air that oxygenating the water should not be an issue at all. The other issue is that water tends to heat up making the chiller run so much more = more electrical use, especially in hot areas all year round like FL and TX. Covering the sump should insulate the water much better too lowering the ciller run time as well. A friend of mine in NC with a very large tank (about 1000g system too) already tried the covering the entire sump idea ad it has worked out great for over a year.

Although I do appreciate a nice looking set up and neat equipment/cable lay out, I think you and a few others have taken this to a whole new level. You concentrate more on the looks of the hardware than most do in their entire tanks. I for one concentrate on the tank looks alone leaving the equipment to functionality only. I do make things neat too mostly so I can easily deal with it when an emergency arrives, but I guess I do not go to the extent of obssession as some people go with grey/black tubing (which I personaly don't find any better looking than white). Don't get me wrong here. I am not by no means bashing/flaming you. It is just an observation, so please don't take any offense to it. I think I am plain enough to make it very very clear when I am trying to offend someone, and you I have no reason to offend. Yet

Keep up the good work!
Old 02/03/2007, 08:23 AM

Alberto, you just offended me!! just kidding.

I didnt see any harm in your observations. I totally understand where you are coming from. Like you said, you want functionality, but I also want functionality and presentation. It's the same idea for the rimless effect.. I didnt have to get that and the corals would of been fine, but it takes it to a whole new level when your presenting it. By the way, the gray plumbing gives it more of a stealth look in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip on the sump. I never realized this. I will definitely have to try this out. What would also make sense if this is true is to get a thicker sump to keep it insulated even more. Now we are on to something. Excellent tip Alberto! If you have anymore suggestions, please feel free to comment. I take all of this as constructive criticism.
Old 02/03/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Invinc,
Did'nt you have a BK400 waiting to go on the new tank?
Old 02/03/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Edward, as Alberto said I think totally enclosing the sump from the rest of the garage is a great idea. I know others have had problems w/ things rusting in their garage as well. Would it be possible to build a wood box big enough to cover everything? If it were to get too big you could add caster to the bottom so it would roll away/on to the sump area. Also if it were on a Ext. wall you could vent it outside. Might not even need a fan but in the long run would probably be a good idea to help w/ mold/ rot type issues to the wall being covered.

Just thinking out loud

Chad
Old 02/03/2007, 03:42 PM

baros, yes. It was with me for a period of time but not anymore due to undisclosed circumstances.

Chad, definitely an idea. I have some thinking to do on how I want to handle this. Alberto's idea is promising.
Old 02/03/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Awesome tank. I'm excited to see this setup develop. I've been interested in doing a rimless tank ever since Naka's 180 hit the forum, but I always wanted a 6 ft long tank. I never expected to see a 6ft rimless tank though! Thx for being my guinna pig! I'll be watching closely. I think a SFILIGOI fixture would look amazing on that tank and the Infinity should offer great front-back coverage.
Old 02/04/2007, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dgasmd
"everything in the garage rust to no end factor".
I can certainly attest to that. My 90 gallon frag tank/plumbed into main system is in the garage, as well as the upper canopy of the display venting into the garage. My garage is >1000 sf and nothing like watching thousands of dollars of worth of Snap On tools and a 67 GTO rusting away faster than you can keep up with. I plan on doing like chad said and enclosing the frag tank with a walls and door and venting the whole shebang outside. My system (340 gallons) evaporates ~6 gallons per day @78 degrees. Our summers are relatively mild here with low humidity.

Edward, with the increase in system volume of your new set-up, this may become an issue you didn't encounter with your previous system. Just a heads up.

Marshal