Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/21/2004, 12:36 AM
Premium Member

Hayward Pool Pump vs Iwaki Pumps?

IMO - Iwaki pumps are great for everything except for the heat they pump into your system. I have an MD70 running my skimmer and an MD100 providing circulation to my 200 gal Oceanic Tank. With an ambient temp of 74*F, my 1/2hp chiller runs for about 45min every 75 min, and it doesn't seem to make any difference whether my lights are on or off i.e. it runs the same cycles at night. I am considering changing my pumps out with 1hp Hayward Pool Pump… the pump is advertised as being able to handle saltwater so it should be safe in regards to corrosion.

Can anyone offer any advice here? How often do you have to replace the shaft seals? How bad does the pump leak when the seal starts to go out? The impeller housing is not connected directly to the motor so I cannot imagine there being much heat transfer from the motor; am I correct here?

Additional info: I am planning for the ~6000gph output to be split out three ways - 2000 gph for wave making via electronic actuated valves, 2000 gph to my new skimmer and 2000 gph through my chiller which then will feed to a spray bar at the bottom back of my tank.
Old 02/22/2004, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Im pushing two 1.5hp Haywards and they run very warm on my tank. My total gallons is about 800. My heaters almost never come on. The tank is at 80. They are very strong pumps and are saltwater rated but are noisy and run hot.
Old 02/22/2004, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

Mastino mike:

How much electricity do those Hayward pumps draw?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 02/22/2004, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

I just looked at my pumps and 1 of them is a 1hp and it draws 12 amps. Im thinking the other draws about 13. Both pumps are on 15 amp breakers. Im thinking of switching one of them out to a cooler pump when I get get the cash. I had them in the shed from a above ground pool that we took down last year and had new motors put in. They pull alot of current but are very strong pumps.
Old 02/22/2004, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Mike,

You say your heaters almost never come on; I don't even own a heater! How much of your heat is coming from your lighting? As I mentioned, my tank heats up even with the lights off; see the attached pdf file for yesterday's temp graph. (Ambient temp of 72*) I have my tank parameters set up for a temp between 77* & 78.5*.

Have you had any problems with the shaft seals on your pumps? How hard is it to replace the seals? I am designing my new setup with tons of true union ball valves, so I will be able to take the pump off the system relatively easily.

Thanks for your input..

On another note - does anyone know where I can get saltwater safe pressure gauges? I would like to find something in the 30psi range so I can accurately monitor the pressure being supplied to each of my three outlets. I have looked at some industrial supply places and they have stainless steel gauges but they are in the $60+ range… I am looking to spend a few $ less than that. Gauges off of a RO system could be a possibility but the ones I have seen are in the 100psi range??
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tank temp.pdf (10.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 02/22/2004, 11:52 AM
Seamonkey on my back

changing out the shaft seal on that pump is fairly easy,
should take less than 20 minutes.
let me know if you want a run down on doing it.

Rick
Old 02/22/2004, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

I only push my mh when Im viewing the tank so they dont contribute to my heat issues at all. I run pc's the rest of the time. Havent had to change the seals yet but it looks fairly easy to do.
Old 02/23/2004, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

I'm surprised you're getting that much heat transfer from the pumps.

I run two Iwaki MD100RLTs on my tank and my 1/2 HP Chiller never comes on in the winter. My heater turns on every so often to keep the tank above 76. My room temp averages 68 - 72 (night time / day time).

Are you sure 2,000 gph thru a 1/2 HP chiller isn't too high? I'm running about 500 gph, as recommended in the instructions.
Old 02/24/2004, 12:29 AM
Premium Member

SamsonNY

Actually my Iwaki MD70 is providing the flow for my chiller (Max flow of 1500gph).. I have the plumbing set up so that water flows to the chiller, then to the skimmer, and then into the sump.

According to Aqualogic's web site the flow rate for a 1/2hp Delta Star chiller is: "Flow (gpm) Min/Max 12/25" So, at 25gpm that would calculate to 1500gph and with the skimmer back pressure I am sure that the flow rate is less than that.

Thanks for your response.

BTW... I have just completed the installation of my new ~70gal sump I will be posting pics in the next couple of days.
Old 02/24/2004, 03:11 PM
How YOU doin?

Re: Hayward Pool Pump vs Iwaki Pumps?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladez
The impeller housing is not connected directly to the motor so I cannot imagine there being much heat transfer from the motor; am I correct here?
There will not be much heat transferred directly from ther motor. There probably isn't much heat transferred from the Iwaki motors, either. There will still be heat generated based on pump/impeller ineffeciency.

The motor effeciencies are probably about equal. Find out how much amps the hayward pumps draw compared to the pumps you have now. Or, you can call around or search the web and try to find an EFFICIENCY CURVE. It's like a head curve, but plots pump efficiency (not motor efficiency) against flow. Higher efficiency = less heat for a given flow.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 02/28/2004, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Re: Hayward Pool Pump vs Iwaki Pumps?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladez
Can anyone offer any advice here? How often do you have to replace the shaft seals? How bad does the pump leak when the seal starts to go out? The impeller housing is not connected directly to the motor so I cannot imagine there being much heat transfer from the motor; am I correct here?
Haywards are used a lot in public aquaria...great flow and pricing but they do transfer some heat. You need to blow the dust out of the housing occasionally to maximize the life of the bearings. Shaft seal leaks manifest themselves as salt creep right below the motor/impeller housing interface before you actually get water dripping or flowing. Usually good for a year or two. When the motor dies (years down the road, especally if you take good care of it) you can replace it for less than a new pump.

www.uscosupply.com sells a pressure guage isolator that keeps the sea water out of the guage...
Old 02/28/2004, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

papafish34,

Thanks for the info on the pump... As for the gauge isolators, what are the prices? I went to the web site, but I guess I'll have to order a catalogue in order to see any pricing.

I have been planning this upgrade since October of last year. I now have all the equipment, less the guages, that I need… Now I need to figure out how I want to lay out all the plumbing and find a free weekend to install it!!

New Pump:

New Sump (Installed 2/21-2/23):

New Skimmer:

Last edited by Bladez; 02/28/2004 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03/09/2004, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

sorry for the delay...chemical gauge guards are about $58...cool photo's...which pump model is that ? and the skimmer?
Old 03/14/2004, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

papafish34

Thanks for the pricing info on the gauge guards… However, I think that I am going to go with some all stainless steel gauges. I have been doing some research and I found some all stainless steel gauges on Grainger's web site for ~$24 each (5ZP93 & 95)

The pump I have pictured is a SP1580 PowerFlo LX
Pump Details:
Hayward Pumps
$183 @ Waide's Pools & Spas. When I ordered last fall I got free shipping, but I don't know if shipping is still free currently.

As for the skimmer, it was custom made by a seller I met on eBay. If you're interested, Jeff is his first name and his eBay ID is baileytoo.
Skimmer dimensions are: 48" Tall with an 8" Diameter reaction chamber and it is powered by dual Beckett injectors.
Old 03/15/2004, 11:51 AM
Moved On

I have had problems with the very few Haywards I have had in my possesion. SO I am not a fan of theirs. Iwalkis are heat machines but they are real reliable. Ever think about JESCO, Sequence or Dolphin HH?