Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/25/2004, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Link to my 180G project

Now that I physically have a 180G tank on my kitchen island, I thought I would post this. Sorry for the link but the "other" board has all the info, start to getting close done...

Here it is

Greg
Old 02/25/2004, 04:55 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

reminds me of the very slow 180gal upgrade I am starting. At this point, the glass tank is on the floor in my front room. Visited the guy that is making the stand today. The thought at this stage in the game is to have a steel frame constructed, powder coat it, and then use that as the internal framework for the actual stand that will be cherry (natural finish). Hopefully the quote on the coating isnt too much.

Without the steel frame, there would have been enough wood in the thing to build a ship.

-Ben
Old 02/25/2004, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

Funny...we are both going from a 58G to a 180G...

Greg
Old 02/25/2004, 09:12 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"yea baby, yea!"

Ben
Old 02/26/2004, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Would all that flow in your system with the closed loops and what not be necessary for a FOWLR 180 gal setup? Just wondering because I am looking at getting a standard Oceanic Reef Ready setup and it woud not be drilled for a closed loop.
Old 02/26/2004, 12:37 PM
On hobby time out!

geshields:

You should be beaten with a thick wet noodle for posting those pictures. You make it look so easy a 4 year old could do it in an afternoon. Great work. The tank and stand look super. Kudos to you dude.

Just one question: where did you find was the cheapest place to get those union valves and bulkheads?
Old 02/26/2004, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Greg,
Good job amigo, if'n ya ever need a job

James
Old 02/26/2004, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the compliments.

Quote:
Just one question: where did you find was the cheapest place to get those union valves and bulkheads?
I go to Seelye Plastics because I have an account setup with them for my business...

Quote:
Good job amigo, if'n ya ever need a job
James...I had a good mentor.....you...hopefully I won't need a new "real" job anytime soon but thanks anyway Also, thank you for all the help you provided along the way. As you can see from the final tank pic, I strayed somewhat from the original diagram I sent you. I was having a hard time fitting 2 1.5" pipes with dursos plus return plumbing in "square" overflows so i went with the tradition rectangular boxes..

Quote:
Would all that flow in your system with the closed loops and what not be necessary for a FOWLR 180 gal setup? Just wondering because I am looking at getting a standard Oceanic Reef Ready setup and it woud not be drilled for a closed loop.
This much flow would be entirely un-necessary in a FOWLR. I have a 99.9% SPS tank and they love flow, that is the reasoning behind the almost 11,000 GPH through my tank..

Greg
Old 03/05/2004, 03:08 AM
Premium Member

Looks like it's gonna be a nice setup. What are your plans for a sandbed(if any) with 61X turnover? If you are having a sandbed what grain size do you have planned? Also, how do you plan to mount the sea swirls? Just wondering because I am going to have holes for sea swirls drilled in the front corners of my new tank but I haven't figured out how I will mount them yet.
Old 03/05/2004, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Travis,

sandbed will be about 1" of the Carib-Sea special grade reef sand or the fiji pink. I have a high volume of water coming through the tank, but not high velocity...

Sea swirls: 2 in front corner, 1 in middle of back. I made cutouts in the acrylic for them to fit into and made sure they were at least 1" away from the "walls" so snails could not knock the elbows off...

Greg
Old 03/05/2004, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

So will the cutouts for the sea swirl outlets along with hard plumbing pretty much hold them in place without the need for any extra brackets?

Thanks
Old 03/05/2004, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Yes, the sea-swirls will be hard plumbed with gray SCH40 pipe...
Old 03/05/2004, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

The other thing you can do is run a bead of silicone adhesive between the Sea Swirl and the acrylic. If you use a good adhesive like #795, the Sea Swirl won't go anywhere.

James
Old 03/05/2004, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

James,

That is exactly what I have done with my current swirls. I have 2 that are siliconed to the inner lip of my Oceanic 58G...they ain't going nowhere...I have to use a razor blade to free them...

Greg
Old 03/06/2004, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Sounds good. Thanks guys.
Old 03/14/2004, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

hey greg,

sounds like we have similar plans for our setups, thats kinda funny. PM or call me soon, i have some questions regarding return plumbing and bubbles